Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 Audio Enhancements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any specifics to what exactly was changed with the "new" audio codecs/enhancements listed in the release notes?

I saw one user mention that there was more bass... just got 6.2 this morning and in my limited listening on the way to work I can't tell any difference in the audio (at least with my flash drive). Haven't checked bluetooth or the streaming services...

Not certain if this should be a new thread or tacked on to the 6.2 thread (which is getting pretty large)... so I thought I'd ask here anyway.

Finally!! Somebody who cares about this like I do! :) I'm interested in learning more here too... obviously they've done some tuning of the FM antennas... which was needed. It seemed to switch back and forth between the multiple antennas too much (especially when HD radio was on) causing weird echoing and other stuff even on mid-strength signals... forget about it on low signals.

But then there's the language around "codecs" which makes me feel like they are either adding new ones, or updating existing codecs to newer versions that maybe provide better quality or higher bit rates, etc... I'm not sure if this means over bluetooth streaming, over internet (slacker/tune-in) streaming, over plugged-in portable media, or all of the above?

Or maybe they just did some more equalization to the systems in general? At this point I'm guessing we'll just have to wait and see it with our own ears :)

Definitely has more bass. I noticed it while driving in this morning after the update. Didn't listen to it long enough or loud enough to speculate on any other sounds quality improvements. I have the upgraded sound system.

I'm personally hoping they make the stereo actually sound better with Dolby on, as opposed off, the way it is now....
:) I like to toggle this on/off sometimes just to hear the difference but overall the dolby thing is a bit gimmicky to me so I leave it off. I say that because it's basically taking a two channel (L/R) audio input and trying to "infer" 5 channels out of it... Now if the stereo somehow had the ability to accept a true 5.1 or 7.1 source audio (say something ripped from super-audio CD's or DVD audio discs) that's when i would turn it on... because then you're getting true discreet 5.1 or 7.1, and it isn't "faux" surround ;-) just my techie $.02

Definitely has more bass. I noticed it while driving in this morning after the update. Didn't listen to it long enough or loud enough to speculate on any other sounds quality improvements. I have the upgraded sound system.

Having listened to my system for several days now, I agree that for internet music there is definitely more low end. Can't hear any differences (pre 6.2) in music being played from my flash drive.

Funny thing- album art recognition has been very strong over the last month or so. But it seems to miss more with the 6.2 release. Not certain if this is because the cars art cache was cleared or Tesla is having issues on the server side (or where ever the car checks for artwork). Haven't changed the songs on the flash drive at all.

It might just be my imagination, but I tried Dolby today and it seemed like it did sound better than before, which was pretty bad so I rarely used it. Felt a bit more open without being so over processed. Less echo-y. Can't think of another way to describe it.

I just wish that they would make it easier to balance the speakers. It is practically impossible to move those sliders while driving to get just what I want. What would be better, for both balance and tone, would be to have arrows at either extreme that you could tap to move the slider in small increments. Now, when I try to move either the center point on balance or the numerical sliders, I almost never can get it to where I want. Going from 1 to 2, etc is almost impossible. It will jump up to say 4 or 5 and then I need to fiddle with the darn thing. Not good when driving because it requires me to take my eyes off the road for entirely too long. Same applies to tone controls. I love the touch screen. But I think, in practice, it is less safe than having a knob that I can hold and turn or push while keeping my eyes where they should be. Arrows could be a good compromise. Or the scroll wheels.

It might just be my imagination, but I tried Dolby today and it seemed like it did sound better than before, which was pretty bad so I rarely used it. Felt a bit more open without being so over processed. Less echo-y. Can't think of another way to describe it.

I just wish that they would make it easier to balance the speakers. It is practically impossible to move those sliders while driving to get just what I want. What would be better, for both balance and tone, would be to have arrows at either extreme that you could tap to move the slider in small increments. Now, when I try to move either the center point on balance or the numerical sliders, I almost never can get it to where I want. Going from 1 to 2, etc is almost impossible. It will jump up to say 4 or 5 and then I need to fiddle with the darn thing. Not good when driving because it requires me to take my eyes off the road for entirely too long. Same applies to tone controls. I love the touch screen. But I think, in practice, it is less safe than having a knob that I can hold and turn or push while keeping my eyes where they should be. Arrows could be a good compromise. Or the scroll wheels.

Yeah, I hate that. It's really terrible and a sign that the touchscreen/widget support in the Qt framework version they are on isn't so great. Core OS stuff that needs updating if dragging is a normal interaction. Otherwise they should just use +/- buttons.

The internet audio is absolutely different. I have standard sound and both the volume and bass levels were higher at the same settings (EQ and volume number). Not sure if it sounded better, will need to listen further to figure that out but there was definitely more impact.

Haven't checked FLAC files from my HD yet.

It's not just your imagination. After updating to 6.2 I'm hearing the same improvement with Dolby on.

This is a substantial improvement. For the first time in 2+ years I actually prefer the sound character with Dolby on.

For everyone that's upgraded to 6.2, give it a try.

It's not just your imagination. After updating to 6.2 I'm hearing the same improvement with Dolby on.

This is a substantial improvement. For the first time in 2+ years I actually prefer the sound character with Dolby on.

For everyone that's upgraded to 6.2, give it a try.
Can we get a more "wine review" description rather than a movie star count on this one? ;)

Totally agree, big change. Based on FLAC listening. Dolby no longer total crap. Not sure I prefer it to plain stereo, but at lest now it is competitive. More bass and mid... previously I had bass boosted +3.5 at moderate volumes (6ish). Now flat is fine. Also, if you fade to rear, it is still weak, but much less anemic than before. Fade at roughly -7 rearward now gives nice full surround.

Going to have to listen for a while to see overall how I like... seems a little less crisp than before... maybe just a matter of finding the "new" EQ sweet spot.

Sounds the same to me. I have the upgraded sound. Turning Dolby on collapses the sound field to primarily the front speakers. Try moving the sound field all the way to the rear and then toggle Dolby. You'll hear much more rear speaker sound with Dolby off, and more rear speaker sound is needed to create an enveloping sound stage.

Looks like the improvement is for the standard sound system, not the upgraded one....i believe that I read somewhere that elon actually said that, also...

Just installed 6.2 today. I have Standard Sound. I mostly listen to "slacker" and occasionally thru blue tooth (I'm no audiophile).

The sound is greatly improved. I agree with others. There's more bass and the sound is louder overall and clearer.