Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hellcat Re-Match Results in beating P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the P85D has met its match, even on launch. This is obviously with a better driver in the Hellcat and proper traction (drag radials-which can be driven on the street).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty surprised to see the Tesla beaten on launch. I would not think there would be enough HP difference to make up for the instantaneous torque (but I am not an expert on this). I'd like to see a re-rematch knowing that the P85D had a full charge, good tires, and a clean start. I suspect the Hellcat would still win in the end, but I don't really believe it would win the launch.

The YouTube description says the fastest time the Hellcat ran was a 10.95 @ 125MPH that day, in Las Vegas heat.

When a car with 707HP that has proper traction runs against the P85D, I am not sure why there is a dispute that it couldn't win. It literally ran a full 1 second quicker and a gigantic 14MPH higher trap speed. The Hellcat is also heavy weighing in at only 500lbs less.

The P85D is rated at almost the same HP. The advantage is obviously crazy AWD traction. If the Hellcat had AWD it would win consistently every time, and also the single gear in the P85D really hurts that top end- thats a huge difference in trap speed for cars very similar in weight and HP.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty surprised to see the Tesla beaten on launch. I would not think there would be enough HP difference to make up for the instantaneous torque (but I am not an expert on this). I'd like to see a re-rematch knowing that the P85D had a full charge, good tires, and a clean start. I suspect the Hellcat would still win in the end, but I don't really believe it would win the launch.

It's 500 lbs lighter and likely puts out more horsepower to the ground. There is speculation that the P85D does not actually produce 691HP. Its not too hard for this result to make sense..

Why?

How many does the Hellcat seat? How practical is it for a daily driver? This is like matching up a Lambo and a Honda Accord... (NOT comparing cars). The Tesla is wicked fast. So Fiat built a cheaper/quicker car... I'm sure that it will last all of 10 minutes... the reliability ratings of Fiat are obviously unmatched...

I just question the comparison of these vehicles. I LOVE my Tesla, and the Fiat is a fine... car? ugly thing...? whatever. anyone can cram 700 HP engine into an obese car... it takes real skill to build a P85D.

I'm fairly certain if Tesla wanted to race, and brought a factory team to the tracks it would destroy anything else out there. Up the motor, lower the gears. Cut the battery pack in 1/2 (weight). Add some capacitors. Strip out the seats, slam it to 1" off the ground. Remove everything not needed to make the car MOVE. a real 1/4 mile version...

I can't remember the last time I saw someone warm up their tires in a cloud of smoke before an impromptu street drag. Not sure how many miles you'd get on those specialty tires either.

The ICE beast is a purpose-built machine. If it didn't win, there should be some heads rolling at Chrysler headquarters!

What would be interesting is putting the two on a track with <gasp> corners...! That's the only test that would really interest me.

That's a pretty damn impressive showing IMO. The cat gets the jumped and that gap just stays constant throught the drag. I can't remember the last time I've seen such a constant gap between cars throughout the drag.

the Hellcats have been breaking driveshafts after adding drag radials as well.... so yes, the Hellcat can win with the right conditions; drag radials, prepped drag strip, low tire pressures, waterbox, burnout to heat the tires and crossing fingers not to break...

tUYEGQ8.jpg

WcrsaVJ.jpg

That's a pretty damn impressive showing IMO. The cat gets the jumped and that gap just stays constant throught the drag. I can't remember the last time I've seen such a constant gap between cars throughout the drag.

..model S vs S :smile:

I agree though, that is a really surprising gap for an ICE. It seems that even most of the more expensive 'supercars' have shifting lag that you can see during races

Last edited:
Any dedicated, souped-up high performance car that in all seriousness gets pitted against a 7 seater family sedan is already a laughing stock, regardless of the outcome of the race.

The Hellcat is not dedicated to anything. It seats 5 people just like the Model S without those weird trunk seats. It drives plenty fine on the street, and even has a power level mode setting, like Sport and Insane mode on the P85D. The Hellcat isn't some drag racing car trailered in to the track, it's just as dedicated of a car as the Tesla is- not sure what your point is. I love my P85D but I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker like quite a few other Tesla owners I've met. Give credit where credit is due. The trap speed speaks volumes and the horsepower of the Hellcat obviously exceeds and beats the P85D. From a roll the P85D would be a spec in the mirror of the Hellcat.

At the end of the day, I'd never want to own the Hellcat and wouldn't ever trade it for the P85D. Because the Tesla is a much better all around car, plain and simple. I'm just a little tired of the people who say it can't beat a Hellcat and compare the P85D to supercars, because it can beat them for a few seconds from a dead stop. It's NOT the fastest sedan in the world. Maybe to 60. The hype is strong and it's getting old.

Fact of the matter the Tesla P85D is the best all around sedan in the world.. And it's not because it's quick to 60.. That's just a tiny reason.

My exact same thoughts. A stock 7 seater family sedan pitted against the slightly modified big bad Hellcat only proves how much ICE technology has to do to catch up to a second generation EV. I wouldn't gloat about it if I was the owner. On the flipside, we should enjoy these precious moments, because we'll see less and less of this in the future.

Whats cool is the same guy who owns the Hellcat in this video, also owns the P85D. The owner was driving the Hellcat, his son was driving the P85D. I assume because the P85D is easy to drive fast and safer for his son to pilot that ride, versus the beastly 'Cat.

In fact, the guy has major respect for the Tesla (I would hope so, considering he owns one!) and gives props to the car. Respect to this guy.

Here is the YouTube description of the race:

"Hellcat beats Tesla P85D at the Mopars At The Strip (MATS) show. Hellcat was running Drag Radials on 91 pump gas and went 10.95 at 125MPH (with me driving and I'm not that good of a driver) during the weekend but we actually got this 11 second run on video. I own both cars and the Hellcat did win 6 out of 6 races only by about a half of a second each time, so this was no fluke video. However, make no mistake THIS TESLA ROCKS YOUR WORLD. Tesla 60 foot times are heart stopping hard pulls. Think about this . . . . the Hellcat (the most powerful muscle car ever made) ran in the 11's on this video just like the Tesla but the Tesla will do that on Any Surface, Any Temperature, Any Altitude, Anywhere, Anytime even on wet pavement. It makes 891 foot pounds of torque and scrambles your brains off the line. The TESLA is a GAME CHANGER for sure !! Both cars are EPIC cars !! So, if you see a Tesla P85D or a Hellcat on the street you better give them Both RESPECT because unless you're driving a $500,000 supercar either one of these cars will most likely take you out !!

Props to Mopar and Tesla on these supercars !!"