Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't kill grandma!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had our Model S for a week now, and this might be a stupid question, but here's the scenario:

Let's say we're in Phoenix in the heat of summer, and I drive my grandma to the store. She wants to stay in the car in the air conditioning while I run in and grab a few things. I leave the key in the car, but when I jump out the car shuts down, turning off the climate. Grandma's dead in 5 minutes!

So, how do I 'run in to the store' while leaving the air conditioning running for somebody who wants to wait behind in the car? I hope I don't have to do that with the app, because that's kind of a pain.

I think you could either teach her to tap the touchscreen or don't shut the door completely.

Good advice Mike.

I'd close the door, then as I leave double click the fob (like manually opening) to prevent walk-away auto lock. Otherwise the alarm will go off.

Then she just touches the screen. Maybe every 10-15 mins (?) to keep the car awake.

You're golden.

You can also use your iPhone app to turn on the climate control in the off chance Grandma falls asleep and forgets to tap on the screen.

Also, you can see if the climate control is off or on, and if Grandma is playing with the temp settings again.

I think Grandma would prefer staying at home in her comfy rocker. Surely you can go to the store and pick up the things she wants without supervision?

just teach grandma how to shop online. I get everything delivered. Even groceries. I only need to leave my house to fill up CO2 tanks for my soda stream but I may go out and buy a huge one and a regulator to fill them up at home too haha