Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla continues to list price with gas savings/incentives and offer odd bundles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
With the new 70D and new option configurations and pricing, Tesla is back to showing prices "after incentives and gas savings". In other words, low prices that don't actually exist. Yes a cash price is also shown on the page if you look for it, but the headline price under each configuration is in bold black and under that in faint gray print is the disclaimer "after incentives and gas savings". I understand subtracting the federal tax credit, that's an actual dollar figure that buyers are rebated-- but I think it's misleading to include estimated gas savings in the headline price. This reeks of car dealerism, if such a word exists. Tesla, you're better than that.

100% agreed on this. I was originally turned off by this when they did it in the past, and happy that they stopped. Now, here we go again. Show the price, then say something like XX,XXX after incentives, not this crap.

I guess they're at least not showing cost including what your "time at the pump" is worth per hour :rolleyes:

100% agreed on this. I was originally turned off by this when they did it in the past, and happy that they stopped. Now, here we go again. Show the price, then say something like XX,XXX after incentives, not this crap.

I guess they're at least not showing cost including what your "time at the pump" is worth per hour :rolleyes:

I was definitely pissed when I saw the time at the pump to include that in the savings..:cursing:

I don't know why Tesla did that in the past...are they trying to attract new buyers by posting such statements....Tesla....please stop its not working....Like everyone says...you are better than that

Agreed. As I wrote earlier:

I agree with this. They did some of that sort of thing before when they attempted to also count the value of your time for refueling stops, etc... they got rid of it after they caught flack for it (here and elsewhere)

I think the data is useful, but they should include it in a "TCO" section along with the relative costs of charging vs. gasoline refueling, or similar, but not in the pricing data section.

so the price for base 70D is not 57,500
Approved Cedar Lake construction.JPG

I don't understand why they are doing this nonsense playing around with prices as the 70D is a very compelling offering at its actual price. We drive only about 5-6K a year so the gasoline savings is irrelevant to us. They should just list the actual price of the car. By dressing up the prices with arbitrary gasoline savings they are doing the 70D and themselves a disservice.

As for the Power Liftgate now being bundled with Alcanntara I think sooner or later they will either have to move the Liftgate out of the Premium Package or charge something more reasonable for the Premium Interior Package. IMHO $2,500 would be a fair price for the Premium Interior. Especially considering that cars with the pano roof hardly have much surface area being covered by Alcantara anyway as the roof is all glass!

Attaching the power liftgate, which is a very useful feature, to a useless $5000 interior lighting and minor trim update package is incredibly lame.

I will absolutely not pay $5000 for a power liftgate. There is no way to justify that to myself (or my wife, upgrading to a p85D is already pushing it a bit :smile: )

Now my planned upgrade to a P85D will be a $118k car with a liftgate that belongs on a $15k Kia.

Edit: I just saw it also include Homelink in the "premium" package, so I basically am being forced to have to add the $5000 options. I an not driving around in $118k car with a garage down opener clipped to the visor. They should at least reduce the price by $1500 of P85D buyers, since the Alcantara headliner is already included in their car.

Last edited:
Attaching the power liftgate, which is a very useful feature, to a useless $5000 interior lighting and minor trim update package is incredibly lame.

I will absolutely not pay $5000 for a power liftgate. There is no way to justify that to myself (or my wife, upgrading to a p85D is already pushing it a bit :smile: )

Now my planned upgrade to a P85D will be a $118k car with a liftgate that belongs on a $15k Kia.

I agree with you completely. If I were you, I'd wait a bit before finalizing your order. I think they will realize pretty soon it was a poor decision to move the power liftgate to a $5,000 package of random odds and ends of trim pieces that most consider to be overpriced. The Premium Interior IMHO has always been an overpriced option but now they've made it worse.

Tesla is very nimble with customer feedback. I remember when the P85D first came out with 21" wheels required there was a lot of flack from those of us living in states with badly maintained roads that make 21" wheels a horrible idea and they quickly changed the option packages to address that issue. I bet they will either make the power liftgate standard or offer the Premium Package at a more reasonable cost.

We are in the same situation as you with considering a P85D but like you, I don't see us wasting money for a $5,000 option package for the Alcantara to get the power liftgate. If that package was about $2,000, we'd go for it.

Totally agreed. By all means, talk about the savings you get with an EV. That's a big part of the appeal! But do so honestly, by showing the up-front price and then talking about the long-term TCO separately.

