Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tons of Used Model S - Getting ready for CPO Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just at the Highland Park, IL store and they have 94 used Tesla Model S's. Almost all of them are P85s. The sales rep said they are starting a CPO program and they are running out of room for these used Teslas! Market just got interesting in Chicago!!

Line of Model S's as far as the eye can see!

used 1.jpg

Back lot for overfill!

used 2.jpg

Test drove this beautiful white 85D!

85d white.jpg

Now I know what I am saving for!!!
:biggrin::biggrin:

I am hoping that the glut that they have around the country will force them to put a little more effort into moving them. For example, it would be nice if I could view the inventory on line. Also, I wonder what their pricing scheme will be? Non-negotiable sticker price?

I am hoping that the glut that they have around the country will force them to put a little more effort into moving them. For example, it would be nice if I could view the inventory on line. Also, I wonder what their pricing scheme will be? Non-negotiable sticker price?
+1 to the online part
I wish Tesla would post the available CPO models online, and maybe throw in the test drive/loaners as well!

CPO with the roadster was non-negotiable. You wanted it you paid the price asked. It appears their will be more Model S available to allow you to get the best configuration, but I doubt you will see any price haggling.

Fascinating! I knew there we lots of upgrades, at least among TMC members because of so many comments here. I had no idea the numbers could have been so large. There must be some quite good deals to be had.

I just took delivery of my CPO on Friday (Jan 2013, S85) and it was non-negotiable. It also took just over 3 weeks to have it delivered to Orlando from Maryland. Couldn't be happier with the car! Goodbye CTS-V, hello Model S.

Glad they are finally putting that new lot in Highland park to good use! I've got a couple months before my car goes over the 40K mark and comes out of warranty, I'll likely start looking at what the S85 market looks like then. Used/CPO just got more attractive in IL as well since they've suspended the Green fleets rebate program for New/Inventory Cars.

But so far this all still seems to be "hush-hush"... haven't seen any announcement, there isn't a web shop to browse inventory, etc.
Wouldn't that be absolutely badass? Think amazon.com, just for used Teslas. Prime membership might be dangerous, though :)

If you read the Q4 ER, they mentioned something that the CIO called "shop via warehouse". And later, Elon mentioned a "warehouse loan". So, I wonder if they will establish a line of credit somewhere to then sell CPO via in-house financing (ie. leasing).

If you go into a store the sales rep can pull up the inventory from around the country. They did this for me at the double black diamond event in Joliet. I noticed its an internal website, even though its using the external domain name. https://inventory.teslamotors.com. The rep said the used Model S are going to different stores within IL as well, Oakbrook, etc...

Here is hoping they will make an external, customer facing version of the same website.

To me it seems reasonable that Tesla ought to consider moving these snow-belt 1-axle-drive used vehicles to a non-snow-belt area with good sales. They could scatter them around to the sun belt so as to not mess up the marketplace by dumping them all in one location, unless there's some black hole somewhere sucking them all up (Silicon Valley?). Come to think of it, there's a train line direct from Chicago to Oakland: they could transport some of them that way, if they put enough protection on them, and send the rest south using whatever means.

bwa - a good place to send CPO cars is Norway. Importing used EVs still qualifies for all the interesting incentives there. In the USA, there really are no used-car EV incentives other than California, and elsewhere, HOV lane stickers and SuperCharging (which is part of the package anyway).

So that's where people are going to have to go to buy a P85 - the CPO program. I know I'm in a minority, but I still love my P85, and although I could easily (financially) get a P85D, I prefer my current car. Larger frunk, quieter (no front motor noise), and better passing at freeway speeds.

I wonder if the CPO program is Elon's secret weapon against the car dealers.

I went to the Tesla showroom in Rocklin, CA and asked them about CPO cars. Not sure if he was truly unsure, but he was absolutely oblivious to Tesla even wanting to start a CPO program.
That is so typical Tesla. Their own people usually know less than we do.

- - - Updated - - -

So that's where people are going to have to go to buy a P85 - the CPO program. I know I'm in a minority, but I still love my P85, and although I could easily (financially) get a P85D, I prefer my current car. Larger frunk, quieter (no front motor noise), and better passing at freeway speeds.
So with you on the noise. I'm actually having Tesla look at the whine from my front motor. But I'm curious about the comment on better passing at freeway speeds. Do you have data for that? I was under the impression that ones you hit 30mph the P85D was no better than the P85, but I don't think I've seen data that it's worse...
I wonder if the CPO program is Elon's secret weapon against the car dealers.
I doubt it. The "secret weapon" will start with a tweet :)
And the way things were phrased sounded to me that this was in the context of creating new car purchase demand.