Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roader 1.5 #124 MOTOR FAILURE at 20K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry - yes it's #124 and it is a motor not an engine - no IC retrofit. Happened all of a sudden - 2 quick jerking movements like I was 'rear ended' ... then it was fine. Drove it 160 miles north with no problem. Thought it might be a loose cable, but they really don't know what it is - just that it's an internal motor fault.

Sorry - yes it's #124 and it is a motor not an engine - no IC retrofit. Happened all of a sudden - 2 quick jerking movements like I was 'rear ended' ... then it was fine. Drove it 160 miles north with no problem. Thought it might be a loose cable, but they really don't know what it is - just that it's an internal motor fault.

Can you turn on the car put the car into any other gear other than park (or tow mode), and push the car by hand?

So after the hiccup you still able to drive 160 miles without issue? If that happened to me I would think the mechanical part of the motor is fine, and that a temperature/encoder sensor issue or loose/shorted wire be the issue. Maybe you can ask to just replace the encoder on the motor and maybe also the wire-harness from the motor to the PEM.

Update: spoke to shop foreman. Definitely internal motor issue - only happens at hard acceleration for now. Asked if it was something I did wrong ... he said probably not, just 'happens' sometimes.

Don't have much choice but to fix it for 9K. Wondering if any roadster owners would be interested in buying old motor core. Shipping could be prohibitive.

Update 2: Decided to repair Roadster at Tesla Burlingame. Shop foreman has seen this roadster motor problem about 6 times in last 6 years. Don't know if it's more common in 1.5 v. 2.0. New, uninstalled motor itself is $7525. I'm working on saving the core in case this happens to another roadster owner ... but it's about the size of a 5 gallon bucket and heavy.

They said they wouldn't take it apart so hard to say. 1 year warranty on the motor, so I'll plan to sell it before the end. Yeah, I was tempted to look into shipping it to a knowledgable repairman ... But need it back for now, and covered shipping is pretty expensive even though the final total would have been much less.

Must say I'm bummed. Car has been awesome up to now. I've bragged about it's virtual zero maintenance. Still wonder if it could have been user fault, power surge charging, etc etc

- - - Updated - - -

The foreman thinks it's a short in the copper coil

Do you have any pictures of the damage? Is the static or the rotating part damaged?
Everything else should be replaceable.

New motor is in. I'm looking to sell the old one for $3750 -(1/2 the cost of new once at 7.5k) - or 3k if someone is interested in repairing themselves. Unfortunately it's a mystery box; sounds like it needs coils rewound since it was still working and would only quit at high 'rev', but could be something else.