Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things to watch out for taking an inventory car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my very first post to TMC, but I have spent the last month reading and reading until I feel somewhat smarter from all you wise Tesla fans. I am planning to get my own S 85D and decided to ask about inventory cars that match my top requirements (which are tech package with autopilot, pano roof and AWD). My local Tesla team found one with 413 miles that matches all those and which has some other things I want and only one I don't care about (sub zero weather package - I live in Houston!). This care is $6000 less than its factory list.

Is there anything special I should ask before going for it? I want to make absolutely sure I get a 2015 with all the current hardware that exists to enable autopilot features as they come down the road with software upgrades. I think if it's quoted as a dual motor with autopilot that must be the case, right?

Here are the full specs:

P73158
List Price
Discounts
Purchase price
Odometer

• 85 kWh Battery
  • Autopilot
  • Dual Drive Motor
  • Black Solid Paint
  • All Glass Panoramic Roof
  • 19" Wheels
  • Grey Nappa Leather Seats
  • Obeche Wood Gloss Décor
  • Tech Package
  • Smart Suspension
  • Fog Lamps
  • Black Alcantara Headliner
  • Subzero Weather Package
  • Includes heated steering wheel
  • Parcel Shelf
  • 19" Michelin Primacy Tire Upgrade
  • Dual Chargers

Thanks in advance for your advice!

You'll know it has the tech package the moment you get inside, because the 17" display will have things like HomeLink and driver profiles. You can also tell by chrome accents on the front of the car. AutoPilot can be discerned by looking for the front camera and radar sensor, easy to spot. But all in all I'm sure what they quote you is indeed what you'll get. Sounds like a good deal, similar price to the 85D that I just got, and quite similar a discount too. Sounds like a good buy, go for it! :)

Congrats! The best thing to remember is that there's very little pressure on you to find every little flaw at delivery time. Tesla will absolutely bend over backwards to correct any error or omission that you find, even long after delivery.

The only possible exception is body damage. If you discover a scrape or ding or dent that happened during transit, it's much better if you discover it before you drive away. That way, there's no uncertainty on anyone's part about whether the damage occurred prior to your acceptance. I've read reports here that buyers discovered transit damage a day or two after delivery and even though Tesla finally fixed it, the approval process took a little longer and had to be escalated higher up the Tesla food chain before the repair could be authorized.

Last edited:
This is my very first post to TMC, but I have spent the last month reading and reading until I feel somewhat smarter from all you wise Tesla fans. I am planning to get my own S 85D and decided to ask about inventory cars that match my top requirements (which are tech package with autopilot, pano roof and AWD). My local Tesla team found one with 413 miles that matches all those and which has some other things I want and only one I don't care about (sub zero weather package - I live in Houston!). This care is $6000 less than its factory list.

Is there anything special I should ask before going for it? I want to make absolutely sure I get a 2015 with all the current hardware that exists to enable autopilot features as they come down the road with software upgrades. I think if it's quoted as a dual motor with autopilot that must be the case, right?
Welcome to the forum.
You are lucky to find an 85D in the inventory! Those have just started shipping about a month ago. The good news is that all of them have the latest equipment, autopilot hardware, etc.
Enjoy your new car. You'll love it.

Only downside to taking an inventory non p is that they mostly don't have the next gen seats. For those have to get inventory p or regular order. If base seats are preferred, that's a great deal.

Congrats! I got one too..
2015 85D was supposed to be a demo but I snagged it while it was still on the truck, Mine had 50 Miles :) it was brand new

My discount was $5619, sticker price $112,370 so $106,751.00

It took a 3 weeks for me to find the perfect car, was worth the wait.
I almost went for a P85D, the discounts were big on them but they were all 2014's and all had some wear and tear I couldnt deal with.

85 kWh Model S $79,900.00
Dual Motor All Wheel Drive $5,000.00
Pearl White Paint $1,500.00
All Glass Panoramic Roof $2,500.00
19" Silver Cyclone Wheels $2,500.00
Black Nappa Leather Seats $1,500.00
Carbon Fiber Décor $800.00
Black Alcantara Headliner $1,500.00
Supercharger Enabled
Dual Chargers $1,500.00
Tech Package with Autopilot $4,250.00
Smart Air Suspension $2,250.00
Premium Interior Package $3,500.00
Ultra High Fidelity Sound $2,500.00
Subzero Weather Package -
Executive 2nd row $2,000.00
Subtotal $111,200.00
Destination and regulatory documentation fee $1,170.00
Total $112,370.00

Look them deep in the eyes to see their reaction when you grill them over whether they put any vibration-dampening sawdust in the crankcase before trying to flog it off.

Last edited:
Congrats! I got one too..
2015 85D was supposed to be a demo but I snagged it while it was still on the truck, Mine had 50 Miles :) it was brand new

My discount was $5619, sticker price $112,370 so $106,751.00

It took a 3 weeks for me to find the perfect car, was worth the wait.
I almost went for a P85D, the discounts were big on them but they were all 2014's and all had some wear and tear I couldnt deal with.

85 kWh Model S $79,900.00
Dual Motor All Wheel Drive $5,000.00
Pearl White Paint $1,500.00
All Glass Panoramic Roof $2,500.00
19" Silver Cyclone Wheels $2,500.00
Black Nappa Leather Seats $1,500.00
Carbon Fiber Décor $800.00
Black Alcantara Headliner $1,500.00
Supercharger Enabled
Dual Chargers $1,500.00
Tech Package with Autopilot $4,250.00
Smart Air Suspension $2,250.00
Premium Interior Package $3,500.00
Ultra High Fidelity Sound $2,500.00
Subzero Weather Package -
Executive 2nd row $2,000.00
Subtotal $111,200.00
Destination and regulatory documentation fee $1,170.00
Total $112,370.00

This is the FIRST 85D I've seen with both Sound and Subzero. Can you tell me

1. when you found it?
2. if it was really bound for FL with the subzero package?

Congratulations! It sounds beautiful!!!

Keep looking and asking if you really want an inventory 85D. When I looked in South Florida two weeks ago there were two available, both loaded. I would have taken one myself if there had been a color combination I wanted. Both had almost every option, including cold weather (we really need that in Miami!)

This is the FIRST 85D I've seen with both Sound and Subzero. Can you tell me

1. when you found it?
2. if it was really bound for FL with the subzero package?

Congratulations! It sounds beautiful!!!

Thank you! Yes it was Florida bound, I think that it may have been a order that someone didnt pay for.

None of the cars inventory cars on the list 50-200 miles had a discount, thats why I jumped on the one I got.
I wanted a car with all the options, but the executive seats was one thing I could live without. However after having it a few days I LOVE IT.. makes the interior feel more expensive and its looks amazing.