Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Time Experiences Driving a P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First week I got my P85D I'm driving along and I see what appears to be a blacked out Camaro ZL1 and a Maserati 2 door sports car, new body style (don't know the model) racing each other from a roll down a pretty wide and empty street. Camaro obviously had exhaust / header work because it sounded loud and pretty awesome.. Maserati sounded like a Ferrari! Looked like the Camaro was beating the Maserati.

Knowing the road ahead ended at a 4 lane stoplight very soon, I quickly speed up to watch the action. I see them both stopped at the red light and their windows were down talking to each other. I snuck up on the right lane, next to them.. They didn't even notice me at all! So there we were, Camaro ZL1, Maserati, and little ol' me at the red light.

Light turns green, I wait to see and hear if they go for it. Sure enough, they get on the gas and some tire squeal is heard- and I punch it! I immediately give the smack down to both of them and shot out 4-5 cars ahead of them both, hitting 65ish in a 55 zone and letting off.. I already proved my point and trolled their race LOL. They flew by me on the gas, not stopping and the Camaro had the Maserati by about 2 cars from what I could tell. They likely hit 100MPH trying to out do each other, yet it only took me a couple seconds to whoop both their a$$es. I love this car.

PS- I drove past them as they were in a turn lane and they both stared over with no expression lol

First week I got my P85D I'm driving along and I see what appears to be a blacked out Camaro ZL1 and a Maserati 2 door sports car, new body style (don't know the model) racing each other from a roll down a pretty wide and empty street. Camaro obviously had exhaust / header work because it sounded loud and pretty awesome.. Maserati sounded like a Ferrari! Looked like the Camaro was beating the Maserati.

Knowing the road ahead ended at a 4 lane stoplight very soon, I quickly speed up to watch the action. I see them both stopped at the red light and their windows were down talking to each other. I snuck up on the right lane, next to them.. They didn't even notice me at all! So there we were, Camaro ZL1, Maserati, and little ol' me at the red light.

Light turns green, I wait to see and hear if they go for it. Sure enough, they get on the gas and some tire squeal is heard- and I punch it! I immediately give the smack down to both of them and shot out 4-5 cars ahead of them both, hitting 65ish in a 55 zone and letting off.. I already proved my point and trolled their race LOL. They flew by me on the gas, not stopping and the Camaro had the Maserati by about 2 cars from what I could tell. They likely hit 100MPH trying to out do each other, yet it only took me a couple seconds to whoop both their a$$es. I love this car.

PS- I drove past them as they were in a turn lane and they both stared over with no expression lol

Haha nice dude! Here is my story I was driving I punched the acceleration pedal at a traffic light my whole body flew back. What I didn't realize was a police officer was behind me and pulled me over I was going 70 in a 45 mph zone. So at that point I'm like well I'm screwed. He comes up to the driver side and says sir this is your lucky day. I look a bit confused and asked why. He said he knew the car was powerful and he would just assume i hit the pedal too hard by accident. (Me being stupid I wasn't catching on) so after the third time he finally said sir do you want a ticket? I replied no. Then he said okay and drove off.

I think it's hilarious that a dude wanted to race you even though he would lose anyway. When you drove the P85D were you shocked at the power?

Oh most definitely. The salesperson took us to a curvy back road with nothing near the road (so you could see if anyone was coming towards the road), switched me to insane mode, and told me to really take the curves. Whew. It was amazing! Felt horrible to go home without the car, but I hope to have a non-P in June!

I've had my P85D for about a month now. I've always been suitably impressed with the launch. Much better than my Roadster 1.5. But yesterday I found out what it's really like! In the past When doing a launch I've always just kind of just pressed down on the Go pedal and held it to,the floor. But yesterday I SNAPPED the pedal down very quickly in stead of a more gentle press. Wow, what a difference! I don't think the 1/4 mile time would really be much different but the emotional impact of that first jerk of acceleration from zero is really impressive and unlike anything I've ever experienced before.

Haha nice dude! Here is my story I was driving I punched the acceleration pedal at a traffic light my whole body flew back. What I didn't realize was a police officer was behind me and pulled me over I was going 70 in a 45 mph zone. So at that point I'm like well I'm screwed. He comes up to the driver side and says sir this is your lucky day. I look a bit confused and asked why. He said he knew the car was powerful and he would just assume i hit the pedal too hard by accident. (Me being stupid I wasn't catching on) so after the third time he finally said sir do you want a ticket? I replied no. Then he said okay and drove off.

If it were me, it would be the other way around. I never have that kind of luck :(

OK, last week my neighbor and I drove my 60 up to Lambertville to test drive the “D”. Tesla had a nice red one for the spin around the town in, well going through Lambertville a 5 miles an hour was interesting because you know what was coming. After that 20 second ride though town Alex said turn right and we pulled up to a stop sign leading onto Rte 29.
The word was let the car go by first so a few seconds later Alex said OK punch it. I always said that the Tesla was a rocket on rails but damn the “D” does throw you back in the seat. The acceleration was instantaneous and four seconds later Keith had to hit the breaks or we would have been up the tail pipe of the guy in front of us.

Would I trade up for a ”D” ----- NO --- however, I would enjoy the ability to take one out on a closed road every once and awhile and get that 0 to 60 rush in three points +
I would not let my teenage sons drive my 60 and they wouldn’t be allowed to look at the “D” until they were forty. Hope to have it until the battery dies 15 years from now.

Reminds me of this (not a "D", but still....):

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother isn't into cars one bit. In fact he could care less and never came along for any test drives. So I sat him in the car and did the very first insane mode launch when we went to pick up the car. I just said, "are you ready?" and when he was replying, "for wha..." I floored it and his eyes got super wide and he started screaming and laughing. Safe to say, he loves the new ride now:wink:

I test drove the P85D in Tucson, Az. I went home and ordered one. This car is close to 4 times more then I have ever spent for a car. I have drag raced on and off for 40 years, this Tesla is INCREDIBLE on many levels. Mine in production now and should be delivered in 2/3 weeks. I have not been this worked up since my first car, and one other time involving a female. ... Jim i live in Phoenix.

I test drove the P85D a few weeks ago, and I remember my immediate reaction when trying out Insane Mode was a flashback to the Rock n' Roller Coaster at Disney World. (Acceleration for the ride is 0 to 57 mph in 2.8 seconds, according to Wikipedia.) So when I get my car in a few months, I'm going to have to make sure Aerosmith is blasting any time I punch the pedal.