Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto EVfest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about the Kingston KOA? http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Ontario/Kingston.html Keep your speed slow during the trip, and you'll only need an hour or two of charging there to get you to Toronto.

Hans visited Ottawa with the Toronto demo car on the day my Roadster arrived. He was there to give a couple of test drives to locals, and dropped by to borrow my charger. On the 401 he charged his Roadster at a KOA in Ganonoque, although they charged the full $75 overnight slot rental fee for a couple of hours use. So it is possible to do.

The other problem would be charging it in Toronto.

The other problem would be charging it in Toronto.
Hi Doug. I don't know if you were thinking of taking the time to travel to the Toronto EVFest in a week but I was able to charge my car in Kingston at the Confederation Hotel (they let me drive up on the lawn and connect into a room's AC outlet) and I would be happy to let you charge up with my HPC in Toronto.

I haven't decided if I want to throw myself into an "EV Fest" (I'm content just to drive the car around Toronto) but I know our role is to spread the EV word!

Perhaps we should get together and encourage a hotel (or restaurant?) in Kingston to put in a NEMA-15 connector. I live west of Toronto, but would love to take my Roadster to Ottawa for a weekend.

Other thoughts?

Aside from being pretty busy, my main barrier to driving to Toronto is the lack of a Mobile Connector! :tongue: I've been intending to order one but haven't got around to it...

Totally agreed, though, if we could get a convenient charge point installed somewhere between Kingston and Belleville, then Toronto-Ottawa trips would be easy. Hopefully located near some restaurants so you could have a leisurely lunch while the car charges.

There have been some murmurings about Ontario installing highway charge points as part of their green energy program. The only mention of it I've seen was of highways in and around Toronto, which is IMHO pretty useless for a Roadster. If you're driving around town you don't need a charger.

Hans drove up to Ottawa in early July, and charged at a KOA RV park in Ganonoque. They charged him the standard $75 RV slot rental for a couple of hours use; quite the profit margin on that one. He was kinda on fumes when he got here, but my HPC sorted that out quickly.

If anyone does come up to Ottawa and needs a fast charge, I'd be happy to lend some time on my HPC. I'm in the south end not far from the 416, which would be quite handy. Just drop me a line beforehand.

Don't quote me, but I think Hans (the Toronto sales rep) is willing to install a charge port in someplace around Kingston if he can just find the right place that would be "worthy" for a traveller stopping along the way.

I had thought of Kingston as an overnight spot between Toronto and either Ottawa or Montreal, but you are right, Doug, an extended lunch or dinner could have you back on the road with a full charge to arrive at your destination.

Don't quote me, but I think Hans (the Toronto sales rep) is willing to install a charge port in someplace around Kingston if he can just find the right place that would be "worthy" for a traveller stopping along the way.

I had thought of Kingston as an overnight spot between Toronto and either Ottawa or Montreal, but you are right, Doug, an extended lunch or dinner could have you back on the road with a full charge to arrive at your destination.

That would be wonderful! Plus you wouldn't need a full charge to finish the trip; two hours on an HPC would be plenty.

I'm helping organize the EV Fest in Toronto @ Toyota-On-the-Park (Leslie @ Eglinton), Sunday, October 17th and would like to extend a personal invitation to all Tesla Drivers to join David W. and Doug G. and me for a BBQ and discussion about this clean, quiet mode of transportation that is going to take the world by storm. We can help with a "slow" charge at the EV Fest with a Welder outlet. We also have a friend in Kingston who is willing to help with a Dryer outlet. And, of course, Hans can help you with a real charge in Yorkville. Just email him.

I could... but I'd have to find somewhere to charge it along the 401. It's 415 km (259 miles) from here. Anyone know of such a place?

Doug, Our EV Fest Host service Manager, Pat Barnes, has a buddy in Kinkgston that could assist, so long as you can connect from a dryer socket to your car! Anyone around able to loan a cord for the job? Maybe we could do a drive out and meet up with the cord, if we could get a loaner! Robert

Well, it looks like we're not going to be able to pull it together. My fault for not getting around to ordering the UMC! We had a good lead on a possible 240V outlet, but we couldn't figure out a way to get a UMC to Kingston in time.

I'd love to come next year. It would really underscore the utility of EVs to have one that was driven from Ottawa on display.

I wonder what it would take to get a convenient 240V outlet located somewhere in Kingston? Especially if it could be located near some restaurants so you could have a liesurely lunch while the car topped up. That would make Toronto-Ottawa and Toronto-Montreal trips quite feasible.

Anyone around able to loan a cord for the job? Maybe we could do a drive out and meet up with the cord, if we could get a loaner! Robert

I have a mobile charger with the full set of different connection plug ends if someone were able to meet Doug_G around Kingston with the cable package. He can use my home charger or he could be charged up at EV Fest once he is in Toronto.

Unfortunately, time is running out to make this happen before Sunday's event. Also, Kingston is about 280km and almost 3 hours from Toronto to deliver the cords. Please let me know if you require my equipment.

Tesla Motors of Canada were unavailable, due to scheduling conflicts, to be present at the EV Fest this weekend in Toronto. I have volunteered to exhibit my Roadster at the show and would welcome anyone in the area to attend to help promote the Tesla brand and the cause of Electric Vehicles.

I have a mobile charger with the full set of different connection plug ends if someone were able to meet Doug_G around Kingston with the cable package. He can use my home charger or he could be charged up at EV Fest once he is in Toronto.

Unfortunately, time is running out to make this happen before Sunday's event. Also, Kingston is about 280km and almost 3 hours from Toronto to deliver the cords. Please let me know if you require my equipment.

Prime, If we could use the cord, and transport it to a recommended location - it seems we have the experience (by email) of David, charging up there, and Pat's buddy offering a location for Electrons, it now remains a matter of syncing up the three things, getting the cord, driving out to meet up with Doug G, getting it charged ( while we have a bite to eat ), and getting back to T.O. [Might have to do it all in reverse again, for the exit/return trip]

So - Targets needed: Exact address to charge at, time to meet there, contact PH#'s, local connect with you to get cord, and sufficient drive time in day to make it happen!! If no one else can make the connect for helping Doug come down, I believe I may be able to do the drive. I might not be able to help him for the return - might need a backup for that half!

Thanks PM...very nice of you to help out with allowing your Roadster to be on display and the offer to lend your charging equipment to Doug if required.

I saw Hans yesterday in St. Catharines...he gave me some brochures on the Roadster & a flyer on the Model S to hand out at the show so we'll have some materials available.

Tesla Motors of Canada were unavailable, due to scheduling conflicts, to be present at the EV Fest this weekend in Toronto. I have volunteered to exhibit my Roadster at the show and would welcome anyone in the area to attend to help promote the Tesla brand and the cause of Electric Vehicles.

Well, it looks like we're not going to be able to pull it together. My fault for not getting around to ordering the UMC! We had a good lead on a possible 240V outlet, but we couldn't figure out a way to get a UMC to Kingston in time.

I wonder what it would take to get a convenient 240V outlet located somewhere in Kingston? Especially if it could be located near some restaurants so you could have a liesurely lunch while the car topped up. That would make Toronto-Ottawa and Toronto-Montreal trips quite feasible.

Doug, We almost have it nailed! I PM's you this morning! If anyone here on this thread has Dougs phone, please call him! We nearly have the last two things together - I am sure I can have the cord, and I can deliver it to Kingston, but need you to reply to my PM with email and PH#'s to tighten up this coordination! Once I am in direct contact with Prime Mover, and Doug_G, I will get the actual Charging Point Tied down, Either Pat's Friend, or the Place David Used in Kingston!