Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tire wear data for Michelin 19's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My early 2013 car has about 45,000 miles but I do use winter tires for about 4 months of the year. My Goodyears have plenty of tread left, but they have become intolerably loud. It started last fall, and over the winter I took them in to my tire guy to check and re-balance them. I put them back on last weekend and I'm fed up with the noise. It sounds like I'm driving on big knobby off-road tires and even the audio at 8 or 9 won't drown it out. I have no ideas why this has happened and am thinking of going with the Primacy tires as replacements. Would be interested to hear if others have experienced tire noise like this.

My early 2013 car has about 45,000 miles but I do use winter tires for about 4 months of the year. My Goodyears have plenty of tread left, but they have become intolerably loud. It started last fall, and over the winter I took them in to my tire guy to check and re-balance them. I put them back on last weekend and I'm fed up with the noise. It sounds like I'm driving on big knobby off-road tires and even the audio at 8 or 9 won't drown it out. I have no ideas why this has happened and am thinking of going with the Primacy tires as replacements. Would be interested to hear if others have experienced tire noise like this.

I think it's typical, and consistent with my experience with continentals and goodyear eagle F1 on a BMW. Michelins seem to do much better staying quiet and smooth. I have 23k on Michelin 19s and they look good for at least 10k more, and are not noisy at all. I'm kind of conservative about acceleration even though I enjoy it occasionally.

My car came with Goodyear Eagles and I had decent tread ware out of them. I ended up having a rear tire blowout so I replaced the 2 rears with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. They are almost bald after only 6 months and 8,000 miles. I'm not a heavy foot. The Michelins are much noisier than the Goodyears and don't handle as well. I took the car back to Discount Tire last week and showed him the tires. He is taking them back under warranty for poor wear and I'm getting a full retail refund/credit for them. He is putting a full set of Goodyear Eagles on my car for $350 out the door. Looking forward to it. The Eagles are quieter, last longer, and handle better, as I see it!

I have OEM Primacys on mine right now and have driven almost 38,000 miles. They are still riding very well and quite quiet but I am down to 4 and 5/32 so I am looking around. I will probably put the Primacys back on her since I have been happy with them.

Sounds like they're cupped??

My tire guy suggested that when I brought them in to him a few months ago. He also mentioned "scalloping" of the tread, but when he examined them, he said he didn't think that was it. I had him go ahead an re-balance all 4 in case that was it. In further discussion, he thought 45 PSI was way too high, but when I pointed out that was the manufacturer's recommendation, he said it's best to go with what the car maker says.

- - - Updated - - -

The Eagles are quieter, last longer, and handle better, as I see it!

I have always enjoyed good service from my Goodyear tires over the years. The exception is these incredibly noisy RS-A2s.

- - - Updated - - -

I have OEM Primacys on mine right now and have driven almost 38,000 miles. They are still riding very well and quite quiet but I am down to 4 and 5/32 so I am looking around. I will probably put the Primacys back on her since I have been happy with them.

I'm leaning towards that as a replacement because I fear the Goodyears might just get noisy again after a year or less of on road use. The Primacys are a lot more expensive than the Goodyears however.

In further discussion, he thought 45 PSI was way too high, but when I pointed out that was the manufacturer's recommendation, he said it's best to go with what the car maker says.
I too have found tire folks who think all passenger car tires should be 30 psi because 30/32 was a common pressure recommendation--in 1970.

I ended up having a rear tire blowout so I replaced the 2 rears with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. They are almost bald after only 6 months and 8,000 miles.

The A/S 3 must be junk. After 4000mi, my inner rears were 1/32. I took the car back to Big O hoping they'd get Michelin to cover them but they insisted Michelin would reject the warranty claim due to "mechanical wear", or in other words, something wrong with the car. Seems to me it's the tire.

Mainly SoCal. Around 34,000 miles. 307 Wh per mile and just replaced one. (Road debris). 6/32 on two fronts, 8/32 on one rear and brand new on the recently replaced (2/15/15).

Just had them checked. 5/32 on one, and 6/32 on the other. Both rear just replaced (one rear was at 3/32 NOT 8/32) So now 10/32s, but they're new around 34,000 miles.

mknox... After about 1 year and 25k miles, my OEM Goodyear RSA started making a thumping noise that was especially loud at around 21mph. They are so noisy. Now at nearly 44k miles, I'm looking forward to replacing them. Maybe with Primacy MXM4.

mknox... After about 1 year and 25k miles, my OEM Goodyear RSA started making a thumping noise that was especially loud at around 21mph. They are so noisy. Now at nearly 44k miles, I'm looking forward to replacing them. Maybe with Primacy MXM4.

Hmmm... so I'm not alone. I'm leaning towards the Primacy MXM4 myself, mainly because they are the "other" OEM tire that Tesla uses.