Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My week old S 85D dead day after 6.2 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I updated to 6.2 on Tuesday and on Wednesday afternoon after driving about 50 miles I get this message: "Car Needs Service Car May Not Restart". I called up Tesla Road Side and the sent a town truck to meet me at my office and take my car 350miles to Denver for service.

I had been planing a trip to Denver this weekend so the got be a rental car and I get to pick my car as long as it isn't too big a problem. They said it's an issue with the battery pack and then needed a lift work on it or they would have sent a ranger. They said it most likely wasn't software related and they hadn't had any reported issues yet.

Tesla is being super helpful and are paying for everything, it's my wife's biggest fear that it would just stop working and we would be stuck with no one around that knows about the car to help. Pretty happy that they might be able to get me my car fixed faster then a local shop with an ICE car. Not so happy that the car died on me after 1000 miles.

Any reports of this happening after a software update? Tesla claims maintenance only once a year, what is the real world experience in having to have warranty repairs done?
IMG_1310.jpg

Be thankful you have a Tesla. No other EV manufacturer has soo many safeguards that protect the battery and car. I suspect that you have a issue similar to what we had. We still don't exactly know what happened but one day after work the car gave all sorts of error alerts and refused to start. Minneapolis took our old battery out, sent it to Freemont while giving us a loaner battery pack with the car. We're supposed to get ours back next week but honestly we see no difference as the car works just like it would with our pack. They're even able to give us a loaner while they swap ours out. Mind you we live by Omaha so I'm happy with our Tesla and very glad they put soo many sensitive safegaurds in it unlike our leaf which just loses capacity much quicker than ththe Tesla has.

Last edited:
This is all fine and dandy until this kind of stuff happens after the warranty expires.

I'm not worried 8 year unlimited mile warranty. So the amount we drive we will have about 320,000 miles on it by then so I think even if at 8 years and 1 day it goes out we will have gotten our money's worth. Besides that the cost of a new battery will be minimal compared to the current cost.

Kind of like all the things that run out of warranty on an ICE?

Lexus SC400 334K miles. Never had a single thing go wrong with it. Not even a little thing... EVER.

2009 Prius. 200K miles on it. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it. Not even a little thing...EVER.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not worried 8 year unlimited mile warranty. So the amount we drive we will have about 320,000 miles on it by then so I think even if at 8 years and 1 day it goes out we will have gotten our money's worth. Besides that the cost of a new battery will be minimal compared to the current cost.

There's a tons of stuff that can break that has nothing to do with the battery or drive unit.

Lexus SC400 334K miles. Never had a single thing go wrong with it. Not even a little thing... EVER.

2009 Prius. 200K miles on it. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it. Not even a little thing...EVER.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a tons of stuff that can break that has nothing to do with the battery or drive unit.

This is what we refer to as an anecdote. Statistically there's a decent chance that, with that many miles, something will go wrong. But sometimes people are really lucky and nothing goes wrong. By no means should such an anecdote be used to make decisions.

My Lexus GS400 with 171k miles had a master cylinder fail, a seal on the transmission fail (seal was $50 but fixing it necessitated removing the engine and transmission so cost over $2k), and a handful of other minor problems. I still thought it was a remarkably reliable car. I don't think that Lexus or Toyota are good examples of the normal for reliability of cars out there.

To the OP, good luck with your car. My experience with Tesla Service is that they are the best. Things go wrong with all cars (electric or ICE) but at least you're in good hands.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I have an old Land Cruiser with 230k and it's been pretty freaking reliable. Toyota's are great that way. Long term though EVs are "simpler" so I think Teslas will continue to get more and more reliable as Tesla produces more cars.

Bottom line is I have a good feeling that Tesla will be taking care of owners long long term - Warranty or out-of-warranty. Elon has something to prove and he's not running car service like a typical mfg or dealer.

Last edited:

" Toyota is recalling around 1.9 million hybrid Prius cars around the world following the discovery of faulty software in the car's hybrid-control system.
The affected vehicles were manufactured between March 2009 and February 2014.
Toyota said that 997,000 Prius cars in Japan, some 713,000 in North America, another 130,000 in Europe and the rest in other regions are being recalled.
Toyota says of the software defect: "In rare circumstances, the hybrid system might shut down while the vehicle is being driven, resulting in the loss of power and the vehicle coming to a stop." " [My Emphasis.]

