Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla cuts 60kW Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

As some of you might have noticed, Teslas pages are down for updates. Here's what Jalopnik has gathered so far:
Tesla has been tweaking its Model S lineup continuously, nixing the lowest-spec model before it even went on sale, adding features, eliminating options, and eventually adding all-wheel-drive. Now there’s this: the new 70D, a replacement for the entry-level Model S that gets more range and adds a second motor.

As you’d expect by the name, the 70D comes with both a new 70 kWh battery pack good for an EPA-rated 240 miles, as well as AWD as standard. With it, Tesla is killing off the 60 kWh Model S – the $70,000 version rated at 208 miles – and selling this new “entry-level” electric sedan for $75k.

For the extra five grand, the 70D gets 514 combined horsepower and a top speed of 140 MPH, but it’s also broken up a few of its options packages to add more standard equipment. Part of that is the dual-motor setup – netting a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds – but it’s also enabling the Supercharger system (normally a $2,000 option), keyless entry, and pulling navigation from the tech package to make it a standard feature, which it should’ve done two years ago.

The Autopilot hardware – which still doesn’t have the software to support it – is installed right out of the factory, and enabling it will cost $2,000 at the time of purchase. The tech package is gone, and the two remaining big-ticket options are updated LED headlights and a power lift gate. Oh, and there are three new colors: warm silver (champagne), obsidian black (really black), and ocean blue (lighter with more metallic). Brown is still gone. Dammit.

The reason for the upgrade and pricing switch is partially due to the fact that the range-topping 85 kWh Model S has always accounted for the lion’s share of sales – and not just because it’s got the most range.

If you’ve got the cash to drop $70k on an EV and want some options, the price heads north quickly, at which point most owners just upgrade to the bigger battery pack. Tesla says it wants to offer something with more features and a better price, and we’ll see if potential owners take the bait when the car goes on sale today. Deliveries are expected in around one or two months.
The $75k Model S 70D Is The New Entry-Level Tesla

Seems like the spottings of the next-gen LED lights were correct! We're getting new lights, some new colors and tech package is now standard - just have to pay to unlock it's potential. Gives second-hand sales a huge advantage :)

NEW MODEL S 70D Announced

Tesla Motors announced the replacement for the S 60, called the S 70D which add features to the base model.
The S 70D has a 70 kWh battery pack and dual motors with 329 horsepower.
The S 85D appears to have had its horsepower rating upped to 422 while the S 85 single motor rear wheel drive is still available with 362 horsepower.
Pricing on the P 70D is expected to start at $57,500 and it goes from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds and a range of 240 miles.... it will not have INSANE mode
which is the P85D ultra-fast acceleration mode.

The S 70D is scheduled to begin shipping in May 2015.
Tesla will discontinue the S 60 with the 60 kWh battery pack and a range of 208 miles.

The following are now standard features of all S models (note that the Tech Package no longer exists)....

- Free long distance travel on the Tesla SuperCharger Network
- Automatic Keyless Entry
- Parking Sensors
- Power-folding and heated Side Mirrors
- Maps and Navigation with real time traffic updates
- LED daytime running lights
- Blind Spot Warning system
- Automatic emergency braking
- 8 year, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty on all Model S
- GPS enabled Homelink
- Lane Departure Warning system

Autopilot features are now an optional package called the Autopilot Convenience Package.

Three new colors added to all Model S .... Ocean Blue, Obsidian Black and Warm Silver.

Subzero Weather Package is $1000
Premium Interior Package is $5000 (this package is necessary if you want the Power Liftgate, Lighted Door Handles and the LED Cornering Lights)
Autopilot Convenience Features are $2500

This info from Seeking Alpha and CNBC as well as the TM Design Studio.

Last edited:
This was pretty surprising (and good) news to me.
another article here: New Tesla Model S 70D is as powerful as a 911 Turbo

Most believable coverage I have seen so far is BREAKING: New $75,000 Tesla Model S 70D: AWD, 240 Miles Of Range since it doesn't make weird and implausible claims like 514hp (which is obviously untrue if the 0-60 time is still 5.2s; I assume the S70D has the same drivetrain as the 85D) and TACC being included in the base model.

Interesting that the entire fleet is now supercharger enabled from the factory though.

Well this is exciting! I can't wait till I try repricing how I want a 85. Given the change in options, I may just go ahead and pull the trigger on the order now. Something nagged at me not to do it last month and I'll be glad I waited!

Hmmm, assuming this is true, I wonder how many 60s have been ordered this year so far?
If the number is small enough, I understand this.

I am a little disappointed at the increase of price in their base model.

Tesla is just adjusting pricing to prep people for the Model X and as a side benefit, headroom for the Model 3 when the time comes. This is also proving that the D variants are hugely popular....

Tesla Motors Announces 70D Model S, Says Goodbye to 60 (TSLA)

"unlimited-mile 8-year warranty on the battery and drive unit that used to be reserved for only 85 kWh versions of Model S is now included…"

This gives better clarity on tech pack changes. Auto-presenting handles are now standard, along with satnav (which has been included for a while) and also "autopilot hardware" but not the convenience features.

Still more data that refers to this strange 514hp figure though!!

I am guessing this is as much about the Model X as anything else, so I think its safe to assume the X70D will be the base model. I wonder if we will see an S90 before the year is out?
S90, S95, or S100 - I think we'll see that when the Model X is announced and it will give an EPA rated 300+ miles in both the X and S. Probably be able to get to 300+ EPA with an S95D. Will X95D also hit 300+? Maybe, depending on weight, aerodynamics, software, etc.

I also think all models will upgrade again with the next gen batteries in 2017. Might just be lighter and cheaper that gets more range and faster time splits, but could also be more kWh.

Fun car to drive and stock to own!!!

I think this is a great variant of the Model S.
You get a 70Kw battery with 380Km range, Supercharging included and dual drive for only a little bit more than the old price. I think Tesla has a real winner here.

Looks like they adjusted pricing to appear lower but once you add in the options it climbs up really fast....