Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying new S85D or used P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys,

I leave in Switzerland, and here is a question i struggle to answer to.
Few information about what i look for:
- S85/P85 if used - don't really mind, would actually go for a S85 if it was rightly price, but it happens to be way more P85 on sale and consequently at the right price
- S85D if new
- dark colors for outside, and open for the inside
- no specific option required.
- Won't be able to take delivery of the car (or to buy used) before sept, so not in a rush

My dilemma:
- due to the strong swiss franc, Tesla reduced their price by 5% early this year, so i can buy a brand new S85D with the colours i want for 92Kchf
- Online, there are basically only P85 with a fair amount of options that are rightly price. Today, looks like i could get approx 75kchf for the car

The good news is that i have enough cash to pull the trigger on one of the above option, the bad news is that i am rather young (30 yo) and I won't have much spare cash after that! Which means that I am very concerned with the resale value.
Indeed, i feel I would enjoy a P85 or a S85D approximatly the same (one with the autopilot, other one with the torque), and i just want to lose the least possible if i sell it back let's say in 3 years.

So here is the question:
- would i lose more money buying new with the latest tech and selling in 3 years or buy an expensive P85 that already has well depreciated but that hasn't the latest techs onboard.

I know nobody has the right answer to that question, but would be very curious to know your thoughts and recommendation.
Thanks in advance for your help guys, and please continue posting on all the various topics in this forum, it keeps the dream alive...

Maxime

Not sure about the economics of your purchase but as a new 85D owner driving a P85+ loaner, I would get the D every time. Feels as fast and much more stable. I can't stress this enough. It's a bigger difference than I expected. The only case to not go with D besides cost is if frunk space is more important.

85D all the way. Not only do you get a newer car, with potentially better reliability, torque, road-holding, autopilot features, but resale value later on should be better for an all-wheel drive car.

If you don't live in an area where you need AWD, you don't need to buy an AWD car. A P85 will give you 4.2 seconds performance exactly in the middle between an 85D at 5.2 seconds and a P85D at 3.2 seconds. You should also factor in the additional motor noise from the front motor, which many have reported as noticeably noisier than their RWD cars, which were silent. AWD cars will depreciate like any other Model S after you buy it. There is nothing magical about AWD in that regard.

If you want the acceleration, get the P85. If you can buy it from Tesla as a CPO (certified pre-owned), you may get a longer warranty than a brand new 85D. You may even be able to find a CPO P85 with Autopilot hardware, which would give you the best combination of price, performance, and features.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus 4G LTE

No evidence to support that.

You should also factor in the additional motor noise from the front motor, which many have reported as noticeably noisier than their RWD cars, which were silent.
Disagree (with the underlined). I don't think I've driven in a "no motor noise" Tesla -- including my Sig when it was at 65 miles (i.e. at delivery) and at least half a dozen loaners.

I mentioned to my service guy that I would consider an S85D, and he commented that I would be disappointed. It really matters what you find important- all wheel drive and autopilot or sweet acceleration. I still grin each time I smash the accelerator.

85D. Especially for Switzerland, where it's not exactly flat. With 2,3 tons, RWD and open rear diff there's no way around the laws of physics even with the best traction control system. Don't believe the ads. I've been going backwards on a hill with moderate ice in my P85+

Something to keep in mind is the 85D has been shown to clock a 4.43s 0-60 with the P85 around 3.9s real world so the performance gap isn't nearly as wide as some people make it out.

On our test drive we had a P85+ and I don't feel that I'm missing much with the 85D. Unless you care about performance completely or a bit more storage the 85D has the edge in range and handling and autopilot
I can tell you TACC + stop and go traffic was worth the price of admission for me alone.

I have so far had the chance to drive an S85, P85 and a P85D. In the end I chose a S85 as the car I want. My country is flat and I have no particular need for AWD. If you live in an area where AWD could provide a benefit then by all means go for it.

Personally I don't like the way the AWD behaves on the road, it is way to grippy. You never get the feel of the tail sliding and that sensation of power barely contained. But that is a personal choice and completely up to you.

My choice today would be the S85 no doubt. It is already wicked fast in regular traffic and launching from 0-100 is not something I do on a regular basis. So the P-models are in my opinion just for show, but that has value for some people and that's okay :)

Thanks a lot to all of you for your feedback.
I agree that the 85D would be the best option for my situation, and I would care more about the autopilot and the AWD than half a second or a second to get to 100kmh.
This being said, I also can wait few more years and get a D as my second Tesla!:)

Hence my question:
- If I buy an 85D at 92kchf, I would probably sell it at what? Maybe 50kchf in 3 years. Making a 42kchf depreciation
- If I buy a P85 at 75kch, I would probably sell it at what? Maybe 40kch in 3 years. Making a 35kchf depreciation

What do you think of the above numbers.
Swiss is rather new to this car, so used market is not very clear here, but based on your 3-4 years US experience, does that look correct?

Hi Maxime,

very interesting.. I am the same age as you and also I'm Switzerland and also considering a used or new tesla, and also in the same financial situation.

we should have a chat, I bet there are plenty of things we can discuss and work together (finding the best insurance).

i am in Zurich. Feel free to PM me.

Hello guys,

I leave in Switzerland, and here is a question i struggle to answer to.
Few information about what i look for:
- S85/P85 if used - don't really mind, would actually go for a S85 if it was rightly price, but it happens to be way more P85 on sale and consequently at the right price
- S85D if new
- dark colors for outside, and open for the inside
- no specific option required.
- Won't be able to take delivery of the car (or to buy used) before sept, so not in a rush

My dilemma:
- due to the strong swiss franc, Tesla reduced their price by 5% early this year, so i can buy a brand new S85D with the colours i want for 92Kchf
- Online, there are basically only P85 with a fair amount of options that are rightly price. Today, looks like i could get approx 75kchf for the car

The good news is that i have enough cash to pull the trigger on one of the above option, the bad news is that i am rather young (30 yo) and I won't have much spare cash after that! Which means that I am very concerned with the resale value.
Indeed, i feel I would enjoy a P85 or a S85D approximatly the same (one with the autopilot, other one with the torque), and i just want to lose the least possible if i sell it back let's say in 3 years.

So here is the question:
- would i lose more money buying new with the latest tech and selling in 3 years or buy an expensive P85 that already has well depreciated but that hasn't the latest techs onboard.

I know nobody has the right answer to that question, but would be very curious to know your thoughts and recommendation.
Thanks in advance for your help guys, and please continue posting on all the various topics in this forum, it keeps the dream alive...

Maxime

I double checked the cabin noise in the P85+ and it's definitely less than a dual motor. So there are at least 4 advantages to P85/+

Quieter
Slightly more power/acceleration
More frunk space
Cost (in your case)

Disadvantages compared to 85D
Tech
Grip
Range