Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edmonton <--> Vancouver round trip average 202 Wh/km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
for a total distance of about 2800km, following HWY 1 route which has all the necessary superchargers.

The car lifelong average is 238 Wh/km, which is from Sept.2014 to today. Living and driving daily through an Edmonton winter.

The other thing to report is that it is not necessary for 100% range charging anywhere on this route if driving a 85 battery.
..that's with the trip temperatures between -2 to +10C typically... and at no time was battery warming cycle triggered by cold temperatures at first start up for the day.

We used cabin heating as required for comfort, and little shots of A/C to clear interior window fogging due to humidity near the coast on rainy / coldish days.

On the way to Vancouver I drove moderately, stayed at or under the speed limit. After learning range is no problem between any two SC I drove, er uhm, less moderately on the way back.

Passing anything you want whilst going uphill on a long steep mountain pass is awesome. Push the pedal and zoom you're by any obstacle.

Suggestion: Give your kid in the back a wireless USB mouse and plug it in, and have them use the web browser to pre-visit each upcoming town on wikipedia and read out interesting facts. Turns a ride into a narrated tour! We actually made stops and sought things out in towns, even if SC was not there to charge up.

Last edited:
reporting my own post worked wonders, thanks Mod!

Took the 5.

Route (stopping points for charging): Edmonton (home) - Red Deer SC - (bypass Calgary on new Stoney Trail) - Banff (charged at hotel, overnight) - Golden SC - Revelstoke SC - Kamloops (charged at hotel, overnight) HWY 5 route to - Hope SC - Vancouver (charged at hotel daily) downtown

on the way back slightly different:
Route: White Rock (charged at residence daily) - Hope SC - Kamloops SC - Revelstoke (SC, stayed overnight) - Golden SC - Canmore SC - (bypass Calgary again) - Red Deer SC - Edmonton (home)

We pre-planned the trip with 2 overnight stays in one direction because we wanted it relaxed and were a little uncertain of charging times (hadn't used a supercharger yet) and we planned 1 overnight stay the way back. We chose hotels that offered Level 2 charging, all charging free. In my head I factor in "saved fuel costs" of what it would take a gas car to fuel up which makes it feel like the hotel room is half price if you arrive "empty". I know this is not an apples to apples comparison of ICE gas to price of electrons... but I'm irrational sometimes if it makes me feel good.

Do you agree that EV drivers are probably more willing to spend at destinations because it costs nothing to get there?

I think it would be possible to do one-way in a day... with 2 drivers. But I recommend staying somewhere for one night, and not pushing to do this all in a day. Pick daylight hours travelling between Kamloops and Golden. Enjoyed the mountains, still fresh snow.

And a wikipedia tour made it very interesting. Stop and see the sights!

Last edited:
It's definitely possible in 1 day. Pairtrader just did it and I would've done the same last month had my passenger not been my pregnant spouse who didn't want to sit for 15 hours. :)

It is possible, but a long day. I left Vancouver at 6:40am PST and wanted to make it to Edmonton before midnight MDT (arrived at 11:20pm) so I drove quite quickly. I am able to leave Edmonton earlier Sunday so I plan to drive closer to the speed limit (easier said than done) and enlist the help of cruise control, so my numbers should be a bit more realistic. I will still do the trip in one day. I think scottm has the right idea spending a night in Revelstoke, especially with a significant other. I may do this in July and stay at the KOA, which is not open in April. The sub 16 hour trip was a pleasure compared to 30 hours last year.