Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla eliminating 21" Silver Turbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they had too many wheel failures with the 21" wheels.

I was talking to my Tesla salesperson the other day and he told me it makes it very stressful to do test drives on vehicles with 21" wheels around here because of all the potholes. They've had multiple instances of broken wheels just while offering test drives. Unless you live some place with perfect roads it was likely not a popular option.

Unless you live some place with perfect roads it was likely not a popular option.

actually it is a very popular option. but the problem is so many people ordering it not realizing all their problems and then cracking their wheels and blowing out their tires. service centers are constantly swamped with cars from blowouts.

yes it would be nice for tesla to semi-force 19" so that their service centers can free up time to spend servicing other cars.

actually it is a very popular option. but the problem is so many people ordering it not realizing all their problems and then cracking their wheels and blowing out their tires. service centers are constantly swamped with cars from blowouts.

yes it would be nice for tesla to semi-force 19" so that their service centers can free up time to spend servicing other cars.

I can definitely see that. I bet the majority of those who picked the 21" wheels had no idea what durability problems come with those tires. From the discussion I had with our Tesla sales person, they actually prefer to do test drives with 19" wheels after the wheel failures they've had. It's good for Tesla to have people who understand the pros and cons of 21" wheels get them so those who really want then can still get them and the rest are spared from wheel failures.

This just in: Spoke to dealer today. Said Tesla appears to be eliminating silver turbines as an option. Charcoal or nothing?

As Yobigd20 said they are still an option for the P85D. You can also still purchase the tire and wheel package from Tesla's shopping section which means if you want 21" silver on a non P85D it is going to cost you an extra $1,000 or you buy them used. I guess you could sell the standard 19" that came with the car and make up the cost difference. :wink:

If they were trying to phase out the 21s entirely they wouldn't still be offering the grey ones across the board.

My guess is it's just a glitch. There are a few - for example the UK design studio currently claims cars will come with XM Satellite Radio which is clearly nonsense.

How about Tesla offering a 20" turbine version? That would open up options with tires and still provide a good look over the 19" rims.

I'm actually considering going that route. Tire rack has lots of options at 20" for the P85D.

Fair warning, I've got factory 20"s on my BMW M5 and I destroyed a tire in a pothole here on Long Island in my first three months. The lack of tire sidewall is just death for these things.

I'm a victim of that situation-- had and loved the 21"s but one developed a crack somewhere/somehow @ only 4000 miles. Now with 20" aftermarket wheels + Michelin Super Sport. Still can't get over the aesthetics of the 21" wheels though, it's unparalleled IMO.

Wouldn't Tesla warranty a cracked wheel @ 4k mi? If there was no other damage to the wheel other than a random crack I would think they would.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. This is a new company with lots of moving parts. My interface with the dealer leads me to believe things change quickly and the dissemination of information is far from perfect.