Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois suspended Rebate Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is very disappointing. Suspending the program going forward is one thing but to tell people that submitted the paper work last year that they are out of luck is total BS! Hopefully it is just on hold until Rauner is done reviewing the states finances but that is probably to optimistic.

In contrast, "big oil" is still getting subsides to the tune of billions. so quick to cut off EV's.

state vs Fed? EV's get a pretty healthy subsidy at the federal level. IL is broke I believe. On the other hand, MN seems to be doing well but has made zero movement towards state incentives. Easy come easy go. On the other hand, it is a crime in my opinion not to pay those who have already submitted.

P.S. State EV incentives screw over people from neighboring states who see their resale value depressed because of incentives that they don't qualify for, but the market assumes nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
state vs Fed? EV's get a pretty healthy subsidy at the federal level. IL is broke I believe. On the other hand, MN seems to be doing well but has made zero movement towards state incentives. Easy come easy go. On the other hand, it is a crime in my opinion not to pay those who have already submitted.

P.S. State EV incentives screw over people from neighboring states who see their resale value depressed because of incentives that they don't qualify for, but the market assumes nonetheless.
Have oil/gas companies pay for their own protection for oil tanker shipping lanes that go in/out of the Middle East. Now that subsidy blows away anything EV owners get. If IL is broke what about the hundreds of billions the U.S. has spent on this?

Have oil/gas companies pay for their own protection for oil tanker shipping lanes that go in/out of the Middle East. Now that subsidy blows away anything EV owners get. If IL is broke what about the hundreds of billions the U.S. has spent on this?

I was simply reminding you that this is a difference of a state subsidy versus a federal subsidy. Do your IL or NJ or whatever states taxes go to ships in the middle east? No. I am in favor of EV incentives at the federal level. The federal government does not need to balance their budget (sadly), but IL and most other states do. This was a very generous incentive and am not surprised it is going away.

This is more a policy debate than a Tesla issue.