Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Executive seats: a quick review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
While my P85D is at the Service Center to finally get the next-gen seats I ordered installed, I am driving an S85 loaner that is fully-loaded including executive seats.

Since this is the first time I see them in person, I figured I'd give a quick review. First of all, and I think this is common knowledge by new, the seats don't fold down at all - so there is no way to transport large objects in the trunk that require either or both seats to move forward at all.

The seats themselves are wide and fairly comfortable width-wise (in the X-axis). They are more "bucketed" than the standard, non-next gen front seats, meaning they have more side support while not feeling constrained in any way. I don't have my next-gen seats yet to compare side-by-side, but the few times I sat in them they were definitely snug. At 5'11" and 165 lbs, I am not the best person to be the judge of how tight they can be, but those exec seats seem to definitely be more roomy than the next-gen ones.

However, I didn't feel very comfortable in the Y-axis: the seat-back doesn't feel as though it reclines enough, yet at the same time my lower back was too far into the part where the seat-back and seat-bottom meet. It's a little hard to describe, but imagine your back being arched too much to fit snugly along the seat back - as though there was waaaay too much lumbar support (and I LIKE lumbar support for my poor broken back...)

This car also had the subzero (cold weather) package, and the interesting thing here is that the seat-back and seat-bottom are separate controls. So you could have the seat heater set to 1 for the bottom cushion but set to 3 for the seat-back!

Finally, the center console looks to be identical to the one I bought as an aftermarket accessory for my car - although it is clearly placed solidly into place as opposed to the aftermarket one.

And of course, a picture is worth a thousand words:

IMG_7667.jpg

Woh, you mean you just took the car and had Tesla install the seats later instead of refusing delivery and threatening to sue? Madness...

Can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic, but there are several P85D owners on here (and probably many more not on TMC) who chose this option with a due bill from Tesla for the next-gen seats. The initial delay would have caused deliveries to be pushed back weeks, or even months. In the end we all get what we paid for. No need to threaten suing :biggrin:

So are there controls for the rear passengers to set this?

I heard at some points that owners would use a tablet (not sure if it's Tesla-provided or not) to remotely control HVAC and seat heater settings.

I have the executive seats and was told there will be an app to control them (and media). No ETA was given. When the app is released, I plan on keeping an old IPhone 4 in the car for passengers (having USB ports added to the rear console for charging).

Finally, the center console looks to be identical to the one I bought as an aftermarket accessory for my car - although it is clearly placed solidly into place as opposed to the aftermarket one.

Wondering if you've come across a solution to keep the front in place without gluing it down permanently? Probably a stupid question but what the heck. I love the quality of the console but really hoping to make it feel less hackish, more solid.

Can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic, but there are several P85D owners on here (and probably many more not on TMC) who chose this option with a due bill from Tesla for the next-gen seats. The initial delay would have caused deliveries to be pushed back weeks, or even months. In the end we all get what we paid for. No need to threaten suing :biggrin:

There is another thread here in the Model X section where one person refused to accept the car with first-gen seats and a due-bill for next-gen seats. Tesla and he had a subsequent falling out, with a cancellation of his Model X reservation.

I have the executive seats and was told there will be an app to control them (and media). No ETA was given. When the app is released, I plan on keeping an old IPhone 4 in the car for passengers (having USB ports added to the rear console for charging).

They should have had them in there already. People will want this. Also, I wonder if it will a stand-alone app or integrated to the current app, perhaps with special menus for the car that have those seats? But if this car is going to be chauffeured around it could be used by several different people and it's not practical for all of them to have access from their phone.

They should have had them in there already. People will want this. Also, I wonder if it will a stand-alone app or integrated to the current app, perhaps with special menus for the car that have those seats? But if this car is going to be chauffeured around it could be used by several different people and it's not practical for all of them to have access from their phone.

I agree I would expect power outlets but I did not see any in the rear (was hoping there would be). My understanding is that it will be a separate app with just access to media, roof, and rear heated seats (but until it is released, it is all speculation). I hope it will connect via bluetooth so I can use an old, out of service, phone and just leave it in the car.

I agree I would expect power outlets but I did not see any in the rear (was hoping there would be). My understanding is that it will be a separate app with just access to media, roof, and rear heated seats (but until it is released, it is all speculation). I hope it will connect via bluetooth so I can use an old, out of service, phone and just leave it in the car.

Bluetooth of course would be the best solution. With a first-time authentification from the car (driver on car's screen).

This feature was not very well thought out. Tesla should have offered powered USB ports back there and should also have provided a secondary touch screen to control the rear seat heaters as well as give those in the back their own climate zone. Those additional items would make the upgrade price worthwhile, otherwise it seems like a waste of money when you can get the rear console as an add-on product.

Just sat in a P85D with the executive seats. There is plenty of room behind the seats for luggage. In addition the storage well is not changed with this option.
There is a removable parcel shelf that also has a flip up.
As for the rear seats they are (to me) at the same angle as the traditional Next Gen seats but are wider by 3" and a bit more luxurious as far as the seat padding is concerned.

The rear center console has the same configuration as the optional removable rear center console. It has two cup holders, arm padding and under the arm padding a storage area.

Leg room is very good and I had ample leg room for my 6' frame.

Financially the executive seats force the Sub Zero Weather Package which I wanted all along, currently a $750 option.

It also comes with the rear console so I do not have to order that accessory.

Given you have the correct use case for the car and are not expecting to haul large quantities of cargo it could be appropriate. This option adds a more luxurious sophisticated feel to the Model S. For me it is all goodness.

I suggest you attempt to see an S with this rear seating option and try it out comparing it to the standard Model S.

Last edited:
I bought a S85D with rear executive seat option, I take delivery on Friday. I got to tool around in a demo with the option and opted for a car with it.
Rear trunk space is no different the regular seats, you just cant fold the seat down. At first this made me reconsider my purchase, since I am a cyclist and fold my seat down in my A7 to haul my bike. However, my bike fits fine I just have to remove both wheels which is no big deal.
Comfort is excellent, they are far more comfortable then the regular seats and they make the interior more luxurious.

Hehe thanks. Must be the previous person's kid who took it out as a loaner (I don't have any... kids that is, not crumbs :biggrin:)

Oh and here's a snapshot of the rear seat heaters:

View attachment 76569

Marc, do the front seats also have separate back and seat controls? It doesn't look like it since the back is missing the waves, but I thought I'd ask. I am not getting executive seats, but I would pay the $750 for the subzero package in order to get separate controls.