Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cellular Data - Music and Mother Ship Connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somewhere in my travels I came across something that suggested the Model S data connection is 3G and runs on the Rogers network in Canada, with automatic roaming to AT&T is the USA.

Do we know if this is true?

I was sent a message to my Rogers phone a few weeks back, announcing they had 'recently turned on extended coverage' in my area. Some sleuthing around the Rogers site and it looks like they've entered into an arrangement with Bell or Telus or someone to allow roaming where the Rogers coverage is sparse (voice and data both). In BC, there are quite a few places where this would work to my advantage. It's apparently a free feature on whatever account type I use.

If Tesla is using Rogers here in Canada, I wonder if the account they're using will also allow this roaming to occur? I had to allow data roaming on my phone to enable it - default was 'off' so I didn't accidentally get hosed on data charges driving close to the border! So *if* Tesla is on this program, I wonder if there will need to be a software update or switch twiddled to enable it?

Certainly this would extend the miles of highway I would be able to enjoy streaming music!

Somewhere in my travels I came across something that suggested the Model S data connection is 3G and runs on the Rogers network in Canada, with automatic roaming to AT&T is the USA.

Do we know if this is true?

Not true. It's native AT&T 3G and roaming on Rogers 3G in Canada. If you drive your car to the States, you will be on AT&T 3G but not by way of roaming. You will find the data connection much more stable because of problems with roaming in Canada since verson 6.

Well, it certainly makes sense that it would be AT&T's account, with roaming into Canada. With the cost of cellular service up here, I expect even roaming charges in Canada would be cheaper than going the opposite route and having a Canadian cell provider as 'home'. Not to mention the cost of roaming into the States with a Canadian plan... :scared:

It would be interesting to know if an AT&T account roaming in Canada gets the added feature of roaming onto the competition's system. It would certainly be nice if it did as that would greatly extend coverage. I've found that Rogers gives equivalent coverage to the competition in BC, except where it simply doesn't offer coverage at all... like the Yellowhead highway north of Kamloops!

I wonder if the connectivity issues might have something to do with the roaming and also the 'extended coverage' roaming to the competition. I know that the informational material I read indicated I'd drop a call going from one to the other (logically enough), so I assume that the data connection could also have some trouble making a smooth transition. However, if it means streaming music and having map data in more places, a dropout now and then would be an acceptable cost - for me anyway.

All this makes me wonder what will happen when the included data coverage expires in... what is it... four years from purchase? What will renewing look like for a Canadian customer? Will we pay Tesla for the service or get into the quagmire of needing a US address for a US account... or be stuck to pay for a Canadian connection?

Last posts are a month old but I'm new :biggrin: I think Canuck meant connecting the car through your phone's mobile wifi hotpsot... I've read that is possible for getting the car on an internet connection outside of its built-in 3G (and in fact it should mean we can get the car's connection speed boosted). I'm very thankful this is an option to be honest, as I fear the monthly plan will not be anywhere near $10 and the car doesn't seem to be so happy to be disconnected from the internet.

Last posts are a month old but I'm new :biggrin: I think Canuck meant connecting the car through your phone's mobile wifi hotpsot... I've read that is possible for getting the car on an internet connection outside of its built-in 3G (and in fact it should mean we can get the car's connection speed boosted). I'm very thankful this is an option to be honest, as I fear the monthly plan will not be anywhere near $10 and the car doesn't seem to be so happy to be disconnected from the internet.

I did mean that but beeeerock rightly pointed out that when you are away from your car (and not at a place like your home or office when it may be able to be on wifi) you'd lose connection with it through the app since you'd have your phone with you, so the car has no connection. It's a good point to consider. Anyways, no use being concerned about this until it happens.

There are other ways to do this as well. You can use a mobile wifi hotspot in your car that you leave in the car - assuming that Tesla still provides power to the USB ports when turned off then this can maintain a connection when you leave the car. I have one of these - you can add them to your Rogers account for $10/month and just aggregate all of your data. But you still have to buy the device which can cost anywhere from $50-$200 or so.

There are other ways to do this as well. You can use a mobile wifi hotspot in your car that you leave in the car - assuming that Tesla still provides power to the USB ports when turned off then this can maintain a connection when you leave the car. I have one of these - you can add them to your Rogers account for $10/month and just aggregate all of your data. But you still have to buy the device which can cost anywhere from $50-$200 or so.
If you're going to do that, it would be better to just add the SIM from your car to your existing account and pay the $10 that allows it to share data from your cell plan. Then no need for a hotspot or charging, etc.