Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip - Need Assistance - L.A. to Palo Alto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a road trip from Long Beach to Palo Alto in mid-summer - leaving LB on pre-dawn on a Thursday and returning the following Monday. The route I want to take would be 101N to San Luis Obispo then HWY 1 to Salinas then up to Palo Alto. I've looked at Plug Share and after getting over the shock of how many charging stations there are I think I found what I wanted but would like confirmation/assistance from experienced road trip drivers. To start with I do NOT have a SR (Model S to Roadster adapter) because the 3 samples Henry sent me don't work.:cursing: so that cuts out all the MS charger plug locations. I found two Rabobank locations that reportedly have 70amp J plugs ( I do have the JR adapter) - one in Goleta and another in Salinas. I also found a 70amp J plug at a Dentist's office in SLO. Even though I should be able to make it from LB to SLO (198 miles) without charging, I thought a fill-up in Goleta would be a good idea, then recharge in SLO before the 170 miles to Salinas.

Realistically, what is the feasibility of charging on at least two occasions at the Palo Alto Tesla store? I would rather not be a pain-in-the-&%*!

What I'm looking for in suggestions:

1. A reliable back-up for the SLO charge (I will have my UMC so 50amp is acceptable)
2. A reliable back-up for the Salinas charge
3. A motel that has charging in Palo Alto - I'm trying to avoid the $350/per night at the Westin.
4. Any other comments

Thanks,
Don

In SLO, Dr. Marcum's (he's "Lloyd" here in TMC) office is our always-reliable recharge spot between the Bay Area and Santa Barbara. During office hours you can ask at the receptionist for the RFID card to charge for free, otherwise use a credit card ($15 if you need a full charge). There is also a 70A Clipper Creek EVSE in the Marsh Street garage, but it is more likely to have some less-capable EV sipping electrons.

We always stop in Salinas as well. Only once was it busy, and that was when other Roadsters that we know were going to the same Monterey-area event that we were.

Atascadero does not help for Tesla 940's proposed trip because it is north of the fork to Hwy 1. It is a nice location, but the Roadster charger was converted to J1772 and is often occupied by locals with Leafs, Fiats and Volts that are underutilizing the charger.

Have you read through this thread yet? :
San Francisco -- LA trip

Rabobank Goleta tends to be a good stop.
You could stop at the Carmel Valley Ranch lodge for a bit of juice on your way to Salinas.
There is only one HPC at each location, so cross your fingers that someone else isn't already parked there. Best be prepared to wait or have a plan B in those cases.

The Marsh garage in SLO has a 70A charger (make sure you get the right one!) and theatres/restaurants are across the street so that's a good stopping point. The Rabobank in Atastadero has a similar setup, movie theatre/restaurants just across the street.
I can usually make it from San Jose to SLO on a range charge so if Salinas is occupied, you can get plenty of charge point stations in Los Gatos/Campbell/SJ, etc. and charge enough to get to Palo Alto.

Or alternatively, you could take highway 1 up to Santa Cruz and use the 70A charger there.

Good luck!

I can usually make it from San Jose to SLO on a range charge so if Salinas is occupied, you can get plenty of charge point stations in Los Gatos/Campbell/SJ, etc. and charge enough to get to Palo Alto.

In my experience, it takes more charge to go from SLO to Salinas than in the other direction. I believe the cause may be headwind.

Don, I hopefully have some answers for you for the Palo Alto part of your journey.

At the Palo Alto store/service center, they don't have any Roadster chargers, but they do have quite a number of NEMA 14-50 plugs on the roof parking garage. I'm sure they would gladly let you use those, possibly even overnight. That said, they lock up the garage after business hours, which blocks the exit, so your car is locked in there overnight. There are a number of hotels along El Camino within a couple of blocks either direction from the store with "The Zen Hotel" being the closest in proximity.

If you are looking for 70a Roadster charging in Palo Alto, go to Tesla HQ just a few miles west from the store. There are 3 Roadster HPWC's there. They are generally available after business hours or on weekends. During the week during business hours- good luck. I used to work there and it was hard to get one of the 3 if you showed up any time after 8am.

I hope this helps. Feel free to respond with any further questions/assistance.

Cheers,

Wade