Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 inch Wheels in Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I've been lurking for months and can't believe how helpful the forums have been to my sanity. My 3 month wait is almost over and I should have my car in the next couple of weeks.

I ordered the P85D with 19s but I'm considering the 21s. Wondering if those driving in the Toronto area have any experience with them. The forums seems to indicate they are prone to blowouts and harsh ride but they look awesome.

Thanks again for keeping me going during my wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I've been lurking for months and can't believe how helpful the forums have been to my sanity. My 3 month wait is almost over and I should have my car in the next couple of weeks.

I ordered the P85D with 19s but I'm considering the 21s. Wondering if those driving in the Toronto area have any experience with them. The forums seems to indicate they are prone to blowouts and harsh ride but they look awesome.

Thanks again for keeping me going during my wait.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems my jitters are showing through now. Sorry about the multiple posts.

I don't know that there's any magic formula here. If you drive in an area with potholes (most of Canada) or hit the odd curb (most drivers), you'll likely end up regretting them. I learned this lesson with my wife's Audi, and decided not to repeat it with the Tesla.

Add in the harsher ride, reduced range and reduced tire life and the 21s are just not a good deal UNLESS you really feel that you need the looks of those extra 2 inches. Personally I don't.

Welcome!

I love my 21's and I live and drive in Toronto. I have 19' winter wheels which I assume you'll eventually get if you go with the 21's.

I have had zero issues with the 21's, and I've hit some nasty potholes with them. I have the air suspension, and to me, the difference in ride quality is negligible.

In my opinion, the car just looks "right" on 21's. 19's are too small.

I live in the GTA and had the 21" turbine wheels. Last year I hit a pothole which caused a flat tire (sidewall) when driving on the Conestoga Parkway in Kitchener. It was a relatively big pothole, but I don't think that it would have caused a flat with 19" wheels. In addition to the flat tire, even though I was extra careful, I managed to damage all of my wheels with various levels of curb rash due to their very low profile. It seems that the 21" wheels are quite sensitive to curb rash.

As a result, I decided to switch to the TST Sportline 19" turbine wheels, and have been quite happy with my decision.

The 21" wheels look great, but for someone who does a lot of driving in the GTA area, I wouldn't recommend them.

dj905

Anyone running 20's as a happy medium?

How much do the Tesla 19" and 21" wheels weigh?

I believe it's 30lbs for the 19's and 35lbs for the 21's.

I bought 2 sets of lightweight aftermarket 19's (23.3lbs and 20lbs). So glad I did. No flat tires/blowouts in 48,000km of driving. And IMO they look better than the 21" turbines, especially now that my car sits 1" lower.

Last edited:
What does everyone do once they have a blowout/flat from a pothole ? Wait for a Tow truck?!

In my case, I called Tesla Service, and had to wait over an hour for a tow truck. The tow truck took me home, at my request, since I had the ability to change to a spare in my garage. It would have been quicker to ask a family member to bring me the spare and tools to my location (which was about 45 minutes from my home).

I have occasionally taken a spare (e.g. winter tire and wheel) and tools with me on longer trips.

David

I believe it's 30lbs for the 19's and 35lbs for the 21's.

I bought 2 sets of lightweight aftermarket 19's (23.3lbs and 20lbs). So glad I did. No flat tires/blowouts in 48,000km of driving. And IMO they look better than the 21" turbines, especially now that my car sits 1" lower.
Thanks for the feedback. I am also looking at lightweight options for my P85D that I've ordered. I will keep the OE 19's for use as winter wheels and use whatever lightweight option I choose for summers.