Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Poll for all owners - Android or iPhone?

What type of Smartphone OS do you use?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is for owners (or reservation holders) only please. The last poll was over a year ago, and Tesla has made a lot of new customers since then. Relating to threads like this, we're attempting to get a big sample size of what operating system folks who buy Teslas use.

Three options, choose wisely! Thanks.

Yes I know some people use other OS like Blackberry or Windows or PalmOS or Symbian or have a 300 baud modem installed in their frunk, but we're trying to get a handle on Android vs iOS for this poll. Didn't mean to leave you out, don't take it personally!

I have one of both because of personal and work phones. They both integrate via Bluetooth flawlessly. They also both have the Tesla app and they work just fine. The only difference is, when I try to remotely "log in" to the car using the app, the Apple version seems to bring up the car much faster while the Android version hangs out in the scrolling wheel phase for a long time.

Windows Phone outsells IOS in some markets (Italy, for example).

You need to add WP or "Other" to make this even semi meaningful.

The OP stated very clearly that he understood that he was leaving out all platforms other than Android and iOS, and was doing so intentionally because the purpose of this poll was to simply compare those two operating systems. So he doesn't need to do a thing to accomplish the goal he set out to accomplish with this poll.

Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

The poll was a result of a question of whether or not Tesla should be focusing on the iOS version of the app, versus the Android version. Since they don't make another version, that's why they were left out of the poll.

- - - Updated - - -

So much for the IOS theory.

These are still impressive iOS numbers, considering that there are so many more Androids out there than iOS phones and yet it's basically even among Tesla owners (for the small sample, so far). But if the numbers hold up, Tesla should be spending equal time.

These are still impressive iOS numbers, considering that there are so many more Androids out there than iOS phones and yet it's basically even among Tesla owners (for the small sample, so far). But if the numbers hold up, Tesla should be spending equal time.

Given a little more time, iOS will pull ahead a little more. This poll was spawned from a discussion thread about Android app, so the initial responses will skew toward Android.

In any case, Tesla should be giving similar amounts of resources to both platforms. Which they may already be doing, but the programmers are may be more familiar with iOS, so they develop for it first.

Alternatively, iOS could be considered the harder or more limited platform, so it's developed there first. I know that in video game development, if you make the more powerful system the lead platform, you will have a very difficult time getting parity on the weaker platforms.

From my experience, IOS is the far easier, yet more limited platform! Maybe it's just my limitations, but I can crank out stuff on IOS all day. Android takes forever! Just try designing a UI that works on every existing Android device, not to mention supporting a hugely fragmented user base...... Ugh!

The poll was a result of a question of whether or not Tesla should be focusing on the iOS version of the app, versus the Android version. Since they don't make another version, that's why they were left out of the poll.

Perhaps Tesla have already focussed too much on IOS and Android, at the expense of the rest of the world. If they don't want to offer dedicated support to other platforms, then they could at least provide a web interface.

Anyway, how hard is it to just update this poll with 2 extra options : "Neither IOS or Android" and "None - I don't use the app".

Maybe this is poll is for West Virginia residents only: "we want you to have a choice so we will legislate to restrict your choice".

This is a good indicator that both iOS and Android apps should get equal attention. If this was a US only thread, iOS numbers would pull ahead even more and Tesla being a CA company, their might be a slight iOS bias. But internationally, Android dominates.

Anyway, how hard is it to just update this poll with 2 extra options : "Neither IOS or Android" and "None - I don't use the app".

Extremely hard. Polls cannot be changed once started. Otherwise you could make some crazy skewed polls by adding a choice you don't like late, etc.

The poll should probably be deleted (or maybe reset by Mods?) and started over with at least a "neither" options

That's the exact opposite of my experience Kendrick...my wife's iphone 5 seems to take forever to "connect", but my Android connects fairly quickly...odd...

I have one of both because of personal and work phones. They both integrate via Bluetooth flawlessly. They also both have the Tesla app and they work just fine. The only difference is, when I try to remotely "log in" to the car using the app, the Apple version seems to bring up the car much faster while the Android version hangs out in the scrolling wheel phase for a long time.

Interesting that its so close. I would have guessed 80% android, but we are all in our own little worlds. In my experience, there are a lot of software engineer tesla owners, and of those, the vast majority have android, except for ui developers, who seem to like iphones more (so 90% android?). Being from seattle :)-)), I have actually seen someone in the flesh with a windows phone, but they are always either (ex?) microsoft employees or a coo type. At my little startup, the ui people mostly have iphones, and everyone else has an android except the ex-microsoft coo has a windows phone. SO that should clarify it for everyone :)

Last edited:
Ok, what am I doing wrong? :) I see the poll at the top of the list but do not see anything to click on to vote. Running Safari 9.1 on a MacBook running OSX 10.9.5.

BTW, regarding the iPhone version (what I use) every now and then when I turn on the phone there is a small Tesla "T" in the lower left corner of the screen. Not always there but when it is there it does not appear to react to being clicked on. Any ideas what that is for?