Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Noise and other issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All

Currently at 18K miles. Called service center to check on couple of things but I wanted to ask your opinion as well:

a. Horn all of a sudden sounds weird. Sharp high pitch noise..Does not sound normal at all.

b. Low weird noise: Lately I am hearing a weird buzzing noise when I drive the car at lower speeds (0-40mph) or between 0-20kW energy consumption. The noise is coming from rear and I hear the noise when I press the gas pedal.

The noise disappears when the car goes above 40mph and I am not sure if the road noise is blocking it.

I have searched the forum and all I can come up is the drive unit issues. I did not want to assume drive unit issue right away?

What do you all think ?

Thanks

I've not looked at the Model S horn setup, but in past car's I've owned, there were often two horn elements. One made a high pitched sound while the other made a lower pitch sound and when combined, made the familiar honk noise. If the Model S setup is like this, and one of the horns failed, that might explain it.

The drive train buzz is well known and discussed here in multiple threads.

I've not looked at the Model S horn setup, but in past car's I've owned, there were often two horn elements. One made a high pitched sound while the other made a lower pitch sound and when combined, made the familiar honk noise. If the Model S setup is like this, and one of the horns failed, that might explain it.

The drive train buzz is well known and discussed here in multiple threads.

@mknox: Thanks for your reply.

The horn noise was so embarrassing, I had to honk to warn a car which violated red light and the noise was high pitched noise

I did search the forum and found a video that yobigd20 posted on 9.25.2013. From what I see on that thread...seems like it is a drive inverter issue.

I want to know if service center will be able to fix it right away if they have the part....or is this something they have to order.

I live 2 hrs away from service center and it will be easy if they fix it tomorrow....I don't want to drive one time for diagnosing and other time to fix it.

I have the buzz. My Service Center diagnosed the problem as "cosmetic" meaning that there is no risk of a failure, but they are going to replace my drive unit at some future point when they get the parts in stock. Sometimes, the technicians will audio record the sound and send in to the factory for analysis. Unfortunately, it will likely mean 2 trips for you.

I cannot help you with the horn, but mine made a sound similar to what you are describing. I recorded it here : Dropbox - Tesla Sounds.m4a

I recorded this with the windows down, along a cinderblock wall to reflect the sound back into the car. You hear the sound go off/on based on accelerator position. (load and unload)

Tesla had seen my post that I have long since lost track of, called me the next day because they wanted to hear it. I weny by and the tech decided I should get a new drive unit. The whole procedure was completely uneventful. Easy, and a non issue in every way. I'ts been many months and thousands of miles later with no sounds at all.

Hope this helps!

I have the buzz. My Service Center diagnosed the problem as "cosmetic" meaning that there is no risk of a failure, but they are going to replace my drive unit at some future point when they get the parts in stock. Sometimes, the technicians will audio record the sound and send in to the factory for analysis. Unfortunately, it will likely mean 2 trips for you.

Wow! Same thing here. I have the 10kW power buzz at low speed, the baloon squeal under rapid acceleration and a loud 74-78mph drone. Diagnosis was that it is not normal, but also not critical, and that parts would be ordered for the repair at a later date. And this was the diagnosis just a few days ago (2013 S85 16,000 miles). Sounds like they are working on a solution that doesn't require a full motor/inverter replacement, which may be why we have to wait a bit.

b. Low weird noise: Lately I am hearing a weird buzzing noise when I drive the car at lower speeds (0-40mph) or between 0-20kW energy consumption. The noise is coming from rear and I hear the noise when I press the gas pedal.

The noise disappears when the car goes above 40mph and I am not sure if the road noise is blocking it.

I have searched the forum and all I can come up is the drive unit issues. I did not want to assume drive unit issue right away?

What do you all think ?

Thanks

I also had a buzzing noise coming from the rear at lower speeds of 0-40 mph and under 20 kW energy consumption. The diagnosis was a bad DU.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! Same thing here. I have the 10kW power buzz at low speed, the baloon squeal under rapid acceleration and a loud 74-78mph drone. Diagnosis was that it is not normal, but also not critical, and that parts would be ordered for the repair at a later date. And this was the diagnosis just a few days ago (2013 S85 16,000 miles). Sounds like they are working on a solution that doesn't require a full motor/inverter replacement, which may be why we have to wait a bit.

Drone above 70 MPH: not normal
Buzz at low speed: not normal

Balloon squeal under rapid acceleration: normal

Drone above 70 MPH: not normal
Buzz at low speed: not normal

Balloon squeal under rapid acceleration: normal

Thanks AR! Yes, this is consistent with what the Service Center told me as well. The balloon squeal on mine has clearly changed over the past year (never had it in Year 1, and now progressively getting louder in Year 2). And don't think my foot is any heavier now vs. before. :wink:

The buzzing sound is a well known issue to Tesla. When I first experienced it (9 months ago), the technician drove with me for 20 seconds and knew exactly what it was right away. If you bring it in they will replace the drive unit under warranty. It doesn't seem to be anything you need to worry about. It's 'cosmetic', but it does get louder over time. I had people turn their heads when I drove through a quiet neighborhood.

So took my car to the service center on Friday. Technician recorded the noise and will be sending to engineers in California...most likely drive unit issue

Horn has to be checked...They told me that the front bumper needs to be removed to get physical access to the horn.

Estimated time to check the horn is 1.5-2.0 hrs

I just had my 38k service (at 40k). I too have the noise issue and this is what i was told...

Capture.PNG