Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gorilla Glass Good Match for Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple years back Gorilla glass said they were going to go into the auto industry next year and they appeared to have a manufacturer lined up. To my knowledge the only car with gorilla glass right now is the BMW i8. Is it possible that Tesla is the manufacturer they had lined up and the delay with the Model X is why there has been a delay seeing Gorilla glass expand in the auto industry?

I know gorilla glass is much lighter, but how much of an impact would that actually make on range. It would certainly lighten the load of the falcon wing doors. It is more durable. This would give Tesla the ability to make the windshield extend back to the rear doors, with less fear of replacement cost.

I wonder how much of a cost difference there is from traditional glass and if the benefits it provides outweigh the cost.

The gorilla glass is quite more expensive but its properties makes it possibly dangerous if you get trapped in the car. Rescue workers will have problem of breaking the glass as well making it hard to get ppl out quickly. Crash properties are unknown (for me). Maybe a strong glass would break in a way thats possibly dangerous?

Replace a Gorilla glass roof could be quite expensive.. The gorilla glass windshields I've seen has had regular glass outside and gorilla glass on the inside. If a pebble hit it it would crack the outer layer. Replacement would still be needed.

The gorilla glass is quite more expensive but its properties makes it possibly dangerous if you get trapped in the car. Rescue workers will have problem of breaking the glass as well making it hard to get ppl out quickly. Crash properties are unknown (for me). Maybe a strong glass would break in a way thats possibly dangerous?

Replace a Gorilla glass roof could be quite expensive.. The gorilla glass windshields I've seen has had regular glass outside and gorilla glass on the inside. If a pebble hit it it would crack the outer layer. Replacement would still be needed.

I wouldn't worry too much about Gorilla glass hampering rescue efforts. Despite all the marketing hype, the stuff is still glass, and therefore brittle and relatively easy to shatter.

There's been a lot of discussion on glass in various Apple forums, because people want glass that won't scratch and won't shatter. I'm not a chemist, but as best I understand it, making a material harder (and therefore more scratch resistant) can also make it less shatter resistant. For example, the glass back on the iPhone 4/4S would break as easily as the display, but was pretty difficult to scratch. The iPhone 5C plastic exterior will flex rather than shatter, but gets scuffed up more easily.

the gorilla glass is quite flexible making it very impact resistant. Its hard to scratch becuz of the inner tension of the glass. release the tension and the glass breaks very volatile. Looked up some price comparison 1sqm of gorilla would cost about 110$ whilst 30$ for laminated. almost 4 times the price and thats just 4mm think and one layer..