Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D hanging with the supercars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I periodically go on backroads drives with a group of exotic car owners here in the Bay Area. While we drive fast, everyone is careful to stay on their side of the road and slow way down for blind curves, bicyclists and pedestrians. That said, when the road is open the speed limits are ignored. Yesterday's turnout was above average, with 4 McLaren's, 3 Lambo's, 3 Ferrari's, a Porsche GT2 and 2 others, a Ford GT, and believe it or not, 2 $1.6M Pagani Huayra's!

Having been impressed with the acceleration and handling of my P85D, I had decided to bring it yesterday to see whether it could hang with the supercars. I'm happy to report that it did. It can accelerate as fast or faster than any of them, and the cornering is surprisingly good for such a heavy car. Understeer is definitely present, and the tires protest a bit in hard cornering, but only the most experienced drivers in 2 of the McLarens would consistently pull away. I personally need to get more comfortable getting on the throttle earlier in a corner to take advantage of the front motor's ability to help counter the understeer.

Several drivers said they were impressed with how fast the P85D was. I was surprised at the general lack of knowledge about Tesla among this group of motorheads. Most had not heard of the P85D and were amazed that it has 691 HP.

The only negative for the day was that I couldn't join the group for lunch afterwards because I was going to run out of range. I made it home with 20 miles of indicated range after driving 145 miles on a full charge. Usage was 465 wh/mi, which works out to 161 miles of range given that there are 75 usable kwh's in the 85 kwh battery.

Here's a fuzzy pic of the Huayra as I as starting to give chase on Hwy 9 coming out of Boulder Creek.

Huayra_zpskecdv3o4.jpg

The Huayra is such a unicorn. Only 100 sold, many still to be built, and less than 10 currently in the US. The carbon fiber bodied one belongs to legendary Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tom Perkins. At 83 he still likes to drive fast!

Huayra4_zpsbdsmnzy2.jpg

Huayra1_zpsf8xouom8.jpg

Huayra2_zpssrxohaia.jpg

Huayra3_zpsjou9kbw4.jpg

I'm drooling. It's one of my favorite cars because of the story behind the company and the level of attention that goes into handcrafting one of those works of art. I love the interior too... That ol' man sure knows how to live!!

I saw a silver Pagani about seven months ago (I'm going to guess it was the same one shown in the first picture--not sure how many silver Paganis are out on the Bay Area roads, but it didn't have plates at the time) heading up on 280 early on a weekend morning. I definitely followed it for a bit, but decided to stop so I didn't completely freak the owner out. Had I known he would've probably led me to a supercar hangout, I definitely would've hung on longer. Oh well...next time.

Looks like a fun morning. I'm surprised to hear not many of the owners had heard of the P85D's capabilities. I feel like even non-car people in the Bay Area know more than average about Teslas given they get so much press around here.

A bunch of us Porsche guys used to run up and down the various back roads in the Santa Cruz mountains. However our leader moved out of the Bay Area about 15 years ago (and since passed away), so I don't get up there as much as I would like. Only get to Alices maybe once or twice a year... My favorite twisties are on the back side of Mt Hamilton.

Was talking with a McLaren owner a while back. He had just taken delivery of it, so was selling his supercharged 'Vett. Was also planning to buy a Volt. When I asked him why he wasn't buying a Tesla instead, he gave me kind of a funny look and proceeded to tell me how when he was down visiting Jay Leno, Jay was telling him how great the Volt was...

The Huayra is such a unicorn. Only 100 sold, many still to be built, and less than 10 currently in the US. The carbon fiber bodied one belongs to legendary Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tom Perkins. At 83 he still likes to drive fast!

I'm so jealous. I've seen a Zonda at the Paris Auto Show, but never have seen any Pagani on the road. I need to move to California, clearly.

<snip> Was also planning to buy a Volt. When I asked him why he wasn't buying a Tesla instead, he gave me kind of a funny look and proceeded to tell me how when he was down visiting Jay Leno, Jay was telling him how great the Volt was...

weird story… don't know how to interpret his reaction.

Anyway, great thread and great pics, OP and subsequent posts. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome pics Dennis!

Huayra.... drooling...

Patrick_Drooling.jpg