Saying $57,500 up front may get people in the door, but you'll also piss them off when they see that the amount of money they have to actually fork over is $76,200. If you have a good product, you can sell it with honesty.

It's especially ridiculous because "gas savings" makes tons of assumptions about long-term gas prices, driving habits, and alternative cars. If I'm driving 7,500 miles/year, assume gas prices hold steady at about $2.50/gallon, and my alternate choice is a Prius, that's way different from if I drive 30,000 miles a year, assume gas prices will hit $5/gallon soon, and my alternate choice is a V8 Camaro. Savings is essentially zero in the former case (about $1900 in gas over five years, which is similar to what electricity will cost for the Tesla), while in the latter case you save about $50,000.

Tesla, stop acting like the car dealers you and we despise

I generally agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread so far and have posted similar complaints in another thread.

I thought Tesla had moved past the nonsense about factoring "gas savings" into the most prominently displayed price on the Design Studio page. But now it's back. Very disappointing.

And moving some of the now defunct Tech Package options into the Premium package option, including really useful stuff like the power lift gate is a bad idea. Many people don't care about the alcantara headliner and partial dash cover and should not be required to pay thousands for that just to get a few things they really want like the power lift gate and fog lights. That makes no sense.

I applaud the move of manyTech Package items to standard equipment. But Tesla seems to be struggling to figure out what the Premium Package option should include. I think they need to give in and make more individual line item options like most other manufacturers do so people can customize their car the way they want. I understand hat Tesla wants to simplify not only the ordering experience but also their manufacturing processes, but they have gone too far.

We know Tesla reads TMC. They do listen. So listen up Tesla!

I agree the power liftgate at $5000 is totally ridiculous. It's a must for us when we drop the kids at school. At least it should be a separate option.
Wow, that's incredible. Despite originally thinking it was silly, I'd now never buy a Model S without a power liftgate. That is, until it became a $5k option (I don't really care about any of the other stuff in that package). I expect you're going to start seeing a lot of buyers take the Autopilot package and leave off the Premium package.

Weren't lighted door handles standard across the entire line? The Fog/Cornering lights were an option/in technology package. The interior accents were an overpriced $1k option.

Essentially what was the old technology package went from an already-ridiculous $5k to $7.5k and now includes the relatively unpopular alcantara headliner and interior lighting packages.

On the plus side, it's nice that everyone gets navigation and Supercharger access now.

I think they should just make the Premium Interior a $2,000 option and call it a day. Many will order it at that point without any resentment for having to pay for the overpriced Alcantara. The only two features in the Premium Interior package that have any real value to me is the power liftgate, ambient lighting, and lighted door handles. We've owned too many European cars with ambient lighting to consider it a basic necessity for a car in this price range as it adds a nice ambient to the interior at night. This will then also end what has been a perpetually overpriced option with little value.

I generally agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread so far and have posted similar complaints in another thread.

I thought Tesla had moved past the nonsense about factoring "gas savings" into the most prominently displayed price on the Design Studio page. But now it's back. Very disappointing.

And moving some of the now defunct Tech Package options into the Premium package option, including really useful stuff like the power lift gate is a bad idea. Many people don't care about the alcantara headliner and partial dash cover and should not be required to pay thousands for that just to get a few things they really want like the power lift gate and fog lights. That makes no sense.

I applaud the move of manyTech Package items to standard equipment. But Tesla seems to be struggling to figure out what the Premium Package option should include. I think they need to give in and make more individual line item options like most other manufacturers do so people can customize their car the way they want. I understand hat Tesla wants to simplify not only the ordering experience but also their manufacturing processes, but they have gone too far.

We know Tesla reads TMC. They do listen. So listen up Tesla!

Edit: I just saw it also include Homelink in the "premium" package, so I basically am being forced to have to add the $5000 options. I an not driving around in $118k car with a garage down opener clipped to the visor. They should at least reduce the price by $1500 of P85D buyers, since the Alcantara headliner is already included in their car.

It's a little ambiguous, as the premium package says 'GPS-enabled Homelink'. I agree that since there's no reference to Homelink in the standard features, it does appear that this was moved, as well. Totally ridiculous. This was included on my $23k Prius 8+ years ago. IMO, power liftgate and Homelink should either be standard or available at a reasonable cost. $5k is not reasonable, regardless of what else is in that package.