Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard time waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dutchie

Jun 9, 2013
Canada
I was at the Tesla store in Vancouver yesterday. They now have a P85D on display with executive seats. The only thing I don't want a Model S is that the car is so low and it is so difficult getting in and out of the car. I desperately want the X, but it is so difficult waiting for it. I was told that there are plenty of people who got a Model S in the mean time, only to exchange it when the Model X comes around. It is so tempting to do that too but I am reluctant as I am afraid in the diminished value for when I change the Model S for a Model X. Sometimes I tell myself that the Model S is not that bad getting in and out too, just to justify getting one now.. It is so tempting, the Model X takes so long...

Has anybody else have the same kind of difficulty?

I was at the Tesla store in Vancouver yesterday. They now have a P85D on display with executive seats. The only thing I don't want a Model S is that the car is so low and it is so difficult getting in and out of the car. I desperately want the X, but it is so difficult waiting for it. I was told that there are plenty of people who got a Model S in the mean time, only to exchange it when the Model X comes around. It is so tempting to do that too but I am reluctant as I am afraid in the diminished value for when I change the Model S for a Model X. Sometimes I tell myself that the Model S is not that bad getting in and out too, just to justify getting one now.. It is so tempting, the Model X takes so long...

Has anybody else have the same kind of difficulty?

We gave up our X reservation for an 85D. I feared the X would be beyond our price range, and the S has increased in price so many times that I worried if we waited to see we'd be priced out of both cars. Prices jumping again in March made me glad we switched late last year.

If we were less price sensitive, I'd have considered buying a used S sans autopilot and then resold it when our X was delivered. The net cost would be just a year of depreciation (not first year depreciation though) and 1-2 years of excise tax.

The only thing I don't want a Model S is that the car is so low and it is so difficult getting in and out of the car... Sometimes I tell myself that the Model S is not that bad getting in and out too, just to justify getting one now.
My wife and I are now in our 60's (I almost cringe writing that), she is 5'2" and I am 6'2", and we have no difficulty at all in getting in and out of our S.

I have no intention of offending you with this question, and I ask this in all seriousness: do you have some kind of disabling medical condition or significant physical limitation? The Model S doors seem very large to me and they open out quite a ways, so I do not understand why the X would be easier to get in and out of. Would it be because you step up into the vehicle?

My wife and I are now in our 60's (I almost cringe writing that), she is 5'2" and I am 6'2", and we have no difficulty at all in getting in and out of our S.

I have no intention of offending you with this question, and I ask this in all seriousness: do you have some kind of disabling medical condition or significant physical limitation? The Model S doors seem very large to me and they open out quite a ways, so I do not understand why the X would be easier to get in and out of. Would it be because you step up into the vehicle?

No, no offence - I have nothing to hide. Yes, I am in long term disability due to a car accident five years ago (severe whiplash with neck and lower back issues) we now drive a SUV and even that is hard for me sometimes. Some days are better than others and yesterday when I tried again to sit in it is was rather difficult getting in and out. Once I am in I am in. These new seats are quite nice. Will the X be so much more expensive?

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm 49 years old, 6' tall, 190 lbs, and I find it awkward to get in and out of the car. So your concern is definitely justified. However, I wouldn't give up on it. I have sciatica (disabling at times since I have a L3 - L4 bulging disc touching the nerves). I got myself a treadmill desk (to avoid sitting - which is the new smoking) and then started doing regular core exercises. The change has been drastic. I look at getting in and out of the car as an exercise. Just like I always take the stairs at my office. If you can get in and out of the car at the store, even though there may be some pain, use that as motivation and look at it as a challenge rather than a fear. Life's too short not to drive this car. Get the car, and work on strengthening your core. Then don't look back! (Unless it's into the rear view mirror, or the rear view camera on the screen! ;) )

It is a struggle to wait, but the S was never the car I wanted. It has helped that some of my best friends have bought an S while waiting so I can be reminded frequently that the S is amazing, but much too low to get in and out of!

