Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial Observations of Trip Planner in 6.2 Firmware for FL destinations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the 6.2 firmware yesterday, and started fooling around a bit with the trip planner feature. The timing couldn't be better, because I'm heading up to Gainesville for the Orange & Blue Debut on Friday. I live in SW Davie (practically Weston, I'm just west of I-75), and I plotted the course to Payne's Prairie. Payne's Prairie is the campsite where we'll be staying, which is about 10 miles south of campus.

Right off the bat, I could see that there is room for improvement. It seems as though it plots a course to the nearest Supercharger along the way rather than the most optimal, which is a bit disappointing. It routed me to Port St. Lucie first and then to the Turnpike through Turkey Lake. The Port St. Lucie Supercharger is 111 miles from home and it's another 120 miles to Turkey Lake. The trip planner put the recommended charging time at Port St. Lucie at 50 minutes (I have a 60 kWh battery pack).

The optimal route would be to go to Ft. Drum as the first stop, rather than Port St. Lucie. It's 143 miles from home to Ft. Drum, and only 79 miles to Turkey Lake. Even in my 60, I can easily make it to Ft. Drum without any issue. In addition, with the second leg being 32 miles closer, the charge time at the first stop should be a good bit less than 50 minutes. The navigation estimated the total trip time at around 6h 50m. I figure I should be able to shave off 30m of that with the more optimal route going through Ft. Drum instead of Port St. Lucie.

There's also room for improvement when navigating out of range of the Supercharger network. For grins, I put in Key West as a destination (Marathon is not up and running at the time of this post), and the navigation had no idea what to do. To drive to Key West from my home, a normal person would essentially drive due south from I-75, to the Turnpike, to US 1.

However, the navigation routed me to Fort Meyers, which is the nearest Supercharger to my home, 118 miles WNW. Then from Fort Meyers it navigated to Key West, which would have me backtrack the 118 miles I drove to get there, then take I-75 S, Turnpike, and US 1 to Key West. The navigation also informed me that I wouldn't have sufficient charge to arrive at my destination. Ummm.... yeah... :confused:

The new trip planner does provide a decent rough estimate. However, since Florida has a number of Superchargers within close proximity (Fort Drum/Port St. Lucie/West Palm Beach (coming soon) and St. Augustine/Port Orange), it's rather likely there are more optimal routes (vs. the 6.2 trip planner's route) when travelling through those clusters.

I'm curious as to what sort of results would come from plotting routes through those clusters in a car with an 85 kWh pack. On one hand, the 85 kWh charges faster, which would help to offset the problem I'm experiencing with less optimal routes. However, the longer range does provide more alternatives to decide between shorter and longer legs. If anyone with an 85 kWh has gotten the 6.2 update, I'd love to hear their observations on plotting different routes through Florida.

All-in-all, the trip planner is certainly a welcome feature (one I had had requested myself some time ago). I'm fairly confident that future releases will have more optimal routing, especially for those of us with 60 kWh packs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right off the bat, I could see that there is room for improvement. It seems as though it plots a course to the nearest Supercharger along the way rather than the most optimal, which is a bit disappointing. It routed me to Port St. Lucie first and then to the Turnpike through Turkey Lake. The Port St. Lucie Supercharger is 111 miles from home and it's another 120 miles to Turkey Lake. The trip planner put the recommended charging time at Port St. Lucie at 50 minutes (I have a 60 kWh battery pack).

I was a bit hasty in my initial observations. Today is our trip, and I went ahead and charged to 100% overnight and re-plotted the course. Now the navigation does indeed have us routing through Ft. Drum as the first stop, so the initial course I plotted was based on current charge (makes enough sense). I think I did have enough charge to get to Fort Drum the first time I plotted the trip, but I think it would have left me with less than 10% remaining on arrival to the Supercharger.

It may be that the trip planner is a bit more conservative and wants to leave the driver with plenty of wiggle room between chargers. Perhaps in a future release, they'll provide the option to adjust the remaining percentage buffer between charging stops. Right now the only option in the apps settings for the trip planner is to turn it on or off.

