Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEY TESLA -- Safety feature request - ADD THIS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gear change audible beep!

Let me explain. .on many occasions, I am in reverse, backing out of my drive way, then shift into drive, (but the car is still in reverse -- probably because I am still going 1 or 2 mph), so when I accelerateI am stil in reverse. Nearly crashed a couple of times.
I know I should look down, but the reality is i rarely visually confirm what gear i am in when 3-point parking or doing daily maneuvers like backing out of my driveway. A slight audible alert notifying that the gear has shifted would be helpful (and prevent me from accidentally backing into or driving over something/someone).

Am I the only one who has done this or is this an option you would want (ideally we could choose in the settings if there is an audible gear shift alert -- similar to mirror tilt, or lights on after departure, etc..)

Definitely would be a nice feature. A light chime or beep would suffice. When I'm going from D to R I look at the backup camera for the backup lines to pop up to notify me of being in R because thats where I focus the first few seconds while backing up.

I think the basic idea is good, but I wouldn't want a beep that sounds every time I successfully switched to D. That would be annoying. I would rather have a warning beep (maybe three quick beeps or something) when the car notices that I tried to switch gears but it prevented it for whatever reason.

I think the basic idea is good, but I wouldn't want a beep that sounds every time I successfully switched to D. That would be annoying. I would rather have a warning beep (maybe three quick beeps or something) when the car notices that I tried to switch gears but it prevented it for whatever reason.

+1

I don't want a beep every time either.

+1 configurable option should make everyone happy.

Yes. The more customization/options, the better. Not to hijack the thread but some type of audible warning that the hatch is open when you put the car into reverse (beyond the yellow warning on the dash) would also be a nice configurable option. :wink:

Let me explain. .on many occasions, I am in reverse, backing out of my drive way, then shift into drive, (but the car is still in reverse -- probably because I am still going 1 or 2 mph)

Are you saying that the car does not change from Reverse to Drive and vice versa unless you come to a complete stop during the transition? That would seem to invite accidents. I'm used to driving a manual transmission and I often switch from reverse to first gear while still moving backwards.

when i am in reverse and backing up.. then take my foot off of accelerator.. i am still rolling backwards, and then i put it in drive (nearly simultaneously as i am coming to a complete stop), then accelerate..only to realize i am still in reverse. does that make sense?

that is why i want a chime when i shift... so i can audibly hear that i shifted gears..i dont look down sometimes which causes risk.

- - - Updated - - -

to clarify for those of you confused:

NO beeping while backing up (like a garbage truck or something)
YES one small chime (inside the cabin) when I shift from reverse to drive

when i am in reverse and backing up.. then take my foot off of accelerator.. i am still rolling backwards, and then i put it in drive (nearly simultaneously as i am coming to a complete stop), then accelerate..only to realize i am still in reverse. does that make sense?

We all switch back and forth but I have never, not a single time had the car not switch. You definitely have to have the foot on the brake for the car to even consider switching to reverse or back to D. And you probably have to be below a certain speed. Both make perfect sense. I had several occasions where I was able to switch before a complete stop because I was able to accelerate forward while the car was still rolling backwards. So the threshold isn't zero.

Are you saying that the car does not change from Reverse to Drive and vice versa unless you come to a complete stop during the transition? That would seem to invite accidents. I'm used to driving a manual transmission and I often switch from reverse to first gear while still moving backwards.
But when you do the switch on a manual transmission I am guessing that the clutch pedal is fully depressed. That is quite different from the Tesla where you are trying to switch without a clutch. DO you switch from R to 1 on a manual without using the clutch?

But when you do the switch on a manual transmission I am guessing that the clutch pedal is fully depressed. That is quite different from the Tesla where you are trying to switch without a clutch. DO you switch from R to 1 on a manual without using the clutch?

That's correct. I depress the clutch, shift to first, and then let the clutch out a little more slowly than normal to transition from moving backwards to forwards. I suppose in an automatic (been a while since I've driven one) I'd have my foot on the brake when shifting from R to D, but I can't say that I've always been at a full stop when switching, though maybe that has been the case.