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm 49 years old, 6' tall, 190 lbs, and I find it awkward to get in and out of the car. So your concern is definitely justified. However, I wouldn't give up on it. I have sciatica (disabling at times since I have a L3 - L4 bulging disc touching the nerves). I got myself a treadmill desk (to avoid sitting - which is the new smoking) and then started doing regular core exercises. The change has been drastic. I look at getting in and out of the car as an exercise. Just like I always take the stairs at my office. If you can get in and out of the car at the store, even though there may be some pain, use that as motivation and look at it as a challenge rather than a fear. Life's too short not to drive this car. Get the car, and work on strengthening your core. Then don't look back! (Unless it's into the rear view mirror, or the rear view camera on the screen! ;) )

Thank you for your kind words. I am at the moment already three to four time per week in the gym. Yes, I love the car very much but it is still a struggle, get this one or wait even longer still for the X. It just takes soooooo long for the X to come out...

-

- - - Updated - - -

It is a struggle to wait, but the S was never the car I wanted. It has helped that some of my best friends have bought an S while waiting so I can be reminded frequently that the S is amazing, but much too low to get in and out of!

Thanks, good to hear I am not the only one. You seem to take it better than me though

I personally got a Model S, even though the Model X is the car I want, and I can't say I've been dissatisfied. I am getting to enjoy the EV adventure in a car that will surely be recognized as iconic for decades to come.

That said, it is a difficult car to get in and out of, due to its low cabin and seats - and the frameless windows and unconventional door inside/out handles don't help either. I usually put one foot out and then wrestle myself up using the B pillar as leverage. Not BMW i8 difficult, but still worse than any SUV of course and harder than some higher roofline sedans too where you have more options to stand upwards and maybe use the door's window frame as leverage too. Model X will be significantly better, because of higher cabin - even if there isn't a big difference in ground clearance.

The people at the Tesla store obviously want to sell you a car right now. I would say some people on TMC also want to sell you a car right now, so to speak. :) But, of course, only you can know what is good for you.

on the computer screen I set and save a second memory seat position way back & low to allow easier entry & exit. I simply use this second position from the computer screen before I exit . Once in the car I use my saved primary comfortable driving position setting.
MuchEasier entry & exit.
Best of Luck

I am in my 30s, no injuries, and I find it somewhat difficult to get in and out of Model S. My wife didn't like it at all. My main problem was hitting my head on the A pillar while entering or exiting. I don't think the floor of Model X will be any higher, so you won't be stepping up into the vehicle, but the roof will be taller so it should be easier to not hit your head while getting in.

I think as well if you were used to getting in and out of your Roadster, Model S was a piece of cake. Many people aren't used to vehicles so low to the ground.

I find it easier to get in and out of than my Jaguar XK8, I to am in my 60's and like all of us at that age have some issues. I do have a way that makes it easier, when I open the door I turn 90 degrees to the left put my feet on the ground and push myself up with my arms. I do not find having to do this a problem, I can get out any way I want but this makes it easy. I also have my Model S in always low, so that makes it harder than if it was at standard height. The Model X seats will probably set higher as in most SUVs.

I saw the Model S, it looks beautiful but is not convenient to get into. We have in-laws who visit us often and are over 70. They will have a hard time with it. We are a one car family and decided to wait for the Model X. I understand that TMC is delaying the Model X to achieve perfection, but I am tired of waiting for the car. I do not drive (medical condition), my wife is anxiously waiting for her Model X. I was told by TMC that I will get it in early 2016, but do not believe it. Most probably it will be Q3 of 2016. Sigh! :(

Last edited:
I think as well if you were used to getting in and out of your Roadster, Model S was a piece of cake. Many people aren't used to vehicles so low to the ground.
I bought my Roadster over a year after getting my S.

To be fair, before buying a Model S I drove a Porsche Cayman and a Porsche 356A. Those cars are somewhat more difficult to get in and out of than a Model S, but much easier than a Tesla Roadster. The Roadster is an order of magnitude more difficult than any car I have ever owned! But it's worth it.

Note: my 88 and 90 year old parents both own a Model S. They have no interest in an X.

on the computer screen I set and save a second memory seat position way back & low to allow easier entry & exit. I simply use this second position from the computer screen before I exit . Once in the car I use my saved primary comfortable driving position setting.
MuchEasier entry & exit.
Best of Luck

^-- Brilliant use of the car! Maybe even go a step further and (if you have it..) set your Suspension to Very High as well?