Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

301 wh / mile on first p85d drive home....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Well, I can honestly say I was quite pleased and quite relieved at the efficiency driving home tonight.

We left the Tesla factory around 7:00 PM. We had to go back to pick up my daughters cell phone so that's why we were back there so late.

We drove through Manteca stopping to supercharge and eat at Red Robin. Our booth was in eyesight of the stalls. That entire side of the parking lot was empty. 3 ICEs drove by slowly. One guy got out and walked up to the car I guess just to look but it was making me nervous. I flashed the lights with the app and he immediately got back in his car and left. Later, two more Tesla's showed up. After I was done topping off, I moved mine to a closer but still empty part of the parking lot. Another Tesla showed up, so when we left, there were 3 charging.

The entire trip from the factory is 117 miles. Manteca is the half way point which is 60 miles from my house.

I drove between the speed limit and 5 MPH above the speed limit the entire time. There was no stop and go traffic. I managed to get home without any pebbles or stuff hitting the car. It was white knuckle all the way as I don't have paint protection yet(next on the list but I wanted to give the factory paint a week or so to cure.

Trip B shows 145 miles and 319 wh / mile but that included all of the insane mode launches for co-workers today. When we left the Tesla factory, I reset trip A.

The settings were suspension lowest, steering sport, range mode on, regen low, headlights on the entire time. AC on for the first half of the trip.

301 wh / mile is within a hair of rated. The 117 mile trip home included 3 overtaking passes.

Played around with TACC. With it engaged, and with very little traffic, it did not do as good in 5 minute usage graphs as my right foot did. Cruise tends to regen brake on tiny downslopes to try and keep the speed the same rather than let the car speed up a few mph taking that energy into a level plane. It was pretty clear that unless the road is perfectly flat, cruise is going to do a little worse than your foot.

Also, I find myself setting regen to low on the freeway but normal in city driving. Wish there was some way to auto select this.

Still, I'm thrilled with 301 wh / mile.

20150330_222247.jpg

Note, that 309 from when we left the Manteca supercharger was me not realizing that the suspension had returned to normal. Once I lowered it to the lowest, the wh / mile started heading back down.

Other factors. No wind. Temperature was 75 before dinner and 65 after. When we got back on the road, it appeared that the wh /mile wasn't as good. The first 5 minutes, on level ground shot up to 350 after the freeway onramp fell off the left side of the graph. A quick check of the settings and I realized that my air suspension was back on normal so I lowered it to max. The wh / mile on the graph immediately started dropping.

EV Trip Planner with a speed factor of 1.05 said the same route should have taken 327 wh / mile. Additionally, the car thinks it drove 1.5 miles less than it actually did, so that would really be 298 wh / mile, not 301.