Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Documentary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend had an idea about opening the eyes of others by making a documentary where we drive from Jefferson City, MO to the East Coast and back with the goal of spending as little as possible (camping instead of hotels) to show how inexpensive it is to drive a Tesla cross country. He is a film guy and this is something that he would be able to show as something he made. He thinks it has potential I'm not as sure but wanted to get other's opinion on the subject. If anyone has any other ideas post them as well. We would probably take a week off of work to complete this.

I think any true story about driving and living with a Tesla would be amazing, because it is ☺️. Playing devil's advocate, I'm sure you will be questioned by people about why you want to spend nothing on the trip but purchased a >$80,000 car.

Jefferson City is an interesting choice for a jumping off point. How did you select that? Ironically, it may be one of the most difficult places to get a charge! There is very limited infrastructure there unless you know someone who has a charger.

I'm originally from Jefferson City and my friend lives there. The point of spending little is to prove how affordable it is to roadtrip in a Tesla and how much of a non-inconvenience it is.

Instead of the theme being to show how inexpensive it is to drive a Tesla cross country, how about the theme being the impressions of the common man met along the trip. What THEY think it costs to operate and maintain an electric vehicle. What THEY think of the electric vehicle owner. Then contrast that with the facts and stats of EV owners.

Instead of the theme being to show how inexpensive it is to drive a Tesla cross country, how about the theme being the impressions of the common man met along the trip. What THEY think it costs to operate and maintain an electric vehicle. What THEY think of the electric vehicle owner. Then contrast that with the facts and stats of EV owners.

So at various stops interview random people and let them know the facts? I like that idea.

I think any true story about driving and living with a Tesla would be amazing, because it is ☺️. Playing devil's advocate, I'm sure you will be questioned by people about why you want to spend nothing on the trip but purchased a >$80,000 car.

Well, the reason is pretty simple. "I don't like paying for things where the only thing I end up with is a receipt." In other words, I can spend the money on operations or I can spend it on a better hardware platform. I end up spending it anyway, but the better hardware platform is a lot more fun than a drawer full of receipts.

+1
Starting out with a theme rather than an agenda is more engaging.

- - - Updated - - -

So at various stops interview random people and let them know the facts? I like that idea.
Suggestion: Less about "let them know the facts" and more about eliciting a "really?" response when you answer their questions.