Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Withdrawal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just over a week ago, I backed my Roadster into a pickup truck. I was backing out, somebody else was turning in at the same time, and. . . crunch. I'm sure it was mostly, if not entirely, my fault, since I got careless and didn't follow the directive that was drilled into me years ago in drivers ed: to always always ALWAYS look behind me the entire time I was backing up.

So... Not a big accident. It looked like the truck got the worst of it. I guess when carbon fiber meets steel, the weaker material gives way. However, my trunk lid got messed up. It was knocked slightly askew, carbon fiber fractured in one corner, driver's side trunk latch almost torn loose. The driver's side wouldn't release, so I couldn't get the trunk open. The passenger side wouldn't latch anymore, so the car beeped TRUNK AJAR whenever driven.

It's in the shop now. I'm hoping this won't take too long to repair, because I am really missing that car already. Before the crunch I was flying high. I was giddy. And I'd had it less than two months. Now I feel like I've been shot down to earth.

I had planned to take it to a car show this past Saturday. I had already sent in the registration form.

When I was driving around in the Roadster, and I spotted other expensive, or exotic, or even just fast-ish cars, I felt... not smug, exactly, but... contented. "Oh yeah, that's a cool one. Not that I'd trade for it, of course." No, not even for the Ferrari 458 Italia. Now I'm driving around in my Jeep, and I just sigh.

Speaking of the Jeep... It has a diesel engine. It puts out a lot of torque, and the acceleration is not bad for, you know, a behemoth. What drives me up the wall is the throttle response. When I put my foot in it, the Jeep sort of twiddles its metaphorical thumbs and thinks it over for a second or two. "Hmm, which of these eight gears do I want to use now?" Then I start wondering if I pushed down enough, so I put my foot in it a little further. Then the Jeep makes up its mind, and it surges forward. Too much! Then I lift of the gas... It's a guessing game. It's polar opposite of the Roadster, where the response is instantaneous and perfectly proportional to my inputs.

Oh, I've still got the Miata, though it's about ready to sell now. Driving it now... It sure does feel like it has a squirrel-and-treadmill under the hood. I find myself revving hell out of it, merely going to town and back, as I'm trying to wring out a bit of acceleration. And all that gear-shifting... Yeah, it has a good shifter, but still it just seems pointless after driving the Roadster for almost two months.

So sorry to hear about the mishap. Hope the repair is good and fast (unfortunately, probably won't be the last of the triangle: cheap).

OTOH, I really enjoyed your descriptions of driving the other vehicles. Highly enjoyable. And I totally get the "contentment" feeling, even though I only have the younger bigger brother and have never actually even sat in a Roadster (probably wouldn't fit anyway, at least with the roof on). But these vehicles do give pure satisfaction, IMHO partly the car itself and how it performs, and partly the significantly different way of life driving an EV.

Been there, done that back in 2011...ran over a piece of metal on the highway and cut the CF below the driver's side door...I completely understand the withdrawal feeling :crying:

I was lucky insofar as my car was still completely drivable with the damage...I was able to schedule the repairs / replacement of the CF part just prior to going on a couple of weeks vacation ( I wouldn't have had access to the Roadster anyway) so the time passed "reasonably" quickly.

The only advice I can offer is to keep focused on the light at the end of the tunnel...you'll be back in the EV saddle soon...keep away from ledges & sharp objects too! :wink::smile:

Sorry to hear about the Roadster mishap. Yeah, driving an EV for a while you find that the instant torque is something lacking in all ICE cars, particularly ones with slow slushboxes and/or engines needing turbos to spool up.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I backed into a friend's brand new Honda Accord last year. D'oh! I easily buffed out the scratches on Roadster. Honda needed $1200 rear bumper! I feel for you Tony.

Yeah, my neighbors who have driven my car accuse me of breaking their accelerator pedals.

Let's hope you have better luck with quick carbon fiber repairs than I have. I've had two problems (hitting a raccoon and someone backing into my car when it was parked) and both times it took forever to fix (I think the trunk took something like three months, and that was after they ordered the parts they knew it needed and waited for them to come in; of course they needed more).

My Roadster is also in the shop for a similar repair and I am also driving my Jeep around. Someone backed into me in a parking lot. I wasn't in the car and low and behold they left a note and took responsibility. And to top it off it was a 17-year old kid. Restored my faith in humanity. Though he did leave his Dad's phone number on the note :) Scratched the bumper and left tail light and cracked the trunk lid. $10,661 all in. It took the shop about 3 weeks to get the parts (bumper cover and new trunk lid).

Which Jeep do you have? I had an '05 KJ (Liberty) w/ the POS Italian VM Motori diesel. Went through 3 heads in 108k miles. I'm now driving an '07 WK (Grand Cherokee) w/ the Mercedes diesel. It hauls my motorcycle trailer really well and gets decent mileage while doing it. Also great for hauling the family up to the slopes (if only we'd get some snow). Though as I re-read your post you mentioned 8 gears so it must be one of the new GC's w/ the Fiat diesel.

Hopefully I'll have my car back next week!

No winter hibernation for my car :)

IMG_8114.JPG

Last edited:
I usually keep it in a garage, but this was what meet me at the airport parking lot after a quick weekend trip. Only the passanger door would open, but I managed to get both my girlfriend and our luggage into the passanger seat, hehe.

At last! Finally I got my car back from the body shop! I've missed it so much.

They did a great job of cleaning it up and getting it ready for me -- except they didn't fully charge it! When I pulled out to begin my trip home, I glanced at the display and saw 67 estimated miles -- and I had 130 miles of driving ahead of me.

I stopped at Bee Cave (the West Pole of Earth!), where there is a ChargePoint station right at the main entrance to the Whole Foods store. I finally got to use The Can JR and my ChargePoint card, neither of which had I tested before. It worked, though at only 30 amps it wasn't super fast. As it charged, the sky darkened and lightning flickered on the horizon, and I wondered if I would get home without picking up hail damage. I stopped when I thought I had plenty of range, and I switched it into Range Mode just for good measure. However. . . On the way home, I guess I drove faster than I should, and all that excess range evaporated. I limped into my garage with "0 miles" on the display, then plugged it in for "Recovery Charging". I feel guilty, abusing the poor thing immediately upon getting it back. I hope I won't be doing that again.

Incidentally, I saw other electric cars on the road today for the first time ever. On the way to Austin I met a white Model S going the other direction. Also, when my Roadster was almost done charging, a metallic gray Model S pulled up next to it, and the driver examined it for a moment, and then moved on. I belatedly realized he must have been looking for a charge too, but there was only one charger at that spot. (There were supposed to be two others nearby, but I never could pin down their location. I hope he had better luck.)