Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black headliner - any regrets ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this is not a very strategic question...
But I am in my last days before entering in production... I am sure you know the feeling...

So... has anyone ever regretted to have chosen the black headliner ?

I am planning to go for Blue Metallic exterior, Leather Black new gen seats, Carbon Trim, Pano roof.
I have not confirmed the black headliner for now... but the standard headliner seems a bit too yellowish.
I live in Europe in a tempered area - not too hot - not too cold.

Possible disadvantages of black headliner :

- Feeling of lower roof, smaller cabin
- Too dark car
- Suede giving a bit too "comfy" look on the dashboard. Actually, I would prefer a Black fabric headliner - but is not an option.

So... any regrets with you black headliner ? Would you do it again ?

Thanks,

David

My previous P85 had black interior with beige alcantara headliner, but for my current P85D I went with black alcantara headliner. No regrets. It matches very nicely with the alcantara top pad on the dash if you get the premium interior package. It also doesn't show dirt as easily as the beige headliner.

From the cars I have seen in real life I would suggest that the black interior and black headliner might be a bit over the top. You end up in this black cell..

However combine the black headline with any leather color (tan or gray) and the result is just smashing.

I loved the black-on-black based on my test drive. I wasn't considering that combination but it looked great, thanks to the Alcantara - it provides a lovely texture and an extra shade of black. If you get the black but subsequently decide you prefer the beige, you may be able to swap it with another owner. The black headliner is one of the newest options and that by itself makes it more desirable than the beige.

My first model S had the standard headliner with a black interior, and my second has a black headliner and tan interior. I definitely prefer the black/tan combo. One of the original reasons I went with a black interior is that tan/grey didn't match the color of the headliner. You end up with a spot on the A-piller that just didn't look right. Color is a very personal choice, but since you asked- I would not order a black interior with the black headliner. Too dark for my taste. The lighting in the model S is not great, and with an entirely black interior it's, well, very dark.

Can't wait to convert my tan headliner to black! The problem with the standard headliner is that it gets dirty FAST. People unintentionally getting in and out of the car will get the b-pillar area marked up. All of my cars have had black headliner, every one of them. I couldn't get it on my Tesla when I purchased it because it wasn't available, that's why I'm getting a retrofit done. I can't stand the tan top... But then again, it's all opinion based.

I have black with the black headliner. Having never been able to see it prior to delivery I was concerned about the small cell like feeling that some had conjectured as well as the dash being over the top and like deep plush carpeting. My worries were unfounded, I have been very happy with it. I think the way that Tesla did the combo dash with leather / alcantera was very well done and overall the whole makes sitting in the car feel like a special place.

I have the black alcantara headliner with pano and black leather. i LOVE it. It's one of the most frequently complimented aspects of the interior. It looks perfect with the alcantara inserts in the dash. I can't tell you how often someone rubs it and says ohhhhhhhhh cool.

i went black headliner w grey interior, and it looks pretty badass. thanks to TMC forums i found out that the regular headliner would not have matched the grey interior - i'd have been really unhappy with it that way, so i'm double thrilled with the black.

i don't find it at all cramped-feeling. (btw i do have the pano roof.)

i went black headliner w grey interior, and it looks pretty badass. thanks to TMC forums i found out that the regular headliner would not have matched the grey interior - i'd have been really unhappy with it that way, so i'm double thrilled with the black.

i don't find it at all cramped-feeling. (btw i do have the pano roof.)

I have the same thing. Grey with Black headliner looks great. I think it works best with the grey since black on black would make the cabin too dark. Grey on Black is a nice contrast

Does anyone have a picture of the dashboard in grey and black ? I would appreciate this a lot.

In the Design studio, the picture is from the side, I would be very interested in a picture facing the dashboard:
- for black/black
- for black / grey

It would be no help for me to try so see one in real life at the SC here in Belgium, since they explained me they sell about 50% black leather, 30% tan leather, 10% grey leather, 10% textile.
So not a lot opportunities to see a grey leather dashboard with black alcantara.

Thanks a lot !

D.

699-WP_20150314_003.jpg

This is a picture from a grey/black car. The lighting is not optimal but you get the idea.