The new plot is also recommending we skip past Turkey Lake and go straight to Ocala from Ft. Drum, but to make that leg of the trip we'd need to make a 1 hr charge stop (according to the trip planner). I think we could make a much shorter stop to gain sufficient charge to travel to Turkey Lake, make a short stop there as well, and be in good shape to get to Ocala. I probably will stop in Turkey Lake, just to see the Supercharger there and to check off another Florida Supercharger off my Supercharger list. :biggrin:

So far, I've stopped at all the I-95 Superchargers (except for WPB, which just recently went up), as well as Fort Meyers. I'm not sure if we'll go all the way up to Lake City yet or not, we may go by and see some old friends there in my hometown.

I've just come back from Tallahassee via Lake City. What I've found with the Trip Planner/Range Assurance program is it'll only show what Superchargers are within range for your current battery state. For example, leaving Lake City going to Turkey Lake skipping Ocala is doable in an 85Kw. It's 145 miles. With less than 80% charge, it says you'll have to recharge at Ocala. Once charged to more than 85%, it then shows ok to Turkey Lake. The threshold buffer seems to be set about 15%. I found this out because I stopped at a rest stop about 30 miles north of Ocala. It had been showing 16% remaining once at Turkey Lake at this point. When I started up again, initially it said less than 10% remaining, need to recharge at Ocala (how it lost 6% for a 5 minute stop I don't know?!). With more than 50% remaining, I knew there was plenty of charge to make Turkey Lake still so I passed Ocala and tried resetting it. Initially it kept wanted me to turn back to Ocala! Once I was far enough south of Ocala, it then said ok to Turkey Lake. When I got to TL, it had 20% remaining. I think they need to work out the kinks a bit. Maybe lowering the threshold to 10% or making it user adjustable or even a switch to disable Range Assurance. RA is good for new Tesla drivers but old timers will probably get frustrated like I did!

Last edited:
After taking the trip, and using the trip planer a bit more, I think maybe my initial observations weren't so far off afterall. It sometimes does some odd routing that just doesn't make sense. On our way back when we were travelling between Turkey Lake and Ft. Drum, I was fooling with setting different destinations. When I set home as the destination, it tried to route us through Port St. Lucie even though we didn't have enough charge to get there. We charged up enough to arrive at Ft. Drum w/ a 15% buffer (in-line w/ Dan's observations).

Perhaps they'll come out with a service release before 6.3 to work out some of the bugs.

Does anyone with 6.2 know if there is an app or a desktop version of this software. I'm waiting for my MX so I don't have one to play with but I did test drive the P85D and tried the trip planner a bit. Even after I have my car, I would still like to be able to sit in my office and plan a trip.

Does anyone with 6.2 know if there is an app or a desktop version of this software. I'm waiting for my MX so I don't have one to play with but I did test drive the P85D and tried the trip planner a bit. Even after I have my car, I would still like to be able to sit in my office and plan a trip.

Tesla doesn't have a desktop versions of the 6.2 firmware.

If you are planning a trip EVTripPlanner.com is very helpful.

Larry

Using 6.2 drove me crazy. While driving from Naples to Myrtle Beach, SC we stopped in Savanah, Ga. At the Savanah Supercharger charged my Model S to 220 miles of range. Drove to the Historic Savanah area and walked around. Leaving Savanah had 200 miles of range and set the GPS to Santee, SC Supercharger (110 mile distance). The GPS routed me to the Savanah Supercharger. I cleared it and tried again, still being routed to the Savanah Supercharger. I'm on I-16 and the GPS won't take me to Santee. So I exit the Interstate and find a place to park. Reset the displays and try again. GPS still wants me to go to Savanah.

So I look at the GPS and select Trip. Now I have to clear charging stops and the GPS finally shows the Santee Supercharger as my location. Wasted 30 minutes with our new improved GPS. I know the range of my car and don't need the car to hold my hand.

