Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All.

1st - I just did my test drive today, it was wonderful. Currently I drive a Benz W212 (E250) purchase in December 2009. The price of a Tesla is same as purchasing a new 2015 E250. Tesla is a fairly new brand where Benz is a classic and is consider a luxury especially for mid age guy like me who drive Benz only for the last four cars I owned. Other then battery power, advanced in technology. Whats the purchasing point over the traditional luxury Benz?

2nd - I am from Canada, and I trade in my new car every 5 years for a new one. Sometimes I don't catch up with the newest model too. Ever since I came back to Hong Kong in 2009, I have my E250 until now. The law and regulation in Hong Kong require us to do vehicle examination when the car reach age 7. At the moment my car is 6 years and 5 months. Is it true I need to sell it soon? What will happen to the price after age 7 and will it become a hassle for vehicle examination?

Thanks all, appreciate your input.

Glad you liked your test drive, and welcome to the forum! For your first question, there are many reasons to get a Tesla Model S and some of the most important are:

-Fast acceleration, especially with the all-wheel drive version.
-Greatly simplified maintenance since the car doesn't have an engine, fuel lines or the need for oil changes.
-Silent drive.
-More storage space in the front, which is taken up by the engine in other cars.
-Since the Tesla Model S runs on electricity, it doesn't emit anything and doesn't have a tail pipe.
-Free wireless updates, including for new features. You don't need to go to a Tesla Service Center for these.
-Free access to the Tesla Supercharger network (no payment needed any time you charge using the network).

As for your second question, I'd be surprised if they make you sell your car after 7 years. It's probably just to make sure the car is running properly, but others here might know more and you can probably find more information on a government site. For prices after 7 years, may be you can check a car shopping site for that (compare before 7 years and after 7 years for the same model/brand).

For your second question, the 7 year (and onwards) test is a road worthiness test. It is fairly straightforward, but needs to be booked well in advance. The government centres nowadays are typically booked solid for at least a month. (this goes back to some anti-corruption measures put in place last year).

Most owners (without experience) just arrange the yearly test with their usual garage and co-ordinate it with their yearly service. Mercedes will certainly do this for you. The garage will book the appointment for you, do a pre-examination, take it to the government centre for the test, bring it back, and handle the paperwork. If this is done as part of the yearly service, it is usually not too expensive. You can also do it yourself, but needs some more experience.

Whats the purchasing point over the traditional luxury Benz?

It's like convincing someone to workout or jog/run. You can think of millions of reasons not to (buy an EV not necessarily Tesla), if you want to one reason is enough. For EV it's the future and no emission. Whether EV is environmentally friendly enough it's still a debate, e.g. I still have to turn the light on while writing this.

For me I have owned 2xHonda, 2xMazda, 3xSaab, 2xBMW, Subaru, Peugeot, Toyota ... I have a million reasons to own an Audi, VW or Benz but it's just another ICE burning gasoline like all others, what's the point really?

Since the price should be very close between the 2016 Benz E250 (W213) and Tesla 85, while the Tesla offers a lot more in terms of gadgets ,horse power and almost zero running cost...etc.

It is like buying a Rimowa vs a Samsonite or Delsey. I will always go for a Rimowa. Let say the P85 is same price as a Maserati, without question I will buy a Maserati. Even though I think Maserati looks ugly.. lol

By the way, shouldn't Model S be getting a facelift soon? Its been the same look since 2010...

By the way, shouldn't Model S be getting a facelift soon? Its been the same look since 2010...

Model S deliveries began June 2012 in the US there are still many countries out there that Tesla hasn't covered. Don't forget Tesla isn't just selling the car you are buying the infrastructure (free supercharging) and future OTA upgrading of software.

Isn't it good to have an "evergreen" look? What % of your hard earned cash will go to the government as tax if you go for Maserati?

Personally, I think a Model S is more prestigious than an E-Class. The luxurious image of Mercs in HK is overhyped, particularly when you go to Germany and see that most taxis are MBs, and E-Classes at that.

However, if "luxury" or perceived "prestige" is important to you and you (and/or people whose opinion you value on such matters) think that the MB (or a Maserati) gives you that, whereas a Tesla wouldn't, then you might as well go ahead and buy another MB.

Tesla is a fairly new brand where Benz is a classic and is consider a luxury especially for mid age guy like me who drive Benz only for the last four cars I owned. Other then battery power, advanced in technology. Whats the purchasing point over the traditional luxury Benz?
To me it comes down to this: if you want to make a positive difference and contribute to the odds of humanity having a future, you buy an EV, and Tesla is obviously by far the best EV and likely will be for the foreseeable future.

