Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trolley Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tallinn, Estonia, has a trolleybus network, and Estonia has a well established charging network. There are plans to allow electric cars in public transport lanes, and when doing so they are hoping to take this one step further by allowing charging while driving, using the trolleybus electric overhead wires.

Today I can reveal that I had the opportunity to test the system when I was there. Since the system is 600 V DC it is similar to super chargers and other fast charging systems, and the big advantage is that you don't have to stop for charging. You can't drive faster than 60 km/h (38 mph) while charging, but in the city you're not allowed to go faster anyway.

The hopes are that this pilot program will enable rolling fast chargers, not only for Teslas, around 60 kms apart.

hxYjs6K.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152931636594818&set=a.384918929817.167476.680699817&type=1

Cute, but no need in today's world of 500 km cars with 500 km/hr Superchargers. Just install more superchargers, and offer 600 km cars when the next generation batteries are available.

GSP

No way, not a single reference can be found prior to April 1st (see this 'article' for details), it would be very illegal (safety, theft of services, etc.), no other pics/angles can be found, and carfax doesn't show any hits for that license plate (database isn't accurate, but combined with other facts ...).

No way, not a single reference can be found prior to April 1st (see this 'article' for details), it would be very illegal (safety, theft of services, etc.), no other pics/angles can be found, and carfax doesn't show any hits for that license plate (database isn't accurate, but combined with other facts ...).

Yeah, they just spent a bit more time on the joke. I got to say that bylund's mounting system seems to be a lot more elegant, but the poles seem a bit short to reach the wires.