Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Liftgate now part of Premium Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The updated configurator now shows the Power Liftgate as only being available as a part of the $5,000 Premium Package, even on the P85D.

Didn't the power liftgate used to be standard? Isn't a power liftgate a standard feature on just about any mid-priced cars these days, let alone one that starts at $76k?

Is this just an attempt by Tesla to force purchasers to pony up for what almost everyone agreed was the most overpriced and useless option in the Model S catalog?

I think the power liftgate was part of the tech package. It was not standard.

Thanks. I think you are right. I guess since pretty much everyone ordered the Tech Package, it seemed like it was standard. Unfortunately, it's not even close to a wash as the new reduced price for the Autopilot package only saves you $1,750 vs. the old Tech Package while the price for the Premium Package is now $5,000 and gets you damn little else, particularly if you are already getting the alcantara headliner on the P85D.

Last edited:
I agree, it is painful to add that option. But, fog lights are in there as well as alcantara headliner now.

Except there is hardly any "headliner" in a car with a pano roof as the roof is all glass. IMHO the Alcantara headliner is a waste of money and it is too bad they are forcing people to pay for that to get the power liftgate.

I'm not opposed to that option but I think they need to revise the pricing of it so it makes more sense. In contrast I think the rest of the Model S trim levels and option packages are absolutely reasonable. The 70D is a great value.

The updated configurator now shows the Power Liftgate as only being available as a part of the $5,000 Premium Package, even on the P85D.

Didn't the power liftgate used to be standard? Isn't a power liftgate a standard feature on just about any mid-priced cars these days, let alone one that starts at $76k?

Is this just an attempt by Tesla to force purchasers to pony up for what almost everyone agreed was the most overpriced and useless option in the Model S catalog?

I find the whole thing rather strange. I looked over the options to see what I would order today if I wanted something similar to what I have now, and with that package my price would go up. I like the liftgate, but I have to ask myself whether a power liftgate is worth as much as air suspension and a pano roof combined. I don't think so. I could get both of those and throw in the winter package for that price. I could live without a power liftgate, but it seems strange that my 2001 minivan had that and Homelink as standard equipment, and either I'd have to clip some remote controls to my crappy sun visors in a $100K car, or pay $5000 for a few buttons and a power liftgate. I currently have the power liftgate and the pano roof and I don't see where Tesla is getting its price from.

Frankly the idea of getting a luxury car that doesn't even have Homelink and won't give it to me for an extra $135 puts me off. The idea of getting the package puts me off even more. If I didn't already own the car and if I knew little about it, I could see this as a deal breaker. It's not so much the items themselves but the fact that things don't sit right for me to spend so much more to get the basics. They did the same sort of thing to me when I got my car by leaving off fog lamps, and then adding them at no extra cost a few days after I got my car. At least the lack of them doesn't affect my driving.

If I did get the car, I'd probably forego that package, add the winter and air, and get everything else I got the first time around. I'd save money and have a clip on my visor. And when people asked me why, after being surprised that such an expensive car lacks it, I'd tell them it was a $5000 option.

Strange thing is my car is in the queue for production and with all the changes i repriced it just to see.

if were to order today and it would be 230.00 cheaper, no make that 3200.00 cheaper as i didn't order the interior premium package as I thought that was overpriced for what you got. Now I would need to order it but with the price drop on the pano and the Alcantara included its a batter deal for me. but then for others not so much. it all depends on what options you wanted.

Strange thing is my car is in the queue for production and with all the changes i repriced it just to see.

if were to order today and it would be 230.00 cheaper, no make that 3200.00 cheaper as i didn't order the interior premium package as I thought that was overpriced for what you got. Now I would need to order it but with the price drop on the pano and the Alcantara included its a batter deal for me. but then for others not so much. it all depends on what options you wanted.

depends on how you look at it.....your current order has tech package( im assuming) which came with

• Power liftgate
  • Lighted door handles
  • LED fog and cornering lights
only thing is the Alcantara Headliner and Lighting Package .....so it could be $4770 more

I find the whole thing rather strange. I looked over the options to see what I would order today if I wanted something similar to what I have now, and with that package my price would go up. I like the liftgate, but I have to ask myself whether a power liftgate is worth as much as air suspension and a pano roof combined. I don't think so. I could get both of those and throw in the winter package for that price. I could live without a power liftgate, but it seems strange that my 2001 minivan had that and Homelink as standard equipment, and either I'd have to clip some remote controls to my crappy sun visors in a $100K car, or pay $5000 for a few buttons and a power liftgate. I currently have the power liftgate and the pano roof and I don't see where Tesla is getting its price from.

Frankly the idea of getting a luxury car that doesn't even have Homelink and won't give it to me for an extra $135 puts me off. The idea of getting the package puts me off even more. If I didn't already own the car and if I knew little about it, I could see this as a deal breaker. It's not so much the items themselves but the fact that things don't sit right for me to spend so much more to get the basics. They did the same sort of thing to me when I got my car by leaving off fog lamps, and then adding them at no extra cost a few days after I got my car. At least the lack of them doesn't affect my driving.

If I did get the car, I'd probably forego that package, add the winter and air, and get everything else I got the first time around. I'd save money and have a clip on my visor. And when people asked me why, after being surprised that such an expensive car lacks it, I'd tell them it was a $5000 option.

Under the new Design Studio, Homelink is standard.

But under the Model S specs, it has this, which makes it confusing as to whether or not it's standard:

Premium Package adds

• Fit and finish refinements, including the use of higher quality materials and LED lighting
  • Power liftgate
  • Lighted door handles
  • GPS enabled homelink

Yes it is confusing. I believe it is standard and the fact that it also shows under the optional Premium Package is a mistake. Tesla needs to fix it.
But under the Model S specs, it has this, which makes it confusing as to whether or not it's standard:

Premium Package adds

• Fit and finish refinements, including the use of higher quality materials and LED lighting
  • Power liftgate
  • Lighted door handles
  • GPS enabled homelink

Premium Package adds

• Power liftgate
  • Lighted door handles
  • GPS enabled homelink

When the new design studio went live in the morning yesterday it had listed the GPS enabled homelink under the premium package. I clearly remember seeing this but I do not have a screen capture. It appears that sometime throughout the day yesterday Tesla modified the design studio to list homelink as standard. The big question is was this simply a webpage error or did Tesla respond that quickly to the backlash brewing.