Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of lifetime (miles) can you expect out of a set of tires on Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many miles are people getting out of a set of tires on the Model S?

This will vary depending on the type of tires, road conditions and how you drive. I have seen big differences between vehicles I have had:

On a Mercedes E250D (diesel), I got over 75k miles per set - but this car did a lot of interstate miles.
On a Mercedes SLK 280, I am getting about 25k miles per set; these are high speed rated and very sticky for performance driving. Mixed town and interstate driving.
On a LEAF, I am getting 25k miles per set. These are the inexpensive tires that came as original equipment on the car. All in-town driving.

Since the Model S has a high top speed, high speed rated tires would be required; with doing performance driving with a heavy car, they should have a high traction rating ("sticky"). So I would think 25k miles per set would be what to expect on the model S. Is this what people are experiencing? Also, I would assume Model S will require expensive tires ($400 each) - right? I'm just wanting to make my expectations realistic when planning for this car...

Depends on the wheel size and tire compound, whether you rotate the tires on a regular basis, etc. I know of owners with the 19" Goodyear "all" season that have gotten 25-30K, and the 21" Continental summer-tires that went at about 10K miles.

Odometer currently at 72.000km/44.700miles. First set (OEM) were the 21" Continentals. They were very, very bad. Lasted only 10k miles with non-aggresive driving (bad weather).

Second set were the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (21"), lasted me 18k miles with aggresive driving thru summer without tire rotating. Rear wheels still had some thread left, but replaced them anyway.
Driving on the Micheling Pilot Super Sport now and they drive better than the PS2. Can almost push the pedal down near the bottom when it rains (P85) without traction control kicking in.

Also, according to tirerack the Super Sport have threadwear 300 while the PS2 only has 220. So they should last around ~ 25k miles I suppose?

Treadwear ratings are pretty meaningless and are manipulated by manufacturers, unfortunately. I had a set of 19" Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 that were treadwear 400 rated, had tire warranty of 50K miles on regular car, that only made 15K miles before down to 3/32.

You get to choose - tires and range vs. brake pads and brake jobs. :)

I would imagine that wheel size (19", 20", or 21") and air vs. coil suspension to be big differentiators in addition to the compound of the tire itself too.

- - - Updated - - -

As a point of comparison, I have a 2006 Toyota 4Runner as well. The Dunlops that came with it lasted 40k miles and the Michelins on it now have lasted 50k (and still have a ways to go before replacement).

At 20K I have worn out both my 19" Primacy MXM4 (summer) and my 19" Pirelli Sottozero's (winter). I did a lot of aggressive curvy road driving my first year and now am mellowing a bit. I just put 19" Continental DWS on for my summer tires and will rotate them at 2500- 3000 miles. I will be buying some Michelin Ice3 for my winter tires. Hopefully we will actually get some snow next year, the dry roads with gravel/grit really worn my Pirelli Sottozero's down very quickly.

I've gone 70,000 km with my all season goodyears - so far. They look like they can handle another 30,000 or so. Model SP, 19 in, air.

I quit doing quick acceleration from zero. I hit full throttle only when the car is rolling about 15 km/h. Somebody here in the forum taught me to save rubber this way.

The service center does a great job of aligning the wheels. I check tire pressure regularly and adjust as needed.

I have the 19" Goodyear all seasons... First set lasted ~32.5k miles. I probably could have eked out another 1k miles before they really needed to be replaced...

Tire Rack had a very good price on them, so I stayed with the same tire when replaced in Feb...

Totally depends on model and configuration. For my P85+ with 21's...not a hell of a lot. Getting new tires tomorrow, as a matter of fact. I got 9K out of the rears, which is actually pretty good. I have heard many who have only gotten 5K. The fronts are fine. But I am moving from Michelins to Hankooks in the hopes of doing better and doing all corners at once. I am also very carefully aligning the wheels based on what I have learned here at TMC. It's a totally different story with 19's. You can get 20K plus easily. Check the threads. There is a lot of info on this topic.

Very interesting to see the numbers here! After one year and 40k miles my front tires (the original 19 inch Primacy) are still good. The rear tires had to be replaced due to a flat at around 20 k miles. Now these new ones (cheap Goodyear) already have less thread than the front tires despite having half the miles. I drive very gentle and hardly use the brakes.