Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No More 2 Wheel Drive [except for 85 model]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2WD 85 is now the slowest Tesla. The HP numbers seem to be all over the place over the past few months.

The 85D is now listed at 422HP with 4.4 0-60-- did it get an upgrade or is it really faster than the original 85D?

P85D is now listed at 3.1 - did that come with the 6.2 software update?

Does the 70D have the 85kwh battery with a software limit? None of the models show "motor power" now except for the P85D. S85 has dropped from 380 to 362.

And now the base price shows "fuzzy math" including gas savings after 10 years. That's stretching it a bit.

I wish Tesla would try to be at least somewhat consistent with how they're advertising specs on their design studio. The new colors look sweet though!

And now the base price shows "fuzzy math" including gas savings after 10 years. That's stretching it a bit.

I don't like that either, but I think it's a nod to the fact you're buying into the Tesla Supercharger network up front.

No other car companies sell cars with pre-paid fuel option (for the life of the vehicle).

They just need to show / reflect the value received for that investment you're putting in at purchase time.

And if Tesla is going to do this, they should match the period to their warranty of the powertrain, so show a "gas saving of 8 years".

It's all just fun with numbers anyway. Everybody (should) know to configure a vehicle on "cash price" and constantly look at the bottom line, as options are played with, and only after everything is added up... that's what you pay and is the only thing that matters. Then determine your financing arrangements to pay for it, lease, whatever.

Tesla wants to terminate the idea of "opting out" of SC network.. they need to pay for it. That was a weakness of the model 60 offering, as it allowed deletion / addition of SC network during order time and after the fact. It put a price on it: $2500 (IIRC). What does gas cost for 8 years for a sedan of this class? More than that.

Last edited:
That has to be a mistake though. Why would you pay $5,000 more to get an extra 25 miles in range and slower 0-60 and no AWD. I can't imagine anyone choosing that.

I'd probably still go for it. I got a non-D 85 a month and a half ago. I don't really care about AWD and I really like the extra cargo space up front. I'm also guessing that the 0-60 time for the 85 is overstated now. The 85D got substantially "faster" today, with the 0-60 time dropping by the better part of a second, but I'd bet there are no hardware changes involved, just new measurements. As I recall, the cars have been getting lighter over time as Tesla improves the design, but the official times have remained unchanged.

Only all wheel drive (70D, 85D and P85D) from now on....

it looks like with the introduction of the S70D there are no longer any new rear wheel drive Model S for sale by Tesla.
That would point to an all all wheel drive company from here on down.

So in a way all we RWD owners already have a classic. If you want one the used car market is your only option.

Interesting move. I would have thought that a cheaper RWD version would help Tesla with the financially "challenged" crowd.

Its amazing that Tesla is able to keep these things under wraps until the release day.... Apple can learn from that.

I don't like that either, but I think it's a nod to the fact you're buying into the Tesla Supercharger network up front.

No other car companies sell cars with pre-paid fuel option (for the life of the vehicle).

They just need to show / reflect the value received for that investment you're putting in at purchase time.

And if Tesla is going to do this, they should match the period to their warranty of the powertrain, so show a "gas saving of 8 years".

It's all just fun with numbers anyway. Everybody (should) know to configure a vehicle on "cash price" and constantly look at the bottom line, as options are played with, and only after everything is added up... that's what you pay and is the only thing that matters. Then determine your financing arrangements to pay for it, lease, whatever.

Tesla wants to terminate the idea of "opting out" of SC network.. they need to pay for it. That was a weakness of the model 60 offering, as it allowed deletion / addition of SC network during order time and after the fact. It put a price on it: $2500 (IIRC). What does gas cost for 8 years for a sedan of this class? More than that.
No, it's not "fun with numbers". It's deceptive advertising. It's misleading.
And even ignoring this. Most people do NOT get free fuel for life. A tiny fraction of all charging happens at superchargers. Most charging happens over night at home and that's not free. It's cheaper than the fuel bill for a Maserati Quadroporte, but it's not free.