Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate reduces Homelink Garage Door opener range from 100 feet to 5 feet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh. Now I'm scratching my head. I have figured out the furthest I could be to have the signal work and measured via google maps, it's right at 100 feet. Immediately when I affixed the front plate, like I said now I have to be almost nosecone to door before it works. Is the Homelink antenna right behind the nosecone?

Here's another datapoint. I have a classic Model S. I put the front plate on 2.5 years ago, and never had a problem at my old house. I would typically hit the button about 30 feet from the house as I went up and down our long angled driveway.

We moved about a year ago, and this house has a short straight driveway. The homelink usually works, but sometimes even when I'm right in front of the door, it is balky. We keep a separate garage door opener in the car for when that happens.

The funny thing is that my wife says it works better from father away. Sure enough, when it doesn't work up close, it works better from 50' away. However, at that point the car is 90 degrees from the house, rather than facing straight at it.

So I wonder if it has something to do with the angle the car is at...maybe the transmitter is right behind the plate (that is very near where we held the garage door opener to train it) and the plate blocks signals going straight forward, but they still come out the side.

On my Classic, the range isn't very far, but it didn't change when I put on the plates. I believe the range doesn't appear to be very far because I don't have a straight shot into the driveway, so the car is at right angles to the door when I press the button.

About 20 feet on my P85D. That compares to about 400 feet on my Infiniti home link where I can open the door as soon as I turn the corner and see my garage door all the way down the end of the street. In my P85D, I have to actually drive up on to the driveway to the front of the garage door. It's the shortest range I've ever had on homelink.

Tesla has so many things well thought out they must have selected an appropriate location.

Umm.. It's true that Tesla has made many good design decisions, but they've also made many poor ones. For example, the lack of ventilation to the third row, or the points on the B pillars that get worn out easily. It's not hard to imagine they could screw up something like this.

I don't use a front plate and refuse to. Sorry, but screw 'em. I don't like the look. I'll pay the $20. But my range, without the front plate, is perhaps 30-50 ft. Though I do have an old Genie door opener. Works just fine, but it is probably an antique by now. The one thing I note is that the pop up to open is exceptionally consistent. It always comes up at the exact same point. I may have had a couple times when the door didn't open on first press. But I do not believe it is related to SW version.

The funny thing is that my wife says it works better from father away. Sure enough, when it doesn't work up close, it works better from 50' away. However, at that point the car is 90 degrees from the house, rather than facing straight at it.

Perhaps it is a directional antenna? Has the placement of the antenna been changed over the model iterations? If so, is a TSB available for the classics, anyone know?

I noticed that my range can be anywhere from 3 feet, to 150 feet, and it differs throughout the month. Consecutive days generally have the same range, then it slowly drifts one way or the other and stays there, then drifts back.

I think environmental factors like temperature & humidity is a larger factor than the placement of the transmitter.

I recently picked up an antenna extension kit - I will post back with the results. (Though I really need about a month to tell whether it's really working).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K2YH4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back when Reagan was Prez, whenever he came into town (Santa Barbara), my door would not work at all. I figured it was all the electronic surveillance going on. It was really annoying. So I think that EMT could be a factor for deonb. Other radio waves, etc, can make a huge difference by creating too much noise for the very weak signal needed to open a garage door.

Just thinkin'

Back when Reagan was Prez, whenever he came into town (Santa Barbara), my door would not work at all. I figured it was all the electronic surveillance going on. It was really annoying. So I think that EMT could be a factor for deonb. Other radio waves, etc, can make a huge difference by creating too much noise for the very weak signal needed to open a garage door.

Just thinkin'
Reagan doesn't live anywhere near me.

• Funny
Reactions: lemketron