Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory delivery or local Tesla store?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will soon order a MC red S85 at a nearby Tesla store, but am intrigued by the idea of taking delivery at the factory and taking a tour with my Bay Area nephews. If I did so, I would combine the trip with a 225 mi run from Fremont to our Lake Tahoe cabin and then drive the 550 mi back home to Orange County.

Some negative thoughts come to mind:
1. Risk of making an 800 mi trip on a fresh-from-factory car and having some manufacturing defect be discovered hundreds of miles from a service center.
2. Risk of starting a long trip before becoming fully familiar with the car; handling, location of controls, use of touchscreen, etc.
3. Running 800 miles before having after-market paint treatment applied.

Of course I could take delivery locally and drive to Fremont for a factory tour, then on to Tahoe.

Is the "cool factor" of factory delivery worth it?

You can take the factory tour any time. I got my car at the factory and there's nothing special about it over getting it at your local service center. So if you intend to get an after-market paint treatment get it done right away after taking delivery locally. Then do your trip to Tahoe, taking the factory tour along the way. Don't forget to make a reservation for the tour.

You can take the factory tour any time. I got my car at the factory and there's nothing special about it over getting it at your local service center. So if you intend to get an after-market paint treatment get it done right away after taking delivery locally. Then do your trip to Tahoe, taking the factory tour along the way. Don't forget to make a reservation for the tour.

No savings at all. You still have to pay $900+ destination fee no matter where you receive the car.

Given this, I would schedule the factory tour and pick up locally. Then make the first road trip (probably after paint treatment) be "going back home" for the tour, then on to Tahoe. This would also give you some time to get familiar with the car to address your concerns.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I would love to take delivery at the factory since my MIL lives in San Jose and we are planning a visit at about the same time my S 85D is done.
Unfortunately I'm not interested in paying the 9% CA sales tax when I live in Idaho where sales tax is 6%.

Is there anyway to avoid the California sales tax premium over the state I will register it in?

John

Is there anyway to avoid the California sales tax premium over the state I will register it in?

John

The only option would be to not purchase the car in CA. Pick it up in one of the adjoining states if their tax rate is at or below your tax rate (assuming Idaho gives you a credit for "foreign" taxes paid to another state). I considered buying a car in Texas. Taxes aren't paid until registration. I could pick it up with a temp tag, drive home to NC (or to CA for the tour) and register it in NC, paying tax then.

That sales tax thing has got to be one of the stupidest laws ever! I can't imagine it does much of anything in terms of reducing tax avoidance, and it keeps visitors away who would like to take delivery of their cars at the factory and spend money in California.

That sales tax thing has got to be one of the stupidest laws ever! I can't imagine it does much of anything in terms of reducing tax avoidance, and it keeps visitors away who would like to take delivery of their cars at the factory and spend money in California.

Good point. I understand that part of the factory is labeled "Duty Free Zone", presumably to facilitate oversees shipment.

I looked at taking deliver of my 85D in California and driving it back to Texas. You have to pay California sales tax. Then when you get to Texas, you have to pay the "Use" Tax and take a credit for the California sales tax paid. I chose to take delivery in Texas. As such, I'm unsure of the exact procedure to claim the credit for California sales tax.

I have this as a open question with the Scottsdale store. I plan on leasing and AZ taxes only the lease payments and I believe that California does this also. I would like to do factory pick up and then spend long weekend in California before returning home to AZ. Worst case is pay California taxes for one month and then AZ. I suspect it is not possible and presume paperwork would be a nightmare but we will see what they say on Saturday when I take my test drive and place my order.

I have this as a open question with the Scottsdale store. I plan on leasing and AZ taxes only the lease payments and I believe that California does this also. I would like to do factory pick up and then spend long weekend in California before returning home to AZ. Worst case is pay California taxes for one month and then AZ. I suspect it is not possible and presume paperwork would be a nightmare but we will see what they say on Saturday when I take my test drive and place my order.

Hello! My S85 is in production right now and I've spoken with my DS about my lease. The car will be registered by Tesla for us when you lease. They will be sending a packet with the temporary plate and you'll later receive the MVD EV plates in the mail. It's very different from a purchase option. I was surprised. I would assume that taking delivery in CA wouldn't be difficult due to this.

And if I had the option to see it come off the line in CA I would have JUMPED at the chance. The How It's Made: Dream Cars - Tesla episode had me so intrigued! Hindsight being 20/20, I would have definitely visited the factory had I known about the registration loophole for leases.

That's true. I guess I don't need to see my specific car come off the line. I will have to try to figure that out when I'm traveling to the Bay Area again. As it stands, I travel for work and my next month or so is already booked up.

Next month, I'd be happy to drive your 85 back to factory for you so it can roll off the assembly line again and then drive the Vantage back to AZ. That way you and the other half can revel in the 85 drive from the factory ;) Hey, had to try!