Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App on Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the tesla app on Android notify you if your update is ready for install or is that another one of those apple only things? I'm still waiting for my update to become available :(

Does the car need to be in the always connected mode as well?

MS60 vin 7777*

I believe it is iPhone only. Not really sure why. I have android too and never get any of the notifications and there is no notification setting.

Yup, the new 6.2 feature for the push notification when your car has enough charge at a supercharger (part of the range assurance feature) is also iPhone only as well. I guess Tesla has problems with push notifications on their Android app?

Why's Elon gotta hate on Android.
"Hate" is surely too strong a word for this situation. Tesla doesn't put many resources into the smartphone app on my opinion. It could be much better. I suspect that there are many more Tesla owners with hones than Android phone and that explains the differences between the apps, but I bet that the Android app features will come in time.

Same reason Tesla doesn't do Windows or Blackberry. User base too small to make it worth the expense. While there are many Android phones out there, I doubt that user base intersects with Tesla ownership much.

For what it's worth, at the St. Louis Tesla Enthusiasts' group get-togethers, there are more Android phones than iPhones running the Tesla app.

Same reason Tesla doesn't do Windows or Blackberry. User base too small to make it worth the expense. While there are many Android phones out there, I doubt that user base intersects with Tesla ownership much.

For Android - I find that hard to believe :confused: especially as ownership has moved more and more out of California into RoW - I can see windows & Blackberry ownership being low as generally they are low everywhere

Android app is for some reason is simple under supported ..

For Android - I find that hard to believe :confused: especially as ownership has moved more and more out of California into RoW - I can see windows & Blackberry ownership being low as generally they are low everywhere

Android app is for some reason is simple under supported ..

I second that motion. Would love to see some global statistics on how many Tesla users use the iPhone app versus the Android app.
Android was outselling iphone for the past 2 years (which corresponds to the time interval of the Model S availability) according to this article:
Apples iPhone Overtakes Android In US Sales For The First Time Since 2012 | TechCrunch

So I am not convinced that the stronger iphone support is fully justiffied, it may have been based on an outdated business decision made back in 2012...

I second that motion. Would love to see some global statistics on how many Tesla users use the iPhone app versus the Android app.
Android was outselling iphone for the past 2 years (which corresponds to the time interval of the Model S availability) according to this article:
Apples iPhone Overtakes Android In US Sales For The First Time Since 2012 | TechCrunch

So I am not convinced that the stronger iphone support is fully justiffied, it may have been based on an outdated business decision made back in 2012...

Yes there are a lot more Android devices sold than iPhone, but the typical Android user doesn't use apps. There is a reason why developers make 4x more profit on iPhone than Android. Many Android users get free 'good enough' phones or get Samsung phones at huge discounts. These users aren't inclined to download and / or buy apps with their device. They generally make phone calls and text. That's ignoring the fact that it's a LOT easier to make a good app on iPhone than Android. Developers prefer the Apple ecosystem because there are fewer devices to support, better tools, etc.

"Doesn't use apps" isn't correct. "Doesn't pay a lot for lots of apps" is probably more accurate. The devices are less expensive, so iOwners are probably more likely to spend on apps just as they spent more for their devices. Everyone I know who has an Android has a zillion apps and plenty of paid ones too. Anecdotal evidence is worthless, but the 40 people I know of all ages with Android phones are certainly the gamut of "typical Android users".

I think it comes down to Android not making it easy enough to develop the apps, which you mentioned. With iOS you make one app and it works everywhere pretty much - with Android you have hundreds or thousands of different models and software versions out there so it's PITA to get it working platform-wide. Android will overcome this, they know it's a huge issue and their income suffers along with the app developers' income so they have a lot of reason to fix it.

Yes there are a lot more Android devices sold than iPhone, but the typical Android user doesn't use apps. There is a reason why developers make 4x more profit on iPhone than Android. Many Android users get free 'good enough' phones or get Samsung phones at huge discounts. These users aren't inclined to download and / or buy apps with their device. They generally make phone calls and text. That's ignoring the fact that it's a LOT easier to make a good app on iPhone than Android. Developers prefer the Apple ecosystem because there are fewer devices to support, better tools, etc.

That's actually not true, at least from my perspective as a contract developer. I've been on probably a little over a dozen mobile projects in the last 3-4 years, doing both Android and iOS work. Typically, the Android guy points out his work at the same rate as the iOS guy and the delivery time is the same - whether I'm the Android guy or the iOS guy.

Android's fragmentation makes life difficult for some types of apps, but it's just one in many factors that make up each platform's strengths and weaknesses. Doing battle with the cert requirements and heavier server infrastructure for APN's can create an equal schedule hit on the other side of a few copied layouts to support multiple Android densities.

It's almost certain, however, that iOS users tend to be more affluent. If you walk into a Verizon store with an empty pocket, you will walk out with an Android phone.

As you move "up" the curve into the higher brackets (and Model S owners), I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that those car owners are tilted heavily towards iOS. Even the time tracking software used by my sister's law firm only supports iOS for mobile (in addition to Windows/OSX).

Hopefully, Tesla will catch Android up soon, as the actual expense of keeping an app that simple updated is quite trivial in terms of project work. A UX guy, PM, and a few devs are not a ton of money. Either that or open the API and document it so the community can do the work.

So the Google Play store shows how many times the Tesla app has been downloaded (~10,000). That should give a rough idea of users though there is obviously some people with more than one device using the app and there is also households with more than one Tesla...

Does iTunes show a download #?