Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voluntary fix offered for Roadster models 2.0 and 2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:16 p.m.
Tesla Initiates Voluntary Recall After Single Customer Incident

PALO ALTO, Calif., Oct 01, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Tesla Motors has launched a voluntary safety recall on Roadster models 2.0 and 2.5. The recall involves the 12v low voltage auxiliary cable from a redundant back up system that provides power to various systems, including the headlamps, taillights, turn signals and hazard lights, and airbags in the unlikely event the primary 12V power fails or drops below a minimum threshold value.

Located forward of the passenger side front wheel, behind the headlamp, the 12v low voltage auxiliary cable is physically isolated from the main battery pack in the rear of the car.

Tesla decided to initiate a recall after the low voltage auxiliary cable in a single vehicle chafed against the edge of a carbon fiber panel in the vehicle causing a short, smoke and possible fire behind the right front headlamp of the vehicle. This issue is limited to the 12V low voltage auxiliary cable and does not involve the main battery pack or main power system.

Once aware of this single incident, Tesla quickly determined that a voluntary recall was an appropriate precautionary measure. The recall affects 439 Roadsters.

Tesla has made corresponding regulatory agencies aware of the discovery and has already initiated a correction in customer cars. The correction involves checking the routing of the 12V low voltage auxiliary cable and installing a protective sleeve over it. Tesla's Service team has started notifying customers via email and has initiated a mailing campaign. Tesla Service Rangers can perform the service at customers' homes or offices. The service takes approximately one hour.

This recall does not impact earlier Roadster 1.5 vehicles (VIN ending with 500 or before) as these cars do not include the 12V auxiliary cable in question.

I wonder if this is global or North America only?
( Haven't they delivered more than 439 2.x's ? )

It must be worldwide - I had the fix on my UK 2.0 car yesterday. Looking at the wiring it was not a big issue / unlikely to cause a problem (having said that I am in no way qualified to say that!). The wheel / wheel arch cover has to be removed. As they say it does not take long.

Alan

Tesla recalls 439 Roadster 2.0 and 2.5 electric cars due to fire hazard

Tesla recalls 439 Roadster 2.0 and 2.5 electric cars due to fire hazard

Tesla Motors is pretty proud of the fact that it decided to recall 439 Roadster 2.0 and 2.5 vehicles after a single one saw "a short, smoke and possible fire behind the right front headlamp," but a fire hazard in every one of 439 shipping products isn't exactly a ratio to be boasting about.

When my Roadster was delivered in mid-September, the left headlamp had condensation inside it. A few days ago, the Tesla Technician for Toronto (Dustin) came out and removed and resealed both headlamps. It took about 3 hours for each lamp as he had to jack up the car, take off the front tire and get at the lamp from behind to remove it so that a new gasket could be applied.

I also asked about the voluntary recall and he said he would be applying the sleeve to the affected cable on my car. I had to go to work (to make money to pay for the car) so I did not see him perform the repair, but as others have mentioned, it does not seem to be a long or complicated procedure. I'm just glad to have the headlamps and the wiring brought up to current recommended levels.

Recall fix

Here's a photo of the recall fix in progress. On the right you can see the auxiliary 12V backup battery. The unprotected black and red wires could potentially rub against a CF edge just below the wires. The fix is to wrap them in a protective jacket and tuck them in behind the ledge that is right above the wires.

Since this was a recall they sent the mobile ranger (Dustin) for free. Normally warranty repairs require the $1/mile round trip fee. The recall was handy because he's doing the headlamp fog repair and a few other minor updates at the same time.

photo.JPG

Interesting.

So there is a 12v (Lead?) backup battery. They did not mention a secondary battery in the service message. I wonder what it is used for..
Enable tow mode, when your cars battery is fully depleted?
Making sure your lights and other 12V devices will still work for a while, when the main battery is disconnected due to a failure/crash etc..?

I don't think I've heard of any EV without a 12V aux battery. When the car is switched off, the traction battery is disconnected. Everything that happens before the traction battery contactors engage needs the 12V battery. The 12V battery also powers all the 12V gear, so lights etc work with the "ignition" off. Disclaimer: I don't know how Tesla has done this, this is how the earlier EVs did it.

I don't think I've heard of any EV without a 12V aux battery. When the car is switched off, the traction battery is disconnected....Disclaimer: I don't know how Tesla has done this, this is how the earlier EVs did it.

This makes sense but how does it get/retain a charge? The Roadster doesn't have an alternator to charge the battery.

My guess is that it is somehow charged by the Li-Ion pack, however, since the amount of energy needed to keep the battery charged would be pretty small it wouldn't be enough to noticeably affect the range of the car.

The Ford RangerEV also has a traditional 12V aux bat that powers standard accessories like the headlights and radio.
Until you "start" the vehicle, the traction pack is also disconnected. The 12V powers up the control computers that can check for a charge cable and do whatever diagnostics are needed to make sure it is safe to bring the higher voltage (300V+) online.
Most EVs have a DC to DC converter that converts the traction pack power down to ~13.5V to charge the aux battery as needed. Basically it replaces the function of a traditional alternator.

The aux battery can also buffer momentary loads somewhat. Basically the DC->DC converter doesn't need to deliver as much of peak/momentary current if you have a supplementary battery for times when the system is temporarily drawing a heavier load.

I had no idea the Roadster has a 12V battery. I can file this one under "I learn something everyday"...
Is it a deep cycle, lead acid battery?

No, it's a motorcycle battery. It's just there as a backup to keep the headlights, etc., running if the normal 12V auxiliary power goes offline for some reason.

Originally Tesla drew backup power directly from a couple of slices in the main battery pack, but that could apparently lead to problems sometimes, so they switched to a separate battery.

The main battery pack already contains a 12V battery for powering the lights etc. I assume there must be some way of charging the 12V battery from the lithium cells (as it would be rather annoying if the lights etc went out on a long journey).

The aux battery is about 1/4 of the size of a normal car battery and I was told its only there to power light / hazard warning etc in the event of an accident that causes the main battery pack to shut down.

Doug_G posted:
attachment.php?attachmentid=1031&d=1287603761.jpg

I am a little surprised that they put it way up front right on the bumper like that.
Usually you want to keep the heavy items nearer to the center of the car to keep the "polar moment of inertia" as low as possible.
I guess they didn't find any other space available elsewhere to fit the aux battery.
Also, right behind the bumper seems like it could get damaged easily in a front collision.