Yes, electricity is generally made from fossil fuels, but that is gradually changing and EVs can be powered by clean electricity just as easily as dirty electricity. Gas cars will always be powered by dirty energy.

Conventional cars use ancient technology that is bad for the environment and distort political judgements, and compared to a Tesla are a far worse driving experience. You had a test drive so I'm sure you can appreciate that, no need to go into details.

Help change the world for the better, or stay with the same old way of doing things that has the planet on the path to disaster.

Seems like an easy choice if you can afford a Tesla. There are dozens of threads on TMC that discuss this and they all come to the same conclusion.

Last edited:
If its a flat out luxury / comfort comparison, Tesla still has a way to go. The finish, comfort and build quality are improving, but still not as good as a Benz. That's the truth. No honest comparison could show otherwise. (Maybe if you compare an A or a C Class but this guy has an E).
But if you are looking for a car that is fun to drive, environmentally responsible, has cheaper running costs and some interesting technology, then the Model S is a strong contender.

Personally I love the above points and I also love the ACCELERATION. That's why I'm selling my Benz. (I will miss having my seat belts automatically extended out to me... Yes this is a luxury thing:tongue:).

End of the day, try driving both cars and the one you like more is the correct choice for you. Other people's opinions matter on so far. You have to live with it day in day out.

As for the annual inspections in 7 years time, I do worry about the inspectors knowing how to inspect a Model S. For instance when they jack up the car to inspect the undercarriage and suspension, will they know to use the correct jack points or risk damage to the battery pack. Also will the braking test me different?

It is like buying a Rimowa vs a Samsonite or Delsey. I will always go for a Rimowa. Let say the P85 is same price as a Maserati, without question I will buy a Maserati. Even though I think Maserati looks ugly.. lol

I'm also from MB 08' E280. I was about to test drive a new E400. It changed my view completely when I had chance to test drive and read those MS reviews. I sold my MB and ordered 85D one month after test drive. To me, the difference is between Nokia 8800 and iPhone.
Yes, my complaint was MS's spartan interior compare to MB, specially the seats. When the NG seats (Front & Back) was available in early Mar, I have no more reason to reject joining the MS family. Exciting to meet it in Sep(ETA was late Aug).

+1

In terms of luxury (especially interior comfort and build quality), the 2015/16 C or E definitely wins over the Model S. The Model S is also less agile as it's pretty big and the turning radius is not as sharp as other European or Japanese cars. There are certain things you have to sacrifice in order to get the supercar-like acceleration, the tech, the quietness and the storage space (if it matters to you). Moreover, in the long term it saves you quite a lot of petrol and maintenance money. And of course, it's emission-free and you do get the "privileged" EV parking spots.

If its a flat out luxury / comfort comparison, Tesla still has a way to go. The finish, comfort and build quality are improving, but still not as good as a Benz. That's the truth. No honest comparison could show otherwise. (Maybe if you compare an A or a C Class but this guy has an E).
But if you are looking for a car that is fun to drive, environmentally responsible, has cheaper running costs and some interesting technology, then the Model S is a strong contender.

Personally I love the above points and I also love the ACCELERATION. That's why I'm selling my Benz. (I will miss having my seat belts automatically extended out to me... Yes this is a luxury thing:tongue:).

End of the day, try driving both cars and the one you like more is the correct choice for you. Other people's opinions matter on so far. You have to live with it day in day out.

As for the annual inspections in 7 years time, I do worry about the inspectors knowing how to inspect a Model S. For instance when they jack up the car to inspect the undercarriage and suspension, will they know to use the correct jack points or risk damage to the battery pack. Also will the braking test me different?

there is no reason why Tesla is not the preferred option. The only thing you need to make sure is you are able to arrange charger to be installed, or you live near a supercharger

I wouldn't worry too much about that perhaps I'm lucky to be on the Island side. I took delivery early December 14 Hopewell center was the only SC just 5k away, now you have Lee Garden, Cyberport and Repulse Bay. Science Park and Panda Hotel SC are being installed and there is also a second one in Kowloon Bay .... I'm not worried and I have now given up chasing management company to let me install home charging.

When you say the price of the cars is about the same, you should try to look beyond just sticker price.

It's like comparing a cheap inkjet printer to a laser printer.

