Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More range after 6.2 update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. Coming up on my third spring season and it just amazes me how much the efficiency improves with temperature.

I'm curious as to why it makes such a difference? According to the drag equation the air drag is proportional to the density. And density is inversely proportional to the Kelvin temperature. So at -20, the air is only 16% denser than at +20. Yet the energy consumption goes up far more than 16%, even with the HVAC off.

I wonder if there are some opportunity for improvement there.

I'm curious as to why it makes such a difference? According to the drag equation the air drag is proportional to the density. And density is inversely proportional to the Kelvin temperature. So at -20, the air is only 16% denser than at +20. Yet the energy consumption goes up far more than 16%, even with the HVAC off.

Pack temperature management (warming) during winter consumes a lot.

If you go to Tesla's web site and use their range estimator, without climate at 55 mph, you see a range of 352 miles at 70 F. At 0 F, the range is 330. This is only a 6% reduction. That doesn't seem right. As you noted, increased air density should result in a greater reduction than 6%.

For my PHEV, without using climate, energy consumption, in EV mode increases 40% at 0 F. There is no battery heater for this car.

Some people have reported noticeably better wh/miles numbers after installing the latest 6.2 update - can anyone confirm?
Many people who's rated range at 90% had dropped over time experience a brief increase of the rated range shown after a firmware update. This has been reported several times.
Usually the number drifts down after a couple of charge cycles, but sometimes their were algorithmic changes that did indeed either change what was displayed (oh well, better guestimate - we had this especially in the 4.x series, also at some point in 5.x) or made a difference in actual rate (recently for P85D)

If you go to Tesla's web site and use their range estimator, without climate at 55 mph, you see a range of 352 miles at 70 F. At 0 F, the range is 330. This is only a 6% reduction. That doesn't seem right. As you noted, increased air density should result in a greater reduction than 6%.

For my PHEV, without using climate, energy consumption, in EV mode increases 40% at 0 F. There is no battery heater for this car.

Drive a leaf and then you'll see why Lol. In all seriousness everything works harder in winter. Takes more electricity to heat (battery is always heated or cooled) takes more electricity to power through the denser air, and takes more electricity to drive through water whether it be in the form of water, ice, or snow.

Many people who's rated range at 90% had dropped over time experience a brief increase of the rated range shown after a firmware update. This has been reported several times.
Usually the number drifts down after a couple of charge cycles, but sometimes their were algorithmic changes that did indeed either change what was displayed (oh well, better guestimate - we had this especially in the 4.x series, also at some point in 5.x) or made a difference in actual rate (recently for P85D)
Completely agree. That said, I believe it was Doug_G that mentioned that after one of the 6.1 upgrades he had a rated range increase that "stuck" (stayed) rather than vanishing after a few charge cycles. I'm happy to report that my sig had a similar bump in rated range with one of the 6.1 upgrades as well. My 90% charge is in the 230s consistently for 3 months now. Prior to 6.1, it was 221-223mi. at 90% depending on the ambient temperature (higher for warmer weather).

I don't expect a bump in 6.2, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on it.

That said, I believe it was Doug_G that mentioned that after one of the 6.1 upgrades he had a rated range increase that "stuck" (stayed) rather than vanishing after a few charge cycles. I'm happy to report that my sig had a similar bump in rated range with one of the 6.1 upgrades as well. My 90% charge is in the 230s consistently for 3 months now. Prior to 6.1, it was 221-223mi. at 90% depending on the ambient temperature (higher for warmer weather).

And I am one who has never seen a bump or reduction of even 1 mile across firmware updates. (I have an A-pack). I get 218 Rated Miles at 90% with about 42,000 miles on the clock.

And I am one who has never seen a bump or reduction of even 1 mile across firmware updates. (I have an A-pack). I get 218 Rated Miles at 90% with about 42,000 miles on the clock.
There's 44.5k miles on my sig's clock; also an A pack. FYI.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't 218 a little low for 90%? Shouldn't it be 238 based on a 265 rated miles?
No. Yes, if there's no degradation and perfect estimation by the capacity sensing and algorithm.

Have you ever tried "resetting/recalibrating" the algorithm, as some people do, by driving down the battery close to zero and then keeping it plugged in at 100% for a few days?

From my experience after two winters, my only variable is tires.
When I'm on winter tires, my average is 270-290wh/m wether temperature is 5F or 50F
As long as the battery warm and no heat used, it's the same regardless of temp

So, if you drive on summer or all-season tires below 40f, it will kill your milage