Toyota recalling 1.9 million Prius cars

"There are several problems to be aware of.
1) Lower control arm bushings, check for play, replace with Daizan bushings from TM Engineering or replace with Supra 94-98. Bolt on.
2) Lower ball joints, see if boots are busted
3) Power steering leaking under tank or main hose, will cause alternator to go out
4) Cracks on the radiator overflow tank
5) Cabin vents crack from temperature change, hot and cold
6) Blacked out LCD on your climate control, can change for aftermarket one on Ebay for 125
7) Needles and back lighting goes out. Contact Lextech.comor Lexls.comfor a DIY
8) Door hinge sag
9) Craks on upper door panel where you arm normally rest while driving
10) Window regualtors break, can be fixed easily
I'm sure they are more but these are the most common ones. Make sure you do the maintenance, timing belt, plugs, water pump, etc."

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/66631-lexus-sc400-common-problems/

Last edited:
My Lexus GS400 with 171k miles had a master cylinder fail, a seal on the transmission fail (seal was $50 but fixing it necessitated removing the engine and transmission so cost over $2k), and a handful of other minor problems. I still thought it was a remarkably reliable car. I don't think that Lexus or Toyota are good examples of the normal for reliability of cars out there.

Pile on - I had a Lexus GS450h. It perpetually had something wrong with it. Dead hybrid battery (check); door lock actuators replaced multiple times on every door (check); irritating and endless visits to the service center (check). On the other hand, Lexus corporate covered a lot of issues even when the car was out of warranty and the dealer service center was open 7 days a week from about 5:30 AM to 11:00 PM.

I'm hopeful Tesla will really take care of the Model S owners in the long run, but obviously it's too early to tell.

Got my car back last night, it turns out it was a loose connection on the front drive unit. Tesla might have not had it fully secured from the factory. They said they worked on it for 24 hours just to check out every part of the car, reload the firmware and looks like the test droved it quite a bit about 50 miles or so.

I've bought brand new a Camry Hybrid, Prius and a Volt. All of them had to go to the shop for a day or two for some recall or issue within the first few months. Not very many S85D's out yet so this might be an issue they need to work on at the factory with pushing out record number of cars.

- - - Updated - - -

wcfinvader, Now that I know the power to the front drive had gone out, I'm pretty impressed that I was able to drive it 20 more miles to my office before shutting down.
Thats good to know they can do loaner battery packs if needed. Never had my Volt outright fail on me and not start in the 100,000 miles I have on it. There were quite a few voluntary recalls and the ICE started smoking after an oil change when they spill oil on the motor once.

Be thankful you have a Tesla. No other EV manufacturer has soo many safeguards that protect the battery and car. I suspect that you have a issue similar to what we had. We still don't exactly know what happened but one day after work the car gave all sorts of error alerts and refused to start. Minneapolis took our old battery out, sent it to Freemont while giving us a loaner battery pack with the car. We're supposed to get ours back next week but honestly we see no difference as the car works just like it would with our pack. They're even able to give us a loaner while they swap ours out. Mind you we live by Omaha so I'm happy with our Tesla and very glad they put soo many sensitive safegaurds in it unlike our leaf which just loses capacity much quicker than ththe Tesla has.

Yeah, it didn't sound like the firmware update was the cause. Remember, if it was something in the software, that's something that can be fixed OTA and they wouldn't have had you bring the car all the way to the SvC.

Also, failed pack contactors would have exhibited other messages as well. On your model, this isn't really a concern because they use a more robust manufacturer.

This is what we refer to as an anecdote. Statistically there's a decent chance that, with that many miles, something will go wrong. But sometimes people are really lucky and nothing goes wrong. By no means should such an anecdote be used to make decisions.

I just won the lottery. $80 million before tax. I just bought 27 million more $2 tickets, because I'm lucky and obviously will win again. Something has happened to every vehicle I have ever owned. So good thing I didn't buy any cars with that money.

On a more serious note, firmware updates have been known to deplete the small 12 V battery and cause problems. New cars have had pack failures in the first day. It'd be hard to know what caused the failure and all of us agree it's frustrating and somewhat embarrassing to have spent so much and immediately have a problem. Try to think past that as you get infinitely better service from Tesla than any Dino dealer would.

So I haven't left colorado yet, and this morning I get an error message that the software needs updated and to contact a service center.
I called up road side and they said it's just a bug in 6.2 and they should be sending out a OTA update to fix in soon and not to worry about it.
Hope that's all it is.