Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third row seat temps/comfort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all
i have seen a few older posts discussing lack of airflow to the third row seats. They seem to be '13 to early '14 posts and there was some indication the issue was being resolved. Anyone have recent experience with third row cooling they could share?
Thanks

My is on order with the third row, so no real world experience here. I've read that Tesla recommends running outside air (vs re-circulation) for the AC to help comfort in the third row. As I said, I can't verify whether that makes a big difference or not. I would be interested to hear from others with real world experience.

Hi all
i have seen a few older posts discussing lack of airflow to the third row seats. They seem to be '13 to early '14 posts and there was some indication the issue was being resolved. Anyone have recent experience with third row cooling they could share?
Thanks

My 2015 S85 has third row seats where my twin boys (7) sit. It DOES get hot in there despite no recirc. They start complaining after about 30mins. With spring temps, Ive been opening back windows which helps, but my 9 yo girl hates. Can't win. Trying to decide now between trunk window tint vs tesla sunshade. Anyone here with input on Tesla's rear window sunshade?

Hi all
Thanks
"resolved" is a strong word, but you probably haven't seen many new posts on the issue simply because the nature of the problem hasn't really changed. I will put in my vote for the Tesla sunshade, especially since we're both in Northern IL, it's nice to have an option that's easily removable for those winter months when having a little extra sun isn't a bad thing.

+1 lots of good discussion there.

Rear sunshade in combination with ceramic window tint on the back window is the best passive heat protection I've seen so far (sunshade only just doesn't cut it). You still need to keep the AC on per Teslas instructions but this is the only way I've seen to keep up with the heat on jaunts lasting a couple hours or more. The ceramic tint blocks something like 90% of the UV heat rays IIRC.

For rapid cooling when you first get in, we do what is called "explosive decompression". Get the car up to speed, open only the rear windows and sunroof about halfway and it creates a writhing mass of turbulent air in the very back. It helps if everyone starts yelling at the same time.

real world:

I am not sure this is fixable without re-working the AC system. I know that here, in the Texas heat, there was NOTHING I could do to get the 4 and 7 year old happy in the summer. I tried the following:

(1) recirc
(2) Tinted the rear window
(3) full power AC
(4) I even created a ventilation system prototype (essentially a conduit using dryer ducting and two boxes - one sealed around the rear seat AC and one sat between the headrests with vents pointing towards the kids) and it only worked when you went from garage to garage ... it never cooled, but prevented it from heating up (if that makes sense).

https://plus.google.com/photos/113907082972403503244/albums/5876021229110913745

(sure - it is very rough, but it was a prototype that, had it worked, I would have created a more permanent device)

It may work in Ohio, but not so much in Tejas. I like the rapid explosive decompression technique. I do that when the kids argue. It is amazing how any paper not held down acts to quell such situations.

real world:

I am not sure this is fixable without re-working the ac system. I know that here, in the texas heat, there was nothing i could do to get the 4 and 7 year old happy in the summer. I tried the following:

(1) recirc
(2) tinted the rear window
(3) full power ac
(4) i even created a ventilation system prototype (essentially a conduit using dryer ducting and two boxes - one sealed around the rear seat ac and one sat between the headrests with vents pointing towards the kids) and it only worked when you went from garage to garage ... It never cooled, but prevented it from heating up (if that makes sense).

https://plus.google.com/photos/113907082972403503244/albums/5876021229110913745

(sure - it is very rough, but it was a prototype that, had it worked, i would have created a more permanent device)

it may work in ohio, but not so much in tejas. I like the rapid explosive decompression technique. I do that when the kids argue. It is amazing how any paper not held down acts to quell such situations.

you have to do the yelling at the same time for full cooling effect.

My 2015 S85 has third row seats where my twin boys (7) sit. It DOES get hot in there despite no recirc. They start complaining after about 30mins. With spring temps, Ive been opening back windows which helps, but my 9 yo girl hates. Can't win. Trying to decide now between trunk window tint vs tesla sunshade. Anyone here with input on Tesla's rear window sunshade?

IMO the sun shed int worth the $90. If I was doing it over again if have just tinted h windows and not just the back but them all. I can't remember the name on mine but it cuts the interior heat by 40%. I also keep the sunshade in the cr but am hoping not to he it this year.