I always allow a 30% buffer when traveling (110 miles needs 145 miles range to make the trip). Tesla please make the charging stops optional.

I too was at the Orange and Blue weekend. Next time we should meet for a beer! We are buying a house near campus if you ever need a place to charge...

I traveled from Port Charlotte with my P85D. I noticed that the software seems to route to every charge station - regardless of it I actually need it. It had me stop at Brandon and again sixty miles later at Ocala. I was able to get a full charge at the Hampton Inn at Gainesville, but it also wanted me to stop at Ocala on the way home. I passed it and charged at Brandon and got home with plenty of juice to spare.

I did also notice that the routing on the Telsa map is ATROCIOUS! Worse than bad. Traffic was backed up on I=75 for 30 miles and I tried to route around it, but the software kept trying to force me back to 75. There is no way for me to set a road as 'off limits' as I can with other software. It also seemed oblivious to traffic while routing. In addition there are two bridges near where I live which have been out for over a month yet the Tesla tries to route me over them (and into the canal!) every time I try to engage it. Google maps recognizes the bridges are out. Hell - even Apple Maps knows they are out. What's up with Tesla??? I thought we were cutting edge?

Tesla trip planner is driven nag me bats too. I was driving Miami-West Palm Beach a couple days ago. I had 120 mi range showing as I left, and planned to charge at West Palm Beach Supercharger. Trip planner does not recognize the Riviera Super harder so routed me 110 miles to Port St Lucue to return to West Palm. This idiotic logic makes the TripmPlanner worse than useless and induces, nit eliminates, range anxiety.

I too was at the Orange and Blue weekend. Next time we should meet for a beer! We are buying a house near campus if you ever need a place to charge...

Go Gators! Be sure to put your place on PlugShare, having a HPWC near campus would be awesome. I'll bring the beers. :biggrin:

I feel better knowing I'm not alone in experiencing poor routing with the Trip Planner. I suppose it really is beta quality. Hopefully it'll be much improved in 6.3. I did get a service release earlier this week, but I doubt it changed anything with the Trip Planner, it's probably the typical bugfix release that I usually get a week or so after the main release.

Ok guys, there is a way around this madness called 6.2 lol When you load a trip in the nav, you'll notice a button called "trip" on the bottom left of the route screen. Hit that and it'll list all the intermediate stops. There's an option to remove those intermediate charging stops and voila, you have the earlier pre-6.2 nav screen again, ie. just the departure and destination showing. I found you also get a warning if you are about to go out of range of "known chargers". Obviously if you know you can charge ahead, hit cancel.

One other thing that annoys the hell out of me and it's not just Tesla/Google maps, Garmin does it too. Instead of saying straight on through multiple junctions then turn left or right it'll show a bear left or right arrow when it really means straight on! In Europe, my Garmin portable unit says straight on. Why they can't use that here I don't know? What I do now is ignore those bear left/right arrows and look at the smaller dash display. That shows where you actually turn.

Ok guys, there is a way around this madness called 6.2 lol When you load a trip in the nav, you'll notice a button called "trip" on the bottom left of the route screen. Hit that and it'll list all the intermediate stops. There's an option to remove those intermediate charging stops and voila, you have the earlier pre-6.2 nav screen again, ie. just the departure and destination showing. I found you also get a warning if you are about to go out of range of "known chargers". Obviously if you know you can charge ahead, hit cancel.

Yeah, that's what I did to manage through the silliness. I'd set the destination to the next Supercharger that made the more sense, then go in and cancel the intermediate stops.

The software does make some fascinating decisions. We were heading North on the Turnpike last weekend, and instead of just turning into the Fort Drum Plaza, navigation thought it would be a good idea to drive 6 miles past it to get to Route 60, head 16 miles East on 60, do a U-turn and come 16 miles back West on 60, then 6 miles back South on the Turnpike to come at it from the other side. Though it was nice enough to tell us that we didn't have enough charge in the battery to make it to our destination if we did that.