The inkjet is dirt cheap, but will cost you a fortune in cartridges and it won't last too long.

The laser printer is much more economical in cartridges and usually last much longer.

"Benz" and other ICE cars are the inkjet, Tesla is the laser printer.

With supercharging enabled for a Tesla Model S, you should ask the dealer about "add in a limitless fuel card that is valid for the life of the car".

How much petrol (gas?) do you burn per year, and what does it cost you? How much do you pay for service?

There is even an anticipated "hidden bonus" to an EV: It is likely that some kind of FRT will be applicable even for EVs in the near future. Possibly already from April 2017. When a new EV suddenly jumps up in price, existing EV owners should get a boost of the resale value.

For this particular reason, it will be very interesting to see how the arrival of Tesla Model III into Hong Kong will match April 1st 2017. I would say that as soon as orders can be taken for the Model III, be sure to get a number in. It could really become a question of "before and after FRT adjustment" for deliveries.

So back to your Benz versus Model S:

I would definitely go for the Model S. Hong Kong is perfect for that: No long distances (like Australia/USA/Canada). No FRT at all (only about a 50 HKD fee!), and just over 1000 in yearly road tax. Low yearly expenses: Tires, insurance, windshield wipers, windshield wiper fluid ... and some electricity, depending on where you charge up. Zero, if you can use superchargers all the time.

The most important thing you should consider is where you can charge. If you live close to a supercharger, or can install a charging station where you live (or work), then you are all set to go!

Good luck, and welcome to TMC forums.

I owned a Volvo 850 turbo, BMW 528i, Mercedes E250 and E63 and Audi Q7 before, I think the Tesla MS 85 that I own now is the best so far in term of acceleration, maintenance, running cost, environmental friendly and its technology.

90% of my mind is sold to the Model S, the 10% can't justify over with the brand Mercedes vs Tesla at the same price.

As for the charging problem, i don't care if my building don't let me install a charger. I will charge it at Cyberport or Hopewell Tower.

But I probably won't buy it this year. I want to see a face-lift Sedan from Tesla, if not I will get the Model X. Even through I am not too fond on the wing door.

Hello All.

1st - I just did my test drive today, it was wonderful. Currently I drive a Benz W212 (E250) purchase in December 2009. The price of a Tesla is same as purchasing a new 2015 E250. Tesla is a fairly new brand where Benz is a classic and is consider a luxury especially for mid age guy like me who drive Benz only for the last four cars I owned. Other then battery power, advanced in technology. Whats the purchasing point over the traditional luxury Benz?

2nd - I am from Canada, and I trade in my new car every 5 years for a new one. Sometimes I don't catch up with the newest model too. Ever since I came back to Hong Kong in 2009, I have my E250 until now. The law and regulation in Hong Kong require us to do vehicle examination when the car reach age 7. At the moment my car is 6 years and 5 months. Is it true I need to sell it soon? What will happen to the price after age 7 and will it become a hassle for vehicle examination?

Thanks all, appreciate your input.

it dose drop a bit after 7th year but 8th 9th....... don't drop as much only on 7th because many people don't what the hassle to fix the car for MOT.
I have had my Honda Stepwgn for almost 8 years now and the price has dropped about 55% which is very good unlike my old car 2004 BMW 525 E60 which is now under $100k from $550k.
I think it all depends on the make and model of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

For your second question, the 7 year (and onwards) test is a road worthiness test. It is fairly straightforward, but needs to be booked well in advance. The government centres nowadays are typically booked solid for at least a month. (this goes back to some anti-corruption measures put in place last year).

Most owners (without experience) just arrange the yearly test with their usual garage and co-ordinate it with their yearly service. Mercedes will certainly do this for you. The garage will book the appointment for you, do a pre-examination, take it to the government centre for the test, bring it back, and handle the paperwork. If this is done as part of the yearly service, it is usually not too expensive. You can also do it yourself, but needs some more experience.

The MOT need to book over 8 to 10 weeks now so plan ahead

90% of my mind is sold to the Model S, the 10% can't justify over with the brand Mercedes vs Tesla at the same price.

As for the charging problem, i don't care if my building don't let me install a charger. I will charge it at Cyberport or Hopewell Tower.

But I probably won't buy it this year. I want to see a face-lift Sedan from Tesla, if not I will get the Model X. Even through I am not too fond on the wing door.

Well, since the brand is so important to you, go buy another E-Class and be done with it then.