Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

which is faster 30-50/50-70 S85D or P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thegruf

Mar 24, 2015
indeterminate
You'd think P85D but

I recall reading when they designed the new 221hp motor they "learned a lot" from the 470hp motor.
I take that probably as mostly cooling.

So the differnce is small but the P85D takes it on the first run, but then overheats and the S85D takes it on repeated runs?

... and is the difference worth $20K?

There had been a post some time ago that I had seen where the 85 RWD vs P85 RWD on the freeway the difference was not THAT substantial. I've not seen similar tests performed since then, however, that would compare the models across the board. I'd speculate, however, that the 85D vs P85D difference lies mainly in the lower speed realm. As you approach those higher speeds it takes a lot more power to overcome the air resistance etc. I'm sure the P85D is still faster at freeway speeds (passing power), but worth $20k? ... that is a personal judgement call each individual would need to make. Attempts to quantify those figures still wouldn't provide the answer, as for some people the price of having the fastest option is never a question. :)

I think I've read online that the now defunct S60 had a 30-50 time of 2.0s. The 30-50 for the old P85 was 1.8s... I'm sure the #'s are similarly small between the P85D and S85D (haven't seen them anywhere to know for sure though). The P85D would not "overheat" after one run, that's laughable. Not even the old P85 did anything like that. There is a guy who recently had his P85D on a road course consuming 1000Wh/mi and showed no signs of dialing back power levels.

If I were ordering my first Tesla today I'd probably go for the P85D. :) However it's not worth 20k by any stretch of the imagnation... I mean for 20k you can buy a old BMW to beat on at the track and a decent used motorcycle too.

I just had a run recorded on a 90D and the 30-50 was 1.25 seconds.
It was a 0-60 run so the 30-50 snapshot isn't the same as if you stomped on the pedal at 30. Still it's plenty quick though.
BTW, the 0-60 for the 90D was 3.9 seconds, 0-30 was 1.8 seconds.

This was recorded using the PowerTools app that reads the data directly from the Tesla car itself so it is probably fairly accurate.
The logs claimed the car generated 490+hp from 30-55 mph. Dropped to 480 at 60mph. Road was at 101 ft elevation consistently (flat enough I think).

It was a 0-60 run so the 30-50 snapshot isn't the same as if you stomped on the pedal at 30. Still it's plenty quick though.

This was recorded using the PowerTools app that reads the data directly from the Tesla car itself so it is probably fairly accurate.
The logs claimed the car generated 490+hp from 30-55 mph. Dropped to 480 at 60mph. Road was at 101 ft elevation consistently (flat enough I think).

Nice stuff here!

I'm utterly pleased with my 85D performance wise having come from a 6.0L tuned engine. The acceleration is phenomenal and instantaneous. I would have loved to have the P, but I could not justify it in my head even though from an affordability perspective it wasn't much of an issue.

Now, when the P150QP comes out ... maybe then ...

ok... who can decipher what I think the P150QP stands for? :)

Just keep in mind that that maximum sample rate through the REST API is 4 hz (250 ms) so 0-60 times are going to vary a lot. They bracket using the first sample that is none 0 MPH so it could be off by as much as 250 ms from the beginning.

They don't do any interpolation on the end sample to estimate the time that it actually hit 60 MPH. I asked them and they said it was planned for the future. They don't estimate the actual start time by taking the current speed on the first none zero MPH sample relative to the previous 0 MPH sample. They could, but they don't.

Bottom line is, it's fun but not very accurate. Using a stop watch is probably more accurate than Powertools. Don't get me wrong. I bought the app and I use it but not for 0-60 times but to graph KW usage overlayed onto vbox performance charts.

Rimac Concept One has 4 motors. They say it can control each wheel at the rate of 1000 times per second.

Yes, but you left out the fun part -

"Each wheel can independently accelerate or decelerate hundreds of times per second, helping to achieve the desired (driver selectable) handling. "
http://www.rimac-automobili.com/concept_one/introduction-20

Yes, but you left out the fun part -

"Each wheel can independently accelerate or decelerate hundreds of times per second, helping to achieve the desired (driver selectable) handling. "
http://www.rimac-automobili.com/concept_one/introduction-20

Haha, sorry about that!

I'll add that the 1000 I mentioned is in one video, but the owner says 100 in another. There's some conflict between videos I've watched. Either way that's a lot per second.