Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D smoother, less front motor whine after 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My noise level has also been very low from the start, much lower than when I took my test drive. On the test drive I was worried. That said, I do remember some early deliveries complaining about the car being a bit loud. My delivery was in late February.

That's unfortunate. Do you find it annoying? Really just curious. I hear almost nothing from the rear on my P85+. I hope they can fix it for you.
Yes, I find it distracting and annoying.
My car has spent so much time at the SC when I first got it, I really don't feel like taking it back.
I also have a super annoying "clicking" noise that seems to come from somewhere behind me. My kids think it might be my seat. Happens when there's a bump in the road which means in Oregon basically constantly.
Sounds just like when you have a glitch on a CD if you know what I mean. A sharp, metallic CLICK

Boy. I'm sorry to hear that you have so many issues. That just plain stinks. I did have a very annoying creaking sound from my seat. Not a clicking. And they fixed it saying that the seat bolts were not torqued to the right specs. Hopefully that would be an easy fix. RE the other problems, I hope you have raised holy hell with corporate over them. I just can't imagine dropping practically 200 grand on Tesla products and not having your problems fixed lickity split.

Good luck.

Yes, I find it distracting and annoying.
My car has spent so much time at the SC when I first got it, I really don't feel like taking it back.
I also have a super annoying "clicking" noise that seems to come from somewhere behind me. My kids think it might be my seat. Happens when there's a bump in the road which means in Oregon basically constantly.
Sounds just like when you have a glitch on a CD if you know what I mean. A sharp, metallic CLICK

Boy. I'm sorry to hear that you have so many issues. That just plain stinks. I did have a very annoying creaking sound from my seat. Not a clicking. And they fixed it saying that the seat bolts were not torqued to the right specs. Hopefully that would be an easy fix. RE the other problems, I hope you have raised holy hell with corporate over them. I just can't imagine dropping practically 200 grand on Tesla products and not having your problems fixed lickity split.

Good luck.

Also if I was him I'd demand $30.000 in liquid damages if it didn't happen LICKETY SPLIT.

Appreciate the sentiment, but that doesn't appear to be how it works. And at this point I'm tired of not having my car. They never got the creaking noises in my 60 fixed (and they tried three times) so at this stage my sentiment is much more "whatever". The car is amazing, it's fun to drive. It's not as quiet as I would like it to be but so what. #firstworldproblems.
I'll add it to the list when there is some other reason to take it in.

I have the clicking too, but haven't found others with it before this post. My car is going in for service next month (soonest available) and they say they'll try to figure it out. Shrug.

I'd love to hear what they say. Would you mind following up after you get the service report?
I'm still at the SC, but they found the source of the problem pretty quickly. The framing under the driver's seat needed some repositioning and tightening. They seemed to feel this had come up in a few other early examples of the next gen seats, so perhaps yours is the same.

It may be your seat, but maybe it's this problem:

P85D shock issue (air suspension)

When it was colder, I had a tinny/scraping noise coming from the front motor under load, especially when going uphill and faster than 65 mph.
Took it to the SC, but couldn't recreate the problem. It hasn't returned, but might come next winter.

I'm still at the SC, but they found the source of the problem pretty quickly. The framing under the driver's seat needed some repositioning and tightening. They seemed to feel this had come up in a few other early examples of the next gen seats, so perhaps yours is the same.

Turns out they couldn't solve it at the SC, but have ordered me a replacement lower drivers seat. So the clicking remains, for now.