Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Drive: New Transmission

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Martin

Tesla Founder
Aug 17, 2007
I just took EP5 out for a drive with the new electro-hydraulic 2-speed transmission. Traction control was off. *Nice.* Freaking fast - I got the thing very sideways as I blew out of the driveway, and left rubber all the way down Varian Street. We've got work to do, but it rocks. And you guys will love the sound of the transmission as it shifts.

EP5 is the Yellow one that underwent extensive durability testing, right?

7d1187407370-first-drive-new-transmission-variance.jpg

Attachments

• variance.JPG
    variance.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 119
Drool, dribble etc

I just took EP5 out for a drive with the new electro-hydraulic 2-speed transmission. Freaking fast.

Was the Freaking Fast bit simply due to Traction Control being off, or have you tweaked gear ratios in the new design? Alternatively, has a stronger and more durable gearbox allowed you to reprogram the PEM to adjust the Torque curve?

Good to know that sound is a key consideration.

Last edited:
I just took EP5 out for a drive with the new electro-hydraulic 2-speed transmission. Traction control was off. *Nice.* Freaking fast - I got the thing very sideways as I blew out of the driveway, and left rubber all the way down Varian Street. We've got work to do, but it rocks. And you guys will love the sound of the transmission as it shifts.

This is the kind of news I like to hear.

From what I've observed, it seems like everyone at Tesla got driving tips from the Lotus guys, who are known for exhibiting their own "flair" on the test track -- sideways is their favorite direction.

I wonder if I'll need to back off the "gas" for a moment when shifting, or does the computer handle all that?