Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario electric vehicle charging incentive program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading the form for the charger incentive and it states that to be eligible chargers "Are purchased in Canada from a Canadian source (e.g., dealer, website, retailer) "

The HPWC is listed but I'm not sure if I order it through the Tesla web site it will be covered under the program because that would be from a U.S. source. Has anyone purchased through the online store and gotten their rebate?

Ontario electric vehicle chargining incentive program

I was reading the form for the charger incentive and it states that to be eligible chargers "Are purchased in Canada from a Canadian source (e.g., dealer, website, retailer) "

The HPWC is listed but I'm not sure if I order it through the Tesla web site it will be covered under the program because that would be from a U.S. source. Has anyone purchased through the online store and gotten their rebate?

Buy from your nearest service centre.

I'm about to try, since you have to first get the car rebate before you can even apply for the charger rebate. The problem with not getting it with the car is that the warranty is much less when purchased separately...

I'm about to try, since you have to first get the car rebate before you can even apply for the charger rebate. The problem with not getting it with the car is that the warranty is much less when purchased separately...
They only give the charger rebate to people who got the car rebate, but you don't have to wait to apply. I sent mine in on the same day and got the rebates on the same day, about 6 weeks later.

Is it better to get the HPWC + rebate, or simply have an electrician install a NEMA 14-50?
I assume that the installation of NEMA 14-50 would not qualify for the rebate in Ontario?
First post - welcome to the forum, Sean!

You're right that you can't get the rebate for a 14-50.

Here's a rough cost calculation - just estimates, not including tax:

14-50:
  • Wiring parts (breaker, cable, disconnect, outlet): $50 - $150 depending on how long the cable run is
  • Installation: $150 by an electrician, or $0 if you do it yourself
  • Inspection: $85
  • Total: $135 - $385
HPWC:
  • Wiring parts: $50 - $500 (high end for 100A breaker and cable)
  • HPWC: $910 (US$750)
  • Installation: $200 by an electrician, or $0 if you do it yourself
  • Inspection: $85
  • Total before rebate: $1045 - $1695
  • After 50% rebate: $523 - $848
(In either case, if you need to upgrade your main breaker panel or service, that could add a lot to the cost, but that's the same for either choice.)

So a 14-50 is cheaper than the HPWC option and most people would say a 50A circuit (charging at 40A) is fast enough for home charging, BUT I would still recommend the HPWC. It has only one plug-in connector (cable to car) rather than 3 for the UMC (cable to car, cable to adaptor, adaptor to wall) and it's the plug-in connections that tend to wear, get hot or fail. The HPWC has a heavier cable than the UMC as well, so the HPWC is a more "rugged" solution. Also, if you want to have your UMC always in the car in case you need it, you'd have to either unplug it and stick it in the trunk every day, or after you get tired of that, buy a second one for another $790, which wipes out the cost advantage of the UMC.

If you decide to go with the HPWC for these reasons but still want to keep the cost down, consider an HPWC on a 50A or 80A breaker rather than 100A. That will reduce the cable and installation costs.

Fantastic and very helpful answer Peter!

* Thank you *

I have not yet purchased a Tesla, but am starting to look into understanding the various details of what it would entail to get setup for charging. This was certainly one of the areas I was curious about. A bit more money for an HPWC, but as you point out there are definitely a number of reasonable advantages to make it worth considering over the basic 14-50.

Cheers!

Sean.

When I compared the 14-50 option to the HPWC with rebate it worked out to virtually the same price. I opted for the charger route just so I have something nice on the wall and don't need to keep pulling the charge cable out of the back.

On a side note the link to the rebate form seems to be broken on the Ontario Gov site. Hopefully they get this fixed soon so I can get my rebate filed. If anyone has this downloaded can you PM me so I can get a copy of the PDF.

The HPWC is also a good piece of insurance, for the times when you have to charge the car in a certain period and can't wait twice as long, which is what the 14-50 takes (if the HPWC is at max.). When we bought the HPWC, it was much more expensive than now, and a good deal even so, for all the reasons stated in this thread. Moreover, a difference in cost of a few hundred dollars, if affordable now, isn't going to mean anything over the life of the car.

One other related, but not quite related question... ;)

What if you wanted to install a charger that would work for other PHEV's or EV's such as a Volt or a Ford Energi product?

Is there a charger on the Ontario Rebate list that would be good for a Tesla (overnight type charging) as well as one of the others?
Based on my understanding, I'd likely be looking at an EVSE / J1772 type charging station?

Would something like this be a decent choice?
Electric Vehicle (EV) Products and Services | Sun Country Highway

I've been running the numbers, and while I'd really like to jump on a Model S, my finances aren't there yet. But now I have this EV itch that feels the need to be scratched. :( I also figure given my driving usage, even with a short range PHEV, I'd be able to cover off the majority of my driving using electricity.

So I am considering the idea of getting a PHEV (like a CMAX Energi / Volt) to get through another 5 years or so, by which time the Model 3 should be up and running and/or used Model X will be readily available. I figure I can get the charger installed / rebated at some point in between now and then to space out the costs as my budget allows.

Sean.