Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving to Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings Everyone,

I've searched the forum and wasn't sure where to post, and couldn't find any threads dedicated to the topic.

It looks like I may have a chance to move to Europe next year, either Denmark or GB. Since I have no desire to buy a gas car over there, and have already paid a significant portion of the car, I wanted to find out what it would take to convert a US Model S to European standards.

i know we have to change tail lights, but is the wiring already there?

How ow do I tell the firmware it's new location?

Charging port changes? Or just new adapters?

I would really reconsider selling in USA and re-purchasing (new or used) in EU.
You will get all sorts of "challenges" when you import a USA car here:
1) charge port is different (means only USA UMC will work)
2) internal chargers are single phase (EU chargers can also do 3-phase)
3) no supercharging possible anymore
4) connectivity (SIM is difficult to replace)
5) your warranty (if any left) will be void
6) Tesla might not even offer paid repairs on imported car
Etc.

Are you moving on a temporary basis (example - military, etc). If so, you may be able to take advantages of some of the status of forces agreements, which makes taking a vehicle over on a temporary basis fairly straight forward. But, charging is another matter altogether.

Denmark here. Home charging with 3-phase is a must. EV's are currently free from registration tax, for normal gas car's it is VERY high. For the price of a Tesla Model S, you will only get a basic gas Mercedes C-class.

The wait for a Model S is long, but if you are in a hurry, there is a good market for used non-D cars.

Same advise, sell US car and buy European.