Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D 19" tire pressure recommendation is now 50psi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new P85D says 50 psi on the door sticker.

Isn't 51 psi the max inflation pressure for the Primacys? Mine came 51 psi on all 4 corners from the factory last week. Warm, they're 54 psi.

I wonder why they changed it? Seems dangerous.

The psi listed on the sidewall of the tire notes that it is for the tire cold. It is expected to rise above the cold pressure setting when the tire is used.

My new P85D says 50 psi on the door sticker.

Isn't 51 psi the max inflation pressure for the Primacys? Mine came 51 psi on all 4 corners from the factory last week. Warm, they're 54 psi.

I wonder why they changed it? Seems dangerous.

Was there a service bulletin? Or just a tech who told you this?

FullSizeRender 11.jpg

From my service rep. I saw the work order, and mentioned that my door jam sticker says 45psi. He double checked with two techs and the foreman, and they all confirmed that P85D 19" is supposed to be 50psi. From the other posts above, looks like recent deliveries have an updated door jam sticker showing 50psi.

That's a very important question as 50 psi is the upper pressure limit for a number of tires. Inquiring minds want to know:)

Reading the fine print on the tire, most are 51. However, that's cold pressure first thing in the morning before driving. It's just fine to have them increase over that during the day. It won't hurt them a bit as tires are designed to be able to do that. Typically there is around an 8% pressure increase after driving on the highway for a bit. This might be 15% if the day gets significantly warmer.

- - - Updated - - -

But the front motor probably only adds 50-75lbs or so....not enough to justify raising tire pressure so high. I mean honestly adding a passenger to the car adds more weight than the front motor does.

If you look at the load/inflation tables you'll see that the carrying capacity stops somewhere around 45 psi (from memory). The additional pressure is to keep the tire cool at high speeds without adding any load capacity. I really don't understand why people are so afraid of pressure in a tire--as long as they're not putting in way more than what it says on the sidewall. The vehicle placard pressure is a starting point only, not a maximum because it's based on a set of assumptions--change any of the assumptions and the pressure needs to be changed (although with 51 psi tires, there's not a lot of room left if the placard pressure is 50). I suspect the next generation of tires will have even higher pressures.

Googling a bit came up with a few interesting hits. Particularly this older thread where these guys run 60-70psi in 44max psi rated tires to get better mpg. Tire pressure above 44 psi? - CleanMPG Forums There was a mention of someone running 120psi and a mention from an engineer that said tires wouldn't spontaneously blow up until well after 200psi. I may go out and pump up my tires to 50psi and see if it makes any difference. It's probably negligible.

Since the Ds are not traction limited, it makes sense to raise the pressure for reduced tire wear and better efficiency. The RWD models (Ps at least) are traction-limited typically, so that ends itself to lower pressures to increase the contact patch.

Since the Ds are not traction limited, it makes sense to raise the pressure for reduced tire wear and better efficiency. The RWD models (Ps at least) are traction-limited typically, so that ends itself to lower pressures to increase the contact patch.

My P is not traction limited bc I'm running 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 but this tire has def taken a 10-20% hit to my Wh/mi. Running higher psi to get some of that back would be nice if possible.

Googling a bit came up with a few interesting hits. Particularly this older thread where these guys run 60-70psi in 44max psi rated tires to get better mpg. Tire pressure above 44 psi? - CleanMPG Forums There was a mention of someone running 120psi and a mention from an engineer that said tires wouldn't spontaneously blow up until well after 200psi.

That would be on new tires with no injuries. For long term, I wouldn't go anywhere near that. Anecdote: A 4x4 buddy put 150 psi in the spare so that he could use it to rapidly inflate his other tires as trail conditions changed without carrying a lot of extra weight. Worked for about six months, then the cords unwrapped from the bead.

I may go out and pump up my tires to 50psi and see if it makes any difference. It's probably negligible.

I think you may be surprised. I can always tell when my tires are down a couple of psi.

- - - Updated - - -

My S85, delivered March 28, came with the tires inflated to 50 psi, though the door jam sticker says 45 psi. So the increased pressure is not only for the P85D.

That's my take on it. I've been running 51 for a couple of years now, as i consider the vehicle placard pressure to be a pressure I never want to go below (in the Model S and other on-road cars, SUVs 4x4s, etc. are another story).

FWIW, a couple of times my service center has reported that my tire pressure was too low (no dash warning light) and had adjusted. When I checked cold myself the next day, they are usually set to around 50 PSI. This is on my 2 year old S85. I had always set to 45 when checking myself.