Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with non-D loaner as an 85D owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove a P85+ loaner after owning and driving an S85D for two weeks. First impression is that everyone should consider the D even if they don't live in the snow belt. The loaner overtseered more than expected and traction control goes crazy when I floor it at red lights even on dry roads. Even if it's more powerful than the "non-P D", I didn't feel it or could confidently make use of.

Till now, the D feels like it has some unholy connection to the road and never realized that this level of stability was not normal. I have accelerated on corners on slushy/snowy roads and never felt any hint of losing control. I've taken off at lights and never saw the yellow traction light come on. In fact, I noticed the traction control icon first time on the loaner. On the plus side, I can definitely see this car being more fun for drifting and other shenanigans that enthusiasts like to :)

Other impressions:
I wish I had gotten the air suspension. The high setting made me feel like I was SUV-high and felt more confident going over bumps and post-winter potholes.
Carbon fiber trim job looked poor in terms of fit and finish. Not sure if it was just the loaner.
I miss the non-D frunk size.
Glad I went with MC Red and not the gray I was planning to.
Edit (more impressions):
I also prefer the warm yellow dome LEDs compared to the blue white LEDs.
I hate the screw on the rear view mirror chrome arm on my 85D. Always mocking me when the car is parked and the mirrors retracted. It wasn't there on the loaner and looked so much better. Tesla really did a shoddy job with this hack.

p.s. These are just personal preferences and quick takes. No offense to anyone out there. Still a better car than any other brand out there.

Last edited:
You really did. Having a small kid I prefer stability over fun. But I get both from the D. Non-D felt butt-heavy and D feels heavy but planted. It's a more sterile drive and boy can it accelerate in corners like it's on rails. I truly believe the 85D is the sweet spot in terms of compromises.

Going from a P85+ to an 85D. (test drove, ordered) so a bit in the opposite direction. Haven't driven AWD since an Evo many years ago and forgot how much more fun it is blasting out of corners with such little drama, not to mention traction in every other situation. I think I will miss the kick in the ass coming from the rear 4xx hp motor in the P+ when stepping on it (I can feel the difference coming off the line), but there are way bigger upsides to the 85D.

I do feel that the seating position is a bit higher in the 85D and there is a bit of a loftier feel to the ride, but again is planted in the corners.