Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WSJ.com - Tesla Model S: The Future Is Here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the "gear head" comment. I've found that "car guys/girls" get it. It truly is not gender biased in any way. And the younger generation is something else I find interesting. They veritably drool over the car. Interestingly enough, the "ricers" get it too. I wish I had a dime for the number of times I looked in the rear view mirror and say the backside of an iPhone aimed directly at the back of Sparky!

I think it's a nicely written article, with a nice touch of humor. But it does raise a valid point about how the next generation will look at the automobile.

I have a 2 year old niece and I am completely convinced that she will grow up to a world where the normal car is a BEV or maybe a PH-EV. Ice cars for her will be a relic of the past consigned to car clubs and Sundays.

With autonomous driving evolving she may never need to own a car, but she will simply call for a "transport-pod" when she needs it.

But everyone I know in my own generation gets that starry-eyed look when the talk turns to the Model S. And these are regular non gearhead people that don't buy expensive cars. At least in my circle of friends the Tesla is the ultimate car to get.

Some commenters dissed the styling as Lexus boring, but in my opinion it's classic and timeless. Yes it will look dated in 10 years, but still elegant.

BTW? Is it just me or are some of the comments just dripping acid-laced FUD? Agreed that not everyone is an expert on EV's but the level of ignorance is just shocking.

Last edited:
I read the article this morning - not online but on this physical material. The words smell like they were pressed into the material using a liquid of some sort. Anyway...
It was a well written article, with bouts of humor throw in. It was, for a change, accurate as best as I could see.

Just read the comments. Absolutely largely ignorant. Did I "drink the koolaid"... Sure! Is the Tesla for everyone... No!

If you look at technology development, America is somewhat "sleepy" in relation to foreign technology development. Tesla is really one of the most recent American technological developments. If you want a really good front load washer, buy a LG. If you want a really good refrigerator, buy a Samsung (or an LG). What's the iPhone competitor, Samsung. 4K TV, guess where? I'm sure TV talent is going to hate that invention. Every misplaced hair or wrinkle... Now I'm not bashing American or foreign cars by any stretch of the imagination. We make one hell of a truck. Cadillac still is considered to be a great car. Lincoln has found itself again.

The long and short of it is, they are taking a relatively simplistic piece of machinery overall and showing the world it CAN be done. What I find profoundly interesting is that now car manufacturers are chasing Tesla (not the other way around). Also, I believe we as owners can all agree that Nissan, Chevy, Toyota, and so on have their hands outstretched waiting for the subsidies as well. Regarding American ingenuity, what we do, we do well! Microsoft runs a vast majority of the world's PC's and servers. IBM still holds more patents than you can shake a stick at and is still building mainframes (remember those) based upon technology created in the 50's. Apple still makes quality hardware as well.

Elon said it best... You have to try even if you fail! It seems odd that Americans would bash their own innovation... Okay, rant over!

On the coolness front.... I just picked up my P85D (need all wheel in New England). Seems to have a better ride. Or is just me? TACC terrifies that crap out of me occasionally, however, I'm getting used to it. Did I say I love the car?!?

I read the article this morning - not online but on this physical material. The words smell like they were pressed into the material using a liquid of some sort. Anyway...
It was a well written article, with bouts of humor throw in. It was, for a change, accurate as best as I could see.
What's the date on that one? Thanks.

It is always shocking to read the WSJ comments on articles that mention Tesla. I can't imagine the hatred some have for this company and we are talking about an American car company innovating in America and creating American jobs. I don't know what hell hole some of the WSJ commentators come from to show such disdain for tesla.

They must live very miserable and angry lives. It's like whenever Tesla is mentioned on the WSJ a link to it gets posted on some hate rag and they all descend like vultures to share their idiotic ignorance.

It's not a WSJ thing, nor a Tesla thing. Go to any website and the comment section is filled with brief, ignorant potshots. Comment sections are now useless other than for entertainment ... if you can stomach them. It's one reason I have such a high regard for this site. Things rarely get out of hand and the level of conversation tends to be pretty high.

Krugerrand, the ignore feature works great. It's really too bad what's happened to the forum lately. Certain threads get hijacked making it difficult to discuss the issue raised. To deal with this, it may be best to stop quoting and responding, and just ignore.

Ironically, I feel the same way - some threads where real issues have been attempted to discuss, have been hijacked by either too defensive comments on Tesla or off-topic derailing by people not interested in discussing the actual topic (say, Model X mules), who may even prefer we didn't discuss mules at all for fear of hurting Tesla.

I would say the above has been going on in more threads than the two or three where the topic of TMC culture has been discussed. In reverse, your suggestion of ignoring certain people on, say, Model X mule threads would probably be solid advice. I think I will go down Krugerrand's path, though, and use my mental ignore as applicable. :)

In any case, it wasn't my intent to derail this thread. Apologies for that - will try harder. I merely wanted to back up MsElectric's opinion with mine.

Some people live just to stir the pot, and raise the blood pressure of others. It frustrates me too when certain people constantly take shots at the people who volunteer their time to run this place, rather than show even an ounce of appreciation, but you just can't reason with those types of people. It's probably best to just ignore them.

That is definitely not my intent. I think TMC is a worthy forum on a worthy mission. I, too, have felt pot shots at my attempts to volunteer time and energy here - perhaps by the very same people you defend with that comment. I think that in the Model X sub-forum I've provided some value to TMC, but it certainly doesn't always feel appreciated. ;) I get it isn't always nice, but some of that discussion may be for the overall good of the place - including criticism of various activities, including my own of course. A healthy community is able to look at itself critically too and evolve.

Sorry and back to WSJ. :)

Holy hell. Can we get back on topic and not reply to these random posts about ranking and culture? Have those discussions in posts titled "TMC culture, TMC censorship, or something similar."

I thought the article was great and always expect to see government funded arguments in comments. People don't seem to have a problem with military protection, medicare benefits, social security payments, interstates existing, housing bailouts, or GM/Chrysler bailouts. But one tiny company gets a loan to change the world, pays it off early, and that company is the devil. Standard sheep mentality.

Holy hell. Can we get back on topic and not reply to these random posts about ranking and culture? Have those discussions in posts titled "TMC culture, TMC censorship, or something similar."

I thought the article was great and always expect to see government funded arguments in comments. People don't seem to have a problem with military protection, medicare benefits, social security payments, interstates existing, housing bailouts, or GM/Chrysler bailouts. But one tiny company gets a loan to change the world, pays it off early, and that company is the devil. Standard sheep mentality.

I second this...

I just posted a lengthy remark on what prompted me to make the comment I made on the separate thread that was created and referenced above...

Back to the topic on hand. I wonder if some on the WSJ article discussion threads are being posted on a separate Web site or blog somewhere frequented by "crazies" and they all then go to the forum to post hateful and ignorant information about Tesla. I must be posted over a dozen posts on the WSJ forum just to provide some balance on all the misinformation and anger against Tesla but it seemed I was outnumbered 1:10. The general WSJ audience can't be this looney so these people must be coming from somewhere else.

I must be posted over a dozen posts on the WSJ forum just to provide some balance on all the misinformation and anger against Tesla but it seemed I was outnumbered 1:10. The general WSJ audience can't be this looney so these people must be coming from somewhere else.

Since the WSJ website is behind a paywall, I believe you have to be a paid WSJ site subscriber to make comments. If the vast majority of comments on the Tesla piece are "looney", then perhaps that is the nature of the